[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphene

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2953.jpg (799KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2953.jpg
799KB, 1280x1024px
What the FUCK happened to this shit? I remember a few years back when they said it would change the world. What's it doing now?
>>
>>8392768

Changing the world.
>>
>>8392768
it's literally a meme
>>
>>8392768
Still being extremely hard to produce on a scale for anything but lab experiments.
>>
>>8392768
That sounds like string theory.
>>
>>8392802
Pretty much this. It does have many great properties and we have gotten decently good at producing it in small amounts, but no one has found a production method that scales up to what is required for actual implementation of graphene-based technologies, kinda like how carbon nanotubes aren't really used in any industrial applications despite their incredibly useful properties.
>>
File: df940ae7f36b03a1.jpg (759KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
df940ae7f36b03a1.jpg
759KB, 1024x768px
>>8392802
>>8392837
Where are the problems in production?
Scale? Precision? Speed? All three?
>>
>>8393049
Finding a large enough piece of packing tape?
>>
>>8393049
All three are basically the same.

There aren't any ways for mass production, speed and scale are the problem with current methods, better precision would maybe enable better methods. Europe invested a billion a few years ago. Nothing good yet tho
>>
>>8393049
Cutting atom thick layers of graphite is pretty hard and tedious a task, you also need saw with kerf narrow enough that doesn't dull to fast, and they're expensive
>>
>>8393072
>Cutting atom thick layers of graphite is pretty hard and tedious a task, you also need saw with kerf narrow enough that doesn't dull to fast, and they're expensive
Can't you just synthesize it?
>>
>>8393153
No, I can't, sorry
>>
Can't we use a machine made of graphene, shouldn't that solve the issues?
>>
>>8392768
It's not cost effective to produce yet, aside from labs developing new methods to produce it in labs there isn't any applicable use yet.
>>
>>8392768
everyone remembered that manufacturing technology is still 50 years behind the times.
>>
>>8392802
you also lose a massive amount of strength if you have just one atom out of place
>>
Material science works like this:
>World-changing properties
>Able to be mass produced
>Able to be manufactured cheaply
>Pick two

There are very rare exceptions.
>>
A quote from one of the researches of graphene: "It can do anything except leave the laboratory."
>>
>>8392768
Graphene can theoretically be mass produced but the methods to do so requires some pain in the ass solvents that are hard to wash completely to accomplish this
>>
What would win, a sun made of graphene or a sun made of electricity?
>>
>>8392768
It will be 30+ years before it does anything useful at scale OP. replacing silicon for instance.
>>
>>8394176
Some Chinese people have been able to apparently make large quantities but still "china" claims a lot of things.

>>8394128
Also this, You can have all 3 but it won't be done fast. Graphene has a lot of potential but not any useful potential outside a lab. The media just will take "Well X is useful and we should see consumer use in 10-15 years" and makes it "NEW ENERGY FOUND BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE IT AND HERE IS WHY!"
>>
>>8393164
Try copy paste
>>
>>8393980
>there isn't any applicable use yet

Graphene Supercapacitors
Transistors using graphene pathways

These are being made now and are amazing. Bandgap is still a problem I think. If anyone figures that part out then all hell will break loose in the electronics world.
>>
>>8394661
>Bandgap
In laymens terms can you explain WHAT band gap is, I know it's caused by electrons jumping between the gates because physics stuff when they're not supposed to but can't we just "account" for this random jumping? Would it really be that hard to predict on a mass scale how often the jumping will occur and fix the data?
>>
>>8393072
can't we deactivate the atoms so the saw nerf doesn't go blunt so fast?
>>
>>8394761
That would also deactivate saw's atoms too
>>
>>8394687
bandgap is how much energy it takes for an electron basically jump up off the atom and be available for conduction. You're thinking of quantum tunneling.

If i remember correctly, a larger bandgap ends up increasing power leakage, but it's been so long since I've done semiconductor physics I cant remember.
>>
>>8394128
p much this. Example, magnetocaloric materials. it was over 15 years ago that the first media buzz happened and we're still at lab stages.
>>
>>8392777
this

its a regular part of materials science now. graphene oxide is a popular material.
>>
File: musk.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
musk.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
>>8392768
You need a strong forcing agent to get work done on this problem. SpaceX needs this tech to make their ITS a reality. In particular the cryogenic fuel tank requires several developments in the field of producing carbon nanotubes to scale.

This man will accelerate the curve.
>>
I made graphene accidentally when I was 5 by drawing all over scotch tape I found
>>
>>8392802
There is massive investment right now by multiple private companies as well as state backed universities etc, into developing upscaled production techniques.

This is a natural stage in any emerging technology, and they have already made a number of remarkable achievements. Surface area is going up, product quality is going up, and costs are going down.

Give it time.
>>
>>8394687
Electrons are restricted to states of discreet energy levels in an atom. When you start sticking atoms together, these energy levels begin to overlap and "blur" so that you get a band of allowable energy that a given electron may have.

Now in a metal, you have a continuous band that stretches from valence energies (stuck on or near their parent atom) to conduction energy (able to freely move around in the bulk material).

In the natural resting state at 0 K, all the electrons will be in valence energy, but add just a little heat or other energy, and you easily excite electrons into the conduction energy range. So at room temperature, there are lots of electrons available to conduct, hence why metals are metallic and conduct electricity.

An insulator has a split in the allowable bands (its quantum mechanics stuff) so that a very large amount of energy is required to excite electrons into the conduction band. So insulators insulate, but if you apply enough voltage, anything will eventually conduct (it may be destroyed in the process by the heat).

Semi-conductors have a very narrow gap in their bands... the band gap... so that a small amount of energy which is easily controlled can cause conduction. So they are like switches, no voltage = insulator, small voltage = conductor. On, Off. That is how we make zeros and ones.
>>
>>8394152
Source? Pretty sure that's just a meme anon.
>>
>>8395012
letmegooglethatforyou.com
>>
>>8394687
Graphene can be turned "on" but can't be turned "off". Once we figure out how to turn it "off" again we will be able to make absurdly power computers in micro sizes due to the fact the transistors themselves will be make of graphene.

I'm really not sure we will be able to get graphene into such an "off" state, but I hope we can.
>>
>>8394687
https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/graphene-band-gap-heralds-new-electronics/9000.article
>>
File: f_u_t_u_r_e.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
f_u_t_u_r_e.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>8394225
Graphene made of suns...
>>
>>8393153
>tfw first year mathematics/finance student

I am retarded, is this bait, or can you actually "deactivate" atoms? Does it just involve altering its state/energy level?
>>
>>8394924
Elon Musk is a fraud , and SpaceX is a meme. Do you really think someone who can't even get a rocket into space can actually contribute something important to advanced chemistry? I know I don't.
>>
>>8395466
Yes, in fact most atoms are deactivated at standard conditions. Almonds are especially notorious for this.
>>
do you think starlite will be rediscovered
>>
>>8395728
honestly it was shit anyway
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.