[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Our Universe a Simulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: simulationTheory.jpg (112KB, 660x331px) Image search: [Google]
simulationTheory.jpg
112KB, 660x331px
I'm just a dumb layman, but it seems a lot of renowned, respected scientists are more and more buying into Simulation Theory.

What does /sci/ think? Is any of this real?
>>
>>8396091
>Is any of this real?
No, it's all simulated.

>respected scientists are more and more buying into Simulation Theory
probably just shills paid to promote the upcoming release of the matrix trilogy in 4k quality or sum shit.
>>
>>8396091
>renowned, respected scientists

black science man isn't renowned nor respected
>>
>>8396091
A ton of evidence points towards it. Take for example the transition between micro and macro, which is much like walking towards a distant character in a videogame and higher resolution textures/eye candy effects being loaded as you get closer. An atom behaves according to QM, but a billiard ball does not behave like 10^24 atoms, it obeys Newton's laws, a vast simplification. Much like in the analogy, we do not need such a high resolution once we zoom out.
Then there is the fact that non commuting variables share a precision according to the uncertainty principle, as if they're regulated by one set of floating points or something.
In another thread an anon even came up with a way how you could save on RAM by modeling things with waves instead of particles, which could be what the duality comes from.

Now the important part is finding ways to determine for sure if we're in one, by finding glitches and such.
>>
>>8396132
>by finding glitches and stuff
Black holes
>>
>>8396132
To make things clear, in the billiard ball example what I'm talking about is how the computation is done, not necessarily how we model it. They do a simplification and calculate not the many body (10^24) wave function, but just "spherical object of mass m" according to Newton's laws to make the calculation tractable. Something like that would be necessary to run a simulation since obviously you can't possibly calculate the many body wavefunction of the entire universe, even if the simulation isn't running in realtime.
>>
>>8396091
>Is Our Universe a Simulation?

No, it's worse than that.

The matrix is wireless.

Get a faraday cage.
>>
>>8396091

Nah, if you had the ability to make a universe simulation as complicated as what our universe would be as a simulation, you wouldn't make it so shitty and largely empty. Also cultures tend to increase in morality and decrease in harm to others as they progress in technology. So one as advanced as what would be required to create an enormous high quality universe simulation wouldn't because they'd be subjecting billions of new lives to horrible illness, economic hardship, starvation, and suffering in general.
>>
>>8396091
its a simulation and our lord jesus christ is the admin
>>
>>8396091
I think it's unfalsifiable.

>>8396132
A billiard ball doesn't obey Newton's laws.
Newton's laws are capable of modelling and predicting the behavior of the billiard ball in that situation.
And I'm fairly certain from what I know that the reasoning for that is that the behavior of the individual atoms and their components is probabilistic and as such balanced out on the macro scale.
If I toss a coin then each toss might be heads or tails but the ratio when employing very large sample sizes is going to even out to 50%, assuming an ideally balanced coin.

In a way, you can argue that the evidence might point towards it but ultimately this evidence is probably just as capable of existing if the idea weren't true.

I wouldn't even know what you'd define as a glitch, since they might just be the result of a flaw of our modelling rather than the result of a flaw in thing we are modelling.
>>
>>8396183
Irnto despair, moralcunt.
>>
>>8396183

>if you had the ability to make a universe simulation as complicated as what our universe would be as a simulation, you wouldn't make it so shitty and largely empty

What if it is randomly generated for example to observe creation of life and evolution?

>Also cultures tend to increase in morality and decrease in harm to others as they progress in technology.

There is very limited data on this

>So one as advanced as what would be required to create an enormous high quality universe simulation wouldn't because they'd be subjecting billions of new lives to horrible illness, economic hardship, starvation, and suffering in general.

Simulated life doesn't equal real life. You simulate disasters to avoid them in real life.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.