[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shamir's Secret Sharing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: shamir-1..png (76KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
shamir-1..png
76KB, 1600x1200px
Hi everyone, it's interactive proof (>>8388303) guy here. I'll put "Kesari" in the name field in these threads for convenience.

Today I'll be talking about a (hopefully more accessible) topic called secret sharing. I will assume very basic knowledge of polynomials and algebra.

The idea is this. You are the president of your country, and you have the launch code for the nuclear missiles. But it's possible you might some day get assassinated, and no one else will know the codes.

You have a group of 20 advisors, and you want to give each advisor some information such that if any 15 of them agree that we should launch a missile, then they can obtain the launch code (15 in case a few go rogue). But if only 14 of them agree, then there should be no way for them to obtain the launch code, even by brute force (it should be as hard as if only 1 of them was trying to find the launch code). Thus the launch code is a shared secret.

Computers can be hacked so you want a mathematical way to do this.

Preliminaries. Attached is a picture of a line. I'd like to write down many lines, but drawing graphs for each one will take forever. Specifically, I want to represent each line by a few points that lie on that line.

If I give you one point, say (0, -1) that lies on the line, this doesn't help you know which line I'm talking about, because there are many lines that could pass through the point. But if I give you two points on the line, then you know exactly which line I'm talking about.

That's because you can just draw a straight line with a ruler between those two points and then extend it from there.

Refresher challenge: I'm thinking of a line that passes through (0, 1) and (2, 0). What is the line? You can either give it in slope-intercept form, 2-point form, or a graph.

Next up: polynomials.
>>
>>8392098
Anyone?
>Refresher challenge: I'm thinking of a line that passes through (0, 1) and (2, 0). What is the line? You can either give it in slope-intercept form, 2-point form, or a graph.

If you're not sure you can post that too. Just want to make sure I'm not speaking to no one.
>>
>>8392161
I'm here.
y=1-x/2
>>
>>8392098
Please continue OP. Have a bump.
>>
>>8392098
Have a plane defined in 15 dimensional space. Give each of the 20 advisors a point on this plane. The equation that defines the plane can be the launch code (e.g. the product of all the coefficients or something).
>>
>>8392628
Don't you need n+1 points to uniquely define an n-dimensional surface? With just 15 points the 15 advisors will not be able to find the plane. Surely you'd need a 14 dimensional plane instead which can be uniquely defined by 15 points?
>>
File: 1472583871089.jpg (12KB, 467x460px) Image search: [Google]
1472583871089.jpg
12KB, 467x460px
>>8392628
Much better. None of this babby shit OP.
>>
>>8392716
it's literally the same thing, polynomials are linear in their coefficients, brainlet
>>
>>8393547
>Refresher challenge: I'm thinking of a line that passes through (0, 1) and (2, 0). What is the line? You can either give it in slope-intercept form, 2-point form, or a graph.
>>
>>8392628
You need to be careful about which 15 people are present, though. It's not enough that they each have a point on the plane.
>>
>>8393639
Are you implying the question hasn't been answered?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.