[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IQ Improvement As To Promote Efficient Cognition:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: humanbrain.jpg (350KB, 1164x824px) Image search: [Google]
humanbrain.jpg
350KB, 1164x824px
/Sci/ whilst I understand that some of you respect the measurement of intelligence quotient and some of you do not, I remain reticent. What I care about, is the use of increasing one's IQ for the purpose of promoting efficient cognitive patterns.

Therefore, I ask those of you with the knowledge of how to do so to enlighten me with the requisite information required to start on both a physical and mental training programme as to better myself before I become too old, too slow and too complacent.

The information I require is as follows: brain training software, using practice IQ tests; nutritional tailoring (promoting both general physical and neurological health) and the efficacy of supplements (including nootropics), surplus information would be welcomed also.

Helpful information about myself: as for neurological conditions, I am diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and was diagnosed in my youth with ADHD, though upon last review several years ago the practitioner considered the diagnosis spurious. As for use of supplements, in the past I have tried nootropics (Noopept, Pramiracetam and Alpha-GPC) and am currently a chronic user of caffeine, something I am trying to rectify into normality.

Thank you for your time; if you require any further information to make informed judgements, do not hesitate to ask.
>>
Lumosity
>>
>>8396144
Is it effective?
>>
>>8396016
>/Sci/ whilst I understand that some of you respect the measurement of intelligence quotient and some of you do not

Understand that IQ threads and anything else related to psychology do not belong on /sci/ you frothing faggot.
>>
>>8396163
>Getting offended by the inoffensive.
Perhaps if you weren't such an effete I might value that opinion.

Now, do you have anything constructive?

Not to mention, I am looking to improve my cognitive ability via neurological means (neuropsychology), not by psychological means
>>
>>8396160
No, they don't work at all.
>>
>>8396176
Wouldn't practising effective cognitive patterns, such as pattern recognition improve that skill by promoting neurogenesis in related neurons?
>>
If you're gonna spend hundreds of hours training you should just acquire an actual skill instead of just trying to 'boost your IQ.' It'll probably still sharpen your brain and have the added benefit of not being a huge waste of time.
>>
>>8396188
I'm doing active subject based study concurrent my training routine.
>>
File: pierre_deligne.jpg (8KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
pierre_deligne.jpg
8KB, 200x252px
* Meditation (anapanasati): think of the time wasted because you weren't concentrated or in the right mood.
Think of the good work you did in an a day you felt OK.
* Diet: ketogenic diet. Look at the Wikipedia pages and on /r/keto. It may take months to adapt.
* Diet: intermittent fasting. Eat ONLY dinner. Fully awake all day long.
* Physical exercise: not too much though. Absolutely necessary.
* Don't sit for too much time. There always are new studies about this.
* Very tight sleep schedule and get the right amount of it.
* Study mathematics like a madman.
>>
>>8396180
A series of long ass studies determined that no it does not in any permanent or useful way.

Now you could look into deep brain stimulation to increase math abilities. Or the performance enhancing drug that seems capable of increasing cognition in those with depressive or bipolar disorders.
>>
>>8396301
>Now you could look into deep brain stimulation
Tdcs seems to work for some people:
https://thebrainstimulator.net/.
/r/tdcs.
>to increase math abilities
Doing mathematics is the first stem.
This board is made for the most part of slobs.
Even if you guide them step by step, they will fail.
>>
>>8396307
Yeah but it's a thing neither here nor there. If it's easier to add a couple numbers or see something in 3D in your head then it can help with learning or expanding already present abilities however minor the end result is.

I'd suggest learning how to discipline your mind and control various bodily functions. It takes a lot of time but it also helps store memories in efficient fashions so that they can be retrieved at a later time.
>>
>>8396016
why would you want to improve your test results?
Even if IQ tests measured intelligence ideally, what is the point of training for the test? Shouldn't you be "training your intelligence" to perform whatever task you actually want to do? Like studying for your career or hobby?

If you want to improve at math, study math. If you want to improve at physics study physics.
If you want to score 200 points on an IQ test, then study for the test, I guess.
>>
File: 1471203921874s.jpg (3KB, 110x125px) Image search: [Google]
1471203921874s.jpg
3KB, 110x125px
>>8396314
>I'd suggest learning how to discipline your mind and control various bodily functions. It takes a lot of time but it also helps store memories in efficient fashions so that they can be retrieved at a later time.
Can you elaborate a bit?
I'm doing yoga nidra nidra this week and I spend hours without moving every time I go to bed.
I want to consciously access to the dream state so I can work from there.
Once this becomes easier I want to access a similar state at will during the day.
I have yet to establish a consistent practice and make this long term though.
Have you any suggestion?
>>
[math]BUMP[/math]
>>
>>8396301
>Or the performance enhancing drug that seems capable of increasing cognition in those with depressive or bipolar disorders.
By the name of...
>>
>>8396298
Thank you, this was incredibly insightful.

>>8396301
>>8396307
I'll look into it, thank you.

>>8396319
I want to improve the aspects that are the constituents of IQ, such as spatial ability for pattern recognition.

>>8396342
Does method of loci work for things like this?
>>
>>8396016

How do you define 'efficient cognitive patterns'?
>>
>>8397405
>Does method of loci work for things like this?
For things like what? Controlling body functions? No. Memorization? Yeah, sure. It's basically like a form of compression. Some types of information are better suited for it than others.
>>
>>8397405
>>8397408
The aspects that go toward calculating IQ, such as memory ability and those that have a positive effect upon ability.

>>8397411
Thank you.
>>
>>8397416

>What I care about, is the use of increasing one's IQ for the purpose of promoting efficient cognitive patterns.

And now you say that efficient cognitive patterns are merely aspects towards calculating IQ.

In other words you are seeking to increase IQ with the purpose of increasing IQ?
Do you have any reason for this that is not circular?
>>
>>8397421
No, I'm saying I want to improve things like memory, or spatial ability so that I can use these things to be able to memorise information with more efficiency or recognise and solve patterns/problems more efficiently. And considering these fields comprise IQ, it should increase IQ also and therefore seeking to increase IQ would improve those individual fields.
>>
>>8397425

What information do you want to memorize?
What problems do you want to solve?
>>
>>8397429
Mathematics, physics and chemistry, I'm studying nuclear physics.
>>
>>8397433

For memorizing numbers Dominic O'Brien's system is indisputably the best.
For other abstract information which are not numbers use reification and personification of ideas then weave them into metaphors in conjunction with method of loci.
As for problem solving you will just have to solve a lot of similar problems and find out what the best in your field do by having them mentor you or interviewing them.
>>
>>8397448
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, anon.
>>
What about that dual n back thing?
>>
File: 9705138.jpg (7KB, 304x240px) Image search: [Google]
9705138.jpg
7KB, 304x240px
>>8397481
what about i dual penetrate your mother!

ha ha ha

like in sex!
>>
>>8397481
Does anyone here have experience with it?
>>
>>8396016
>increasing one's IQ for the purpose of promoting efficient cognitive patterns.

That is the point, you can study to be good at something. Studying for the IQ test is likely to only make you good at the IQ test not generally improve your ability to process and form information.
>>
>>8398773
So improving your ability to recognize patterns, wouldn't improve your ability to recognize patterns?
>>
>>8396301
Many if not all of the studies I've seen are all garbage both ways because they ignore even basic neuroscience. I mean no shit five minutes of some arbitrary task carried out over five days won't have a meaningful impact on your connectome but pyscologist won't integrate the neurosciences into their stupid field.
>>
>>8396298
>* Diet: intermittent fasting. Eat ONLY dinner. Fully awake all day long.
Ignore this asinine and uninformed advice. Speaking as someone who's actually done this, and not always by choice, it's a lot more multifaceted than this poster knows enough to convey.

Stop suggesting (parroting) things you've never actually done. If you're becoming sleepy and mentally dulled after meals, you've got other problems anyway. That's because of your garbage excuse for a diet.
>>
File: emoticon-surprised-8727436.jpg (107KB, 1300x1390px) Image search: [Google]
emoticon-surprised-8727436.jpg
107KB, 1300x1390px
>>8396298
You are a hero. Those actions lead to neurogenesis.

Thanks.

t.smileyposter
>>
>>8397404

The only drug that is PROVEN to have a nootropic effect is cocaine.
>>
File: 298015.jpg (157KB, 1500x1487px) Image search: [Google]
298015.jpg
157KB, 1500x1487px
>>8400270
You just said irrelevant shit.

Intermitent fasting is proven to be linked to neurogenesis.

The lack of nutrients can be fixed before and after the I.F.

Keep deluding yourself, brainlet.
>>
>>8400283
>Neurogenesis is magic
>Ultimate cell survival isn't a thing
>Functionality during the fasting period is irrelevant
>Thinking you can spend multiple days high on stress hormones

Again, I've done this for the majority of my life, I know quite well the overall dynamic in the moment, and over time. It must be used sparingly and coupled with the proper overall diet.

Keep deluding yourself and looking for lifehacks, kid. The body is a machine, and eventually you'll need to accept an understanding of its nature rooted in realism.
>>
>>8400289
Not him but I've done actual intermittent fasting for years, that is to say the kind where you eat every other day and have never experienced any negative effects.
>>
>>8400289
>>Ultimate cell survival isn't a thing
The studies already acknowledge those events. Still the benefits are linked to great benefits.

>>Thinking you can spend multiple days high on stress hormones
It's the opposite, brainlet.

>lifehacks
What's that nerd-buzzword?
It's proven, anon.

When will brainlets learn?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.