[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/ aspirations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 19

File: Nikola-Tesla-Electricity1.jpg (165KB, 809x409px) Image search: [Google]
Nikola-Tesla-Electricity1.jpg
165KB, 809x409px
1. your field
2. your aspirations in that field
>>
>>8393298
>Physics
>Make time travelling happen
>>
>>8393298
>Mathematics
>Make mathematics great again
>>
>>8393298
>Mathematics
>Make America great again
>>
>>8393298
>CS
>Human level AI
>>
>Machine Learning
>Biologically plausible neural learning algorithms
>>
>Applied math
>Make money with the least effort
>>
>>8393298
>Biology
>Immortality
>>
>>8393421
Please hurry man. Make it affordable too. Make it part of the obama care pack please.
>>
>Mechanical Engineering
>Suck cock
>>
> Mechatronics Engineering
> Get rich, while improving automation tech.

Then use the money to fund and work freely on research in these memes:
>>8393412
>>8393415
>>8393421
>>
>>8393403
I'm guessing you're very new to your field
>>
>>8393427
just come to Europe, it will become part of universal healthcare eventually
>>
File: 1958cf00c2484b88bdb912593639342b.jpg (541KB, 2480x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1958cf00c2484b88bdb912593639342b.jpg
541KB, 2480x1500px
>Aerospace
>SSTOs
>>
File: 1415145101040.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1415145101040.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>8393420
Are you me?
>>
>>8393298
1. mathematics
2.make models predicting people's behavior and fuck them over for money
>>
>>8393298
>Optics
>Develop a microscope that beats the diffraction limit
>>
1. math
2. to get a degree
>>
>mathematical physics
>discover the true interpretation of quantum mechanics, and also possibly develop a theory of quantum gravity
>>
>>8393460
I saw you in the last thread of this kind. I remember you because of the quantum gravity shit.

Have you made any progress since the last thread?
>>
>>8393470
>Have you made any progress since the last thread?
not him, but lmao
>>
>>8393470
Not sure when that was, but yes I've been making progress. I believe I do have an interpretation for certain aspects of quantum mechanics. The theory is still at a very early stage though.
>>
>>8393482
Why have you not yet accepted the relative state interpretation?
>>
>>8393481
I know, it is kinda funny but that is how things are. Everyone knows Gregori Perelman posted here every day in career threads.

>>8393482
>The theory is still at a very early stage though.

Something is something.
See you next thread, space cowboy.
>>
File: Neko_army_girls.png (426KB, 518x694px) Image search: [Google]
Neko_army_girls.png
426KB, 518x694px
>>8393298
>Genetics
>Dominante the world with an army of neko supersoldiers
>>
>>8393493
>Gregori Perelman
wait what
you're memeing me, right?
>>
>CS
>make the world's best video game
>>
>>8393488
It's certainly a lot better than Copenhagen. But the fact that people still can't agree on an interpretation means that work still needs to be done.
>>
>CS
>human companion-level AI, various problems in the theory of computation, and a few open problems in fringe areas of cryptography
>>
physics

i just wanna understand everything man
>>
Biology

To retrain and leave this shitty career.
>>
Chemistry

Rake in green
>>
>Physics
>Just to become a lecturer and research fellow at a decentish university
>>
>>8393421
Same desu.I want to become a pharmacist so I can develop cool drugs to beat aging.If not i'll just sell opiates to addicts.
>>
File: 1475368246220.jpg (15KB, 300x342px) Image search: [Google]
1475368246220.jpg
15KB, 300x342px
>Math
>Discover link between prime numbers
>>
>Chemical & Nuclear engineering
>fusion power
>>
>biology
>to develop superbugs
>>
>>8393298
I'm an aspiring mathematician.
I want to work for the NSA using prime numbers to fight hackers
>>
File: supervirgin.png (214KB, 963x539px) Image search: [Google]
supervirgin.png
214KB, 963x539px
>>8393298
>your field
Computer Science!

>your aspirations in that field
I want to work for Google!!
>>
>>8393298
CS
I want to make video games
>>
>Electrical Engineering
>Money
>>
>higher categories and homotopy
>rebuild and refurbish existing frameworks to facilitate a general abstract theory relying on the fundamental concepts of cohesion, duality, truncation versus connectivity, bundles theory, and translations between the languages of k-cells and j-cells

>linguistics
>construct a language that lends itself to discussions involving dialecticism and related philosophical schools, using monadic "phonemes" that are adjoined coincidental to the formulation of their Aufhebung; the language's descriptive power should allow for more nuanced discussion of ideas than most naturally languages provide

>computation
>develop a theory of computation that better emulates the process of information dissipating through a network, while altering network paths dynamically in time; the idea is to move away from "foundational" systems of computation (Turing machines/lambda calculus) to better facilitate the simulation of emergent systems in nature and biology

>philosophy
>draw a clear distinction between foundational and phenomenological systems: foundational systems (represented in logic as recursively enumerable systems/sets) are reducible to simple pieces which interact in complex ways, while every object can be decomposed into atomic parts, whereas phenomenological systems satisfy the rule that an object may be identified with the data describing its relationship to the rest of the system (examples include natural languages, which grow dynamically, and where a word cannot be entirely defined simply using other words)

That's about it. Any anons doing similar work?
>>
>>8393441
whats the name of this beast
>>
>>8393559
I feel the same way, but wanting to know everything has only slowed me down. It is difficult to ask question after question trying to dive deeper only to get to the conclusion of we just don't know after a certain point. But it does seem physics is the field that will help us understand more of the fundamentals.

Good luck
>>
>>8394457
damn that looks smart
good job anon
>>
>>8394457
> the language's descriptive power should allow for more nuanced discussion of ideas than most naturally languages provide
Care to elaborate? What kind of ideas would be easier to talk? What can even possibly help this?
>>
>>8394952
Yeah, my ideas started developing when I realized that some languages express certain ideas better than others, and in fact languages (especially primary languages) greatly influence the development of the mind (Whorfianism). If you examine English, for example, it is very well-developed for discussing complicated situations involving time and tense. However, German is definitely better adapted for constructing new words when necessary. I don't know enough French, but I get the impression that it benefits from a looser grammatical structure, or that the grammatical structure has a greater influence on the semantics.

So, the idea is to construct a language that makes it easy to not just say things like, "I am a human," but to say it with extreme nuance so that further elaboration is unnecessary, so something more like, "That part of my awareness which recognizes its own existence also recognizes that it is biologically human." Sort of how Ithkuil allows for insane specificity, but this language would be easier to learn because it would be inherently "philosophical," and word construction would be just as important as word choice (no fixed dictionary, just type constructors for new words).
>>
>>8394457
>computation

How do you see this happening?
>>
>>8393421
Don't, Immortality will cause the end of the world as we know it now.
>>
>>8395397
Or at least wait until we have robots advanced enough to do our jobs
>>
>medicine
>becoming the next mengele
>>
>>8395378
I have already constructed models and have developed an analogue of logic gates, using weighted graphs and defining a process by which information propagates through the graph while altering the weights according to a rule. A lot of emergent behavior crops up, but there are useful global patterns arising in even simple systems. The goal is to provide a theoretical framework to support the development of entirely different types of computers, which would instead rely on their underlying topology and alter themselves rather than simulate Turing machines. The goal is not definite computation, but rather to manipulate the existence of said global patterns to approximate solutions to problems,. in much the same way brains do.
>>
>>8395413
Very interesting, anon. Do you have any graphics of these models so I can better understand? It sounds complicated
>>
File: gk175-1.jpg (771KB, 4011x2326px) Image search: [Google]
gk175-1.jpg
771KB, 4011x2326px
>>8393441
>memeSTOs
>on the 3rd shittiest planet in the system
reusability > cuckstos
>>
>Applied Mathematics
>Become an Actuary or Quantitative Analyst
>>
>>8393298
>feminist studies
>smash the patriarchy for once
>>
>>8393298
>Physics
>Cold Fusion bby
>>
>>8395420
I was simulating them with pen and paper in my notebook, but maybe I will try and program a simulation. Stay tuned, I may have it in the next few weeks. I was trying to avoid computer simulations because it sort of defeats the fact that I want to use these as an alternative to foundational computation. It can't hurt, though!
>>
>>8393298

>marine biology
>i really like eating seafood and would like to continue eating it for the foreseeable future

also see: scuba diving, tropical islands, boats
>>
>mathematics
>actuary
>>
>>8395413
Sounds like neural nets.

I'm guessing your focus area is on learning weights and network topology in novel ways. I suggest you look at feedback alignment, one of the most promising novel neural learning algos
>>
>>8394901
Just keep ideas in ur head while doing everyday stuff, real advice.
>>
File: 1410039769998.jpg (62KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1410039769998.jpg
62KB, 640x628px
>>8394389
Protip: they all can't be divided by anything than temselves and 1 to give integer.

You're welcome.
>>
>>8393298
>software eneering
>security professional
or
>computer vision
>>
File: shpoongettiz.jpg (47KB, 450x318px) Image search: [Google]
shpoongettiz.jpg
47KB, 450x318px
>Bioengineering
>tissue culture to create synthetic pussy
>>
>physics, specifically condensed matter physics
>self learning solid state chemistry

>metamaterials or high/room temperature superconductors
>>
>>8393298
Biomed
Physician

>>8395532
Pretty sure that literally wouldn't be too difficult
>>
File: more spaghetti.jpg (44KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
more spaghetti.jpg
44KB, 450x450px
>>8395594
I know but ther's not enough ruch virgins to fund such important research.
>>
>Chemistry
>I want to start a cartel
>>
>Physical Chemistry
>T14 law school and a cozy career as a patent troll
>>
>>8393421
godspeed, anon
>>
What the fuck is wrong with the chemfags in this thread?
>>
>>8395639
We have actual goals not
>duh colonise mers
>muh-muh numeral analysis
>>
File: ignatiev.jpg (5KB, 139x156px) Image search: [Google]
ignatiev.jpg
5KB, 139x156px
>undergrad jerkoff thread
>>
>mech eng, probably going to do a maths postgrad
>literally no idea. I know that geometry makes my dick hard though
>>
>>8395639
They're high-schoolers or first years... like 99% of /sci/.
>>
>>8394427
>working for the worst and most evil hackers in human history
>>
> Game Theory
> be new Rubinstein
>>
>>8395490
Yes, I found out about neural nets after I began working on the project. The key difference (I think) is that neural nets do not dynamically alter themselves. Is that the case?
>>
>>8393298
>Math
>Any job I want 300k starting
>>
>>8393298

>Biology(more oriented to biotecnology but that won't appear on the curriculum)
>My job expectations are so low, with a shit curriculum over a degree that, even if everything goes fine from now on, would have cost me 7 years and a shit median, I'm expecting joining my national army or the french foreign legion(I know 3 languages)
>>
physics
something not related to physics
>>
>>8395359
>I don't know enough French, but I get the impression that it benefits from a looser grammatical structure, or that the grammatical structure has a greater influence on the semantics.
nah.
>>
>>8396059
>would have cost me 7 years
wut
>>
>>8393420

should have chosen management
>>
>>8396078

Whups! I confused the tenses.

Just ignore the "have"
>>
>>8393447

with algebraic topology?
>>
>>8394456

Should have chosen applied math
>>
>>8396059
Lmfao. Bio major here, in final year also planning to join the legion. See you in Auvergne, comrade.
>>
Pure mathematics and Computer Science
I have a lot of ideas, but one things I consistently think about doing is creating an algorithm (not brute force) that can quickly determine the fastest route through a series of different points. (Like multiple locations on a trip)
>>
>>8393298
>Mathematics
>Make mathematics and America great again
>>
File: FX_21B___Spade___by_Norsehound.png (221KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FX_21B___Spade___by_Norsehound.png
221KB, 800x600px
>>8393298
>CS/Robotics
>help make drones for some aerospace company
>move on and start my own drone making company
I feel like the robots and death machine fantasies should have worn off by now but they haven't
>>
>>8396044
> neural nets do not dynamically alter themselves

Do you mean in the case of changing weights or by topology. If it is the second, you should take a look at self-organising maps and neural gas. These networks are able to learn and alter their topology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyDhQn6p4c
>>
>>8396197

pls do some exoskeleton for space explorations
>>
File: 12345436543.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
12345436543.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
>>8393493
>I know, it is kinda funny but that is how things are. Everyone knows Gregori Perelman posted here every day in career threads.
>archive or it didn't happen
>>
>>8394457

in which field are you trained/educated?
or have you received degrees in many of these areas?
>>
>>8394457
are you willing to sacrifice your reputation/status to achieve greatness if it so demands?
>>
>>8395403
This desu
>>
>>8393298
>Motorsports
>Win

also
>cs/robotics/machine learning
>put it in motorsports
>then win

for now this is the plan. for later, i don't know yet. either move on to apply my knowledge in terms of cs/robotics/machine learning to something else or move on to apply my ability to lead in motorsports and win even more. or something entirely different, i'm open to pretty much anything and i never plan more than 5 years ahead. important thing is always having things to do i love doing.
>>
>>8393298
My aspirations have nothing to do with my field, I want to create consciousness in machines. Never going to happen though.

I guess if I have to:
1. Computational Geophysics
2. A job..?
>>
>>8396214
I meant weights, although altering topology is also very interesting. Thanks for the link!
>>
>>8396259
Friend, I am just a hermit devoted to expanding human wisdom. Nothing, including my reputation, stands above that.
>>
>>8394379
>glorified retail workers
>developing drugs

Pick one, pleb.
You want pharmacology not pharmacy.
>>
>chemistry
>invent the next zyklon B
>>
>Advanced LGBT philosophy
>design children's playground equipment
>>
>>8396485
science is the most admiral and selfless pursuit. thank you for your service.

do you publish in journals or write a book like euclid?
>>
>>8393421
good luck anon, we're pulling for you.
>>
>>8395359

This is absolute and total bullshit. No one in linguistics takes Whorf's ideas seriously, except maybe in a very watered-down form.

Give me one example of how German is better at constructing new words than English. For that matter, also define what "looser grammatical structure" even means, because that makes no sense at all.
>>
1 neural engineering
1.5 finishing phd in december
1.75 can't quit now
2. augment human consciousness
>>
>>8396863
There seems to be a correlation between the sort of mathematics that a society does and the language that it speaks. And, regarding Whorfianism, there are tribes that speak very distinct languages and there brains operate in completely different ways from ours. I read about one example where the language changed depending on the cardinal direction in which they face while speaking, and as a result the tribespeople have incredible directional awareness. How can you say that their brains are not affected by their language?

In German, it is acceptable to concatenate words to produce new ones. How do you think things like "Nullstellensatz" come about? Regarding grammatical structure, in some languages the pitch of the words spoken affect the meaning, and there is a stricter grammar involved with an extra dimension. I want a loose grammatical structure, made up for by descriptiveness of other parts of the language, so that these freed up dimensions of language can be utilized to convey complex connotation and add extra meaning that supersedes the syntax.
>>
Mechanical Engineer
>Build a more efficient piston engine
>>
>>8396863
Don't you think science progresses better when outsiders challenge the status quo? Or should everyone in every field just agree?
>>
>>8396879
Mathematical syntax or direction of research?
>>
>>8394440
that fuckin pic

holy mother of keks
>>
File: nskmk.jpg (27KB, 282x400px) Image search: [Google]
nskmk.jpg
27KB, 282x400px
>CS (parsing theory)
>Write with no ambiguities
>>
>CS
>not sure but i like simulating stuff
>>
>>8396879

>How can you say that their brains are not affected by their language?

I would say that they learned to pay more attention to cardinal directions than speakers of other languages. In other words, their language didn't change their brains, it just made them more likely to look at where the sun is before speaking.

>In German, it is acceptable to concatenate words to produce new ones.

Yes, just as in English. "Firetruck", "Message board", "well-known", etc. These all contain two nouns that behave syntactically as one noun. Note that the way they're written doesn't change this, by the way. The only difference between German and English here is that German insists that the words be unseparated whereas English allows for hyphens and spaces.

>Regarding grammatical structure, in some languages the pitch of the words spoken affect the meaning

What you're describing here is very broad and actually fits into two categories, namely intonation and tone. Intonation works for the majority of languages. For example, in many languages a question is marked only by changes in intonation, e.g. "escuchaste" in Spanish can mean either "did you listen?" or "you listened" depending on the presence or lack of a rising intonation at the end. This is just a suprasegmental feature of the phonology.

However, I'm guessing you're referring to pitch accent or tonal languages, like Chinese, Thai, Norwegian, etc., in which a syllable has different semantic information depending on the relative pitch it's spoken at. You're right that it's an extra consideration that doesn't exist in non-tonal languages, but I don't see what your point is by mentioning it. These languages are no more expressive than others. Instead of using tones, other languages just make their words longer or use a larger phoneme inventory.

I still don't know what you mean by "loose grammatical structure".

>>8396890

I think science progresses better when we disregard hypotheses that didn't end up working.
>>
>>8396967

Oh I accidentally called "well-known" a noun there, oops.
>>
>>8393298
>CS
>become a famous DJ
>>
Cybersecurity
Secure organizations' records with literally no room for breaking in
>>
>>8393298
>petrol eng.
>just get money honestly
>>
>Studying for mechatronics
>Giving synthetic muscle to a robot

Is this a bad idea or just unnecessary?
>>
>>8393298
1. Business & I.T
2. Become rich so I can fund STEMfags.
>>
File: TIME3.jpg (45KB, 313x315px) Image search: [Google]
TIME3.jpg
45KB, 313x315px
>>8393403
Nice. Me too.
>>
>>8396495
Thank you for posting in this thread.
>>
>>8393298

1. Biophysics and structural biology
2. Structure-based design of inhibitors of protein-protein interactions
>>
>>8396912
I mean the syntax of the language.
>>
>>8396967
Explicitly, regarding "loose grammatical structure," I would like my language to be such that one constructs words by pushing a set of phonemes together, and where the order of the phonemes is loose. Maybe the same way with sentences. So, I could say, "barrier move legs progress" to describe moving my legs to progress toward a barrier, but it would be just as grammatically-correct under different permutations, such as "legs move barrier progress," so that one can instead focus on using order to alter the nuanced meaning of the phrase without altering its semantic meaning. One might mean that my goal is to move to the barrier, and moving my legs is how I will attain it, whereas the other might mean that I am moving my legs to change my position, and the barrier being my destination is secondary. I don't know enough French, I was really just guessing at how French grammar might be "less restrictive" than English grammar.
>>
>>8394457
That's pretty cool. Do you set some time aside every day to think of these kind of things?
>>
>>8397861

If you have a system that allows free re-ordering at the phonemic level (inside a word boundary), that means you can mix up any sound within a word. So your example of "barrier move legs progress" could theoretically be articulated as "rrbarei vemo lgse ssrgeorpg". Why would you want this? What in the world could it possibly help you do? And of course it breaks all rules of English phonotactics, so if you want to conform with those you're just adding even more complexity.

Furthermore, let me mention your intended purpose, a system that allows the words within a phrase boundary to be re-ordered, as in your example. This is a very common process called topicalization, wherein different words are fronted to emphasize them semantically. This is common in case-marked languages because the re-ordering can be done without confusing the hearer as to the syntactic role of the constituents. But in fact it's so common that even case-less languages like English have it, for example "This shirt I don't like, but that one I do." where the NP "this shirt" is moved up even though it normally wouldn't result in a grammatical utterance, because the speaker wants to emphasize that NP rather than the VP or some other part.

You have these lofty goals, but the fact of the matter is none of them make any sense. None of your terminology is well-defined, and all the examples you give are either already very typologically common features or else they betray a lack of understanding of basic linguistic terminology.

It sounds harsher than I intend it to be, but you need to learn a lot more linguistics before you can even articulate these goals of yours, let alone achieve them.
>>
>>8398041
I spend pretty much all of my free time writing in my journal or reading papers. Whenever I have an idea, I jot it down for future reference. What I think about changes periodically; lately I have been thinking a lot about language and dynamical systems, but soon I'm sure I will be back to thinking more about topology and homotopy. I try not to force myself to work on a certain project; I trust my curiosity to lead me I guess.
>>
>>8398069
I would rather receive criticism than praise. I appreciate you discussing this at length with me.

I don't want sounds to be arbitrarily placed in words, such as in your example. But I want the individual phonemes to be allowed to be reordered; I think with a sufficient collection of atomic phonemes, a sufficiently expressive system for constructing new ones, and a sufficiently "loose" system for presenting words together, I can produce an unconventional mix of the good qualities that I already see in language.

I am not a linguist, I am a language hobbyist that wants to express philosophical and mathematical ideas using a new tool. I apologize if my terminology is incorrect, but I hope that at least some of my intentions are getting through despite this.

On that note, where should I start learning more about language? Do you have any books you would recommend? I am quite interested in the subject, but I don't have any ties to the language community and don't know what resources exist.
>>
>CS
>become next sergey brinn

Although ATM I'm really struggling with some of my classes and hanging on a 2.5 GPA lol

Its k tho every other billionaire was just a drop out amirite friends?
>>
>>8398103

they drop because they find them useless or beneath them, not because they can't do it brainlet-kun.
>>
>>8393298

>Military Engineer
>To get the hell out of the military when my contract ends and go to a good uni. From there, doing something that doesn't make my brain want to kill itself
>>
File: solid_state_kyouju.jpg (116KB, 455x332px) Image search: [Google]
solid_state_kyouju.jpg
116KB, 455x332px
>>8393298
>condensed matter
>construct/describe a mathematical framework for characterizing all possible forms of quantum Hall effect and have it named after me
>>
File: treeeeeeee.jpg (2MB, 2420x915px) Image search: [Google]
treeeeeeee.jpg
2MB, 2420x915px
>studying biology
>maybe a nobel prize in genetic engineering
(yes i'm a fucking dreamer)
>>
>>8399241
said every biologist evet
>>
>applied mathematics
>apply math
>>
>>8393412
>Implying Google or facebook won't create God long before you're remotely close to anything resembling a general intelligence
>>
>>8399161
Why does your brain want to seppuku, what's so bad about it?
>>
I don't have a field, and likely never will.

The only higher aspirations I'd mention are advancements in lossless information compression, and to make several of the games I've been designing for the last 10 years or so. There are a lot of other little things, some grandiosity as well (that comes and goes), most of which I have the drive and means to make happen, but ultimately, underneath, I don't really want to be alive. There's a split mindedness, and I've seen enough that I'd rather just focus on what I find most meaningful in a base sense. I've had enough.

If I could complete a few of the projects I have in mind, I'd be okay with getting killed off. It would've all been worthwhile. Otherwise I'm gradually becoming quite power hungry. Ought to put that generalist background to use.
>>
>Neuroscience
>Slow down alzheimers
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 300x195px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 300x195px
>>8393298
Degree on EE
Convalidating Physics
Time travel.
>>
>>8399260
>tfw no college

math tenure track
Geometric langlands
>>
>Electronics and electrical engineering
>build aesthetic EM based shit
>>
>maths
>be employed
>>
>> Philosophy
>> To awaken the consciousness
>>
>ChemE
>to stop gobbling cocks
>>
>>8399241
I want a fully labeled version of this please
>>
>Chemistry (actinides and shit)
>to die
>>
>Economics
>To make accurate computational models of social phenomena
>>
>>8399792
Sure you're not there to try to game the system and become ultra rich?
>>
>>8393421
>>8394379
>>8395397
>>8395633
>>8396545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmdp96ySlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBfT_EPBIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dFPyuJ4P0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4akYSJH_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ItSktWcx98
>>
1. Mathematics.
2. Every major unsolved problem in the sciences that is discovered until I pass away.
>>
>>8399795
Nah you're thinking of finance students
>>
>>8399792
I read a lot of interesting articles about how before Brexit, since there was no official polling data, the researchers would collect their own data and put it into different models to try to predict how different areas would go. I thought that sounded pretty interesting how they use data and run these different models and try to predict how people would vote. Is this the kind of stuff you're into?
>>
>>8399854
Well yeah, thats basically a broad description of quantitative social science you made, but what I'm specifically interested in is the use of computation and programming to generate even better models than we've been capable of making in the past.
>>
1. Evolutionary anthropology
2. Study potential adaptations of humans to the projected rapid climate change/do all the drugs.
>>
>>8399868
what are the bio requirements for this field, out of interest ?
>>
>>8399863
>quantitative social science
Is that what this is called? I didnt know what keywords to use to search for what techniques they are using to do this. Just searched using these keywords and came up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_statistics
I'm interested in learning more about this techniques as a additional toolset for analysis in investing(trading my own personal account, not as employment). What textbooks would you recommend?
>>
>>8399754
NP Hard
>>
>>8399792
The first thing you need to learn is: infinite substitution of resources only exists in the infinite creative anus of the mind. Next: the environment supersedes the economic system; it's not a subset as they taught you. Third: economic laws are not laws, they're just ideas
>>
File: 1475854219560.gif (943KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
1475854219560.gif
943KB, 300x189px
>>8393298
>Neuroscience
>Unlocking the other 90% of our brain
>>
>>8400185
If you're really interested in neuroscience you should know that's a meme.
>>
>Astronomy
>Discover and learn more about the universe
>>
>>8400363
pretty sure that was the joke you git
>>
>>8393421
Damn you make me smile for humanity.
>>
> Truck driver
> Be able to do drugs and argue on /sci again, like in the old days.
>>
>Automotive Engineering
>To keep the ICE alive
>>
>>8400460
You'll be outsourced to India where Dinesh will control your 18 wheel package remotely
>>
>>8400466
Pfft. At best 35% efficiency. FIRE will obsolete ICE
>>
>>8400474
Eh, I know, it's very ambitious. There might be more potential in the ICE that just hasn't been discovered yet.
>>
>>8400485
>>8400485

You admirable dreamer
>>
> Engineering Mathematics.
> Combine with theoretical computer science and further studies in mathematical logic to work on automated theorem proving and proof verification.
>>
>>8399244
this guy's got it figured out
>>
>>8399516
;^)
>>
>>8393496
BF2142 is best Battlefield
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.