[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DNA and RNA Replication (+Transcription and Translation)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 3prime5prime.jpg (90KB, 469x285px) Image search: [Google]
3prime5prime.jpg
90KB, 469x285px
Let's have a thread about this today.
As we know, in DNA Replication the Helicase (which I believe is an enzyme) separates the double-helix of the DNA strand, and from there a complementary copy of the gene is created as mRNA.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate further.
In RNA Replication, there are two processes, Transcription and Translation.
In both there are three steps, Translation happening after the former, Initiation, Elongation, and Termination.
In Initiation, the RNA Polymerase binds to the Promoter, just under the TATA Cap.
From there, the Codons are "read" and the proccess starts when the "Start Codon" (AUG/Methianine) is found, and from there replication follows the Leading Strand going 5'->3' (I'm probably wrong) attaching the new nucleotide at the spot where the next 3' is, the Lagging Strand (3'->5') being synthesized in Okazaki Fragments along the way.
After it's all completed, a "Stop Codon" is read, of which there are three, and that signals transcription to stop.
After that is Translation, where to start, the created mRNA is sent out of the Nucleolus and to the Ribosomes on the Endoplasmic Reticulum. From there, tRNA (I'm still foggy about where it's created) enters the Ribosome in its P spot, the other two being E and A, and in order from Left-to-Right, EPA, with the proper Anticodon for the Codon contained by the mRNA. Then an "assembly line" type of thing happens as each added nucleotide is separated from its base, and the old base is replace by the new one, being ejected from the "E" port in the Ribosome, and having been taken in from the "A" port.

Well, that's all I got so far.
Anyone got some corrections or elaborations?
>>
File: slide_4.jpg (96KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
slide_4.jpg
96KB, 960x720px
you forget the polyadenylation (addition of adenine nucleotides at the 3' of the RNA transcript) that ends the termination process and after that, the RNA splicing (intron/exon).
>>
>>8393898
Ah, yea, thank you.
The Polyadenyl is just that long strand of A's at the end to keep the RNA from degrading iirc.

I apologize for the lame question as well, but what exactly are Introns?
Are they just unneeded pieces of code, and are therefore spliced out, or is it something else?
>>
>>8393953
they are unneeded, or they contain skipped exons, or they serve as a mutation pool, or they have regulatory sequences/secondary structures. it all depends.
>>
>>8393953
>The Polyadenyl is just that long strand of A's at the end to keep the RNA from degrading iirc.
it's got like tons or protein sticking to it and also some weird loops that do some regulation or even anchoring iirc.
>>
>>8393978
Ah, alright.
Whatever the fuck your genes decide I guess.

>>8393986
Yeah, I heard that somewhere too.
That bit's a little confusing isn't it?
Perhaps the looping adds enzymes to speed up the transcription, if there's protein stuck to the A cap?
>>
File: intron roles.png (84KB, 780x528px) Image search: [Google]
intron roles.png
84KB, 780x528px
>>8393953
They have a LOT of roles, some of them still being researched.

When in the genome, they can act as transcription regulators (sequences that start or stop transcription and the like). When they're being transcribed, they can act as time switches, as in, delaying transcription so that the protein expression coincides with another pathway product. If you remove those introns, yous shorten the sequence and the product comes earlier, causing problems in metabolic pathways and whatever function they used to serve. Introns during transcription can also be used in alternative splicing, wherein they are kept during transcription and they are translated along with the exons to yield a slightly different protein that could serve a different purpose, increasing the repertoire of proteins available without taking up more space (separate large DNA sequences). There are other functions as well, after translation, in combination with Exon junction complex, look it up if you're interested.

I attached a pic from a review paper on the role of introns that I used two years ago in an essay that outlines the role of introns, those that we know of.
>>
>>8394009
Yeah, I'd heard about Alternative Splicing before, but not the other things you've mentioned.
From what you've read, it sounds like they can cause/assist with a lot of mutations, which I wasn't aware of.

And thank you for pointing me toward that Exon Junction Complex thing, I'll be checking it out.
>>
>>8394021
Fuck, meant "said", not "read."
>>
Sometimes the DNA is methylated and therefore locked' from being transcribed. Might want to look into this if you're interested.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/The-Role-of-Methylation-in-Gene-Expression-1070
>>
>>8394009
Do we now how many intrones does, for example, human DNA consist? I can't find numbers, it's only said that procaryotes have much less of them than eucatyotes.
>>
>>8395368
Methylation is also used by bacteria to prevent their anti-phage endonucleases from damaging their own DNA
>>
>>8395452
We don't even know exactly how many genes humans have yet. It won't be until after we know that that we can know exact data on introns
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.