[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of KSP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: kerbal-space-program.jpg (130KB, 1341x744px) Image search: [Google]
kerbal-space-program.jpg
130KB, 1341x744px
Do you people think Kerbal Space Program is a legit base for learning some simple engineering concepts or not?
>>
It's fantastic for teaching an understanding of orbital mechanics and how rockets work on a basic level (staging etc.). Not much beyond that though, and some things may even lead to an incorrect expectation of how things work in real life (for example, rocket nozzles).
>>
>>8396243
>rocket wobbles
>keep adding struts until it stops
Kerbals Space Program provides a realistic simulation of being an engineer.
>>
Bump. Any good tutorials to start on this game?
>>
In a video game you know there is a way to succeed. The reality is more bitter, there may not be a way to succeed and even with your best efforts you might fail and be left wondering whether you are not good enough or it is simply not possible.

What a video game can do is present a difficult challenge where you have to be at your best and iron out your flaws to complete it in a reasonable amount of time. It gives you feedback about whether you are doing the right thing or not. It can help you be your own critic and maintain high standards in real life where you rarely get this kind of accurate feedback.
>>
It's especially good if you install mods that increase the realism factor

It's a 10/10 game if you use kerboscript and learn to automate the physics behind piloting your rockets and planes
>>
>>8396243
It helped me visualize basic orbital mechanics while I was teaching them to myself, plus it helped me understand basic rocketry a lot more.
Otherwise it's just an entertaining lighthearted game about rockets, not meant to be THAT educational.
>>
>>8396243
I felt so fucking proud when i landed on the mun, I've gotta say it really helped me visualize how hard real rocketry must be
>>
>engineering
not in the slightest

>basics of rocketry
absolutely
>>
>>8396243
It's very good and mods provide lots of content, but the dev team is absolute cancer
>>
>>8396243
It's fun, but doesn't provide a lot of in-depth information how anything actually works
for a more realistic approach, try orbiter, although you won't be able to build your own rockets.
In orbiter, you can launch the Space shuttle, dock with the ISS, and return. quite a challenge on the first try, but so worth it.
>>
>>8397551
How so?
>>
Orbiter is better when it comes to simulating spaceflight, so it's better for learning.

As ksp is shit with that and starts hy not being able to simulate the n-body problem in the first place.
>>
>>8396243
KSP is over and finished. Squad killed it.
>>
No plumbing therefore it's shit.
>>
>>8397708
>implying plumbing is the only thing wrong with it
it's a fucking arcade game, you can only expect so much realism. You're not simulating a solidworks simulation in real time with several celestial bodies here, it's not literally rocket science.
>>
>>8396243
Im sorry idiot, but you have stumbled into a fighter of the mind, and no matter how much you insist on being a violence builly, i have read books all my life so i have an armor against idiots. Youre inferior non knowledge powers do nothign to me, so prepare to fight with thoughts or be declared inferiors to me dear sir.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.