[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he actually went to university for an undergrad in physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

>he actually went to university for an undergrad in physics
What's it like being too dumb for a pure math program and too lazy for engineering courseload?
>>
(you)
>>
physic is a whole math program + physics.

Have fun being a highschool math teacher with your useless math degree
>>
>>8395781
>physic is a whole math program + physics

undergrad physics isn't even a whole physics program, don't kid yourself

t. physics graduate
>>
i was an honors physics major at my uni and it was widely considered a more demanding and prestigious major than math or engineering
>>
>>8395954
you could say this about almost all majors. But ya, physics undergrad still leaves out 100 years worth of modern physics. You might be able to scratch on some QFT if you go full boss mode and the school lets you take a grad class (this is rare) but barely.

anyways biting the bait: 1. depends on the person 2. depends on the university departments 3. depends on the metric for intelligence 4. depends on how you extrapolate intelligence ratings per major to decide if one major requires more intelligence and finally 5. physics/astro has the highest IQ rates of any major. math is in second. do with that what you will.
>>
>>8395975
See I go to UCSB which is a mediocre school, however our physics department is consistently top rated and extremely competitive for grad level (most ranking put the physics program between #2 and #1). So obviously the physics program here is hard as fuck and well respected, where as the math department here is pretty shit. My personal opinion is that physics is harder than math, but that's just been my experience.
>>
>>8395998
#2 and #10* lol, we're not MIT.
>>
>>8395976
maybe the autistic fucks at caltech and such take grad qft but I highly doubt anyone is able to do that. you need at least a whole year of grad QM to actually get a useful footing for the subject -- this is what I meant by not even a whole physics program. not that the curriculum leaves out modern physics (1950s+), but that it doesn't even fully explain the basics of qm/relativity.

fwiw, i took a 'qft' class for undergrads my 4th year, and boy was it a disappointment. we followed griffiths' elementary particles text, it was so shit.
>>
>>8396006
>fwiw, i took a 'qft' class for undergrads my 4th year, and boy was it a disappointment. we followed griffiths' elementary particles text, it was so shit.
basically what I meant by saying you can take qft. physics is time consuming and takes a shit ton of time to learn, 4 years just isn't enough. The school is happy if you come out with at least some basic grasp of QM and a broad understanding of the basics (thermo, EM, mech., and special relativity).
>>
>Physics is harder than maths.
Keep telling yourself that brainlets ^^
>>
Some people are good at formal proofs. Some people are good by reasoning through analogy and have good intuition on things. I am of the former so physics is hard for me. As a math major, I apologize for the retards in this thread (I am pretty sure surveys have been done on average IQ and GRE scores by major and physics scores at the top).
>>
>>8396751
If you don't have intuition in maths you're fucked. Lots of reasonning by analogy too.
Undergrad right ?
You'll learn that you are a brainlet, and you'll switch to applied maths or physics.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.