[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer science is not a science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: chillingscene.jpg (69KB, 355x454px) Image search: [Google]
chillingscene.jpg
69KB, 355x454px
Computer science is not a science
>>
Computer science is more of a science than social science, at any rate.
>>
>>8390645
I mean like computer science is more like math or logic but not science just wanted to make my point clear if i didn't
>>
>>8390636
How many days have you spent at the lab doing research?
As a bioinformatician I can assure you computer science is science. We have experiments, predictions, the whole deal.
>>
Amen
>>
File: 1474607151118.gif (609KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
1474607151118.gif
609KB, 250x228px
It literally has the word science in its name.
>>
>>8391336
ever heard of misnomers anon?
>>
>>8390663
That's bioinformatics using computers, not computer science.
>>
>>8391336
That is exactly the problem. A true science does not need to tell you it is a science. And CS is not a traditional science anyways. CS is research is fundamentally different from chemistry research, for example.

In Chemistry you tend to observe things that already exist to conjecture a model and then try to prove that your model is useful to predict the real world.

In Computer Science nothing exists before you make it exist. Sure, you can observe algorithms but you tend to know what an algorithm does before you have it coded up. You don't need to observe an algorithm because by the time you can observe it, you already know everything there is to know about it.

Similarly, if you have a big dick you do not have to tattoo "big dick" on your forehead, your actions will show you have a big dick. For example, people will usually know of your big dick the moment you tell them you study pure mathematics.
>>
>>8390636
Agreed. It's much closer to logic with dome practical stuff so you can hopefully be paid to do something after uni
>t. cs undergrad
>>
>>8391336
TIL political science is a science
>>
File: NxD2bhM.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
NxD2bhM.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>8390636
Even computer science people admit this, you call this a bait thread?
>>
>what is a formal science
I'm getting really tired of these threads even though I know everyone is baiting
>>
>>8391798
this
>>
>>8390636
Bob Ross is not a computer
>>
>>8391348
It sounds like you don't have a strong grasp on what the field of bioinformatics is. Or computer science, for that matter.

Many computer scientists design experiments, make predictions, and test their results.

And many just do proofs, sure.

But if you don't know much about the landscape of CS research (you don't) perhaps you should keep your opinions to yourself.
>>
>>8391350
>by the time you can observe it, you already know everything there is to know about it.

You're very wrong. We do not know how algorithms will perform on real computers because they are designed for abstract computers that don't take into account many of the complexities of a real machine.

The *only* difference between computer science and traditional science is that we are modeling computers and not natural phenomena. Personally, I don't think that is such a stretch.

But we always need better models of computation.

That being said, I wouldn't mind renaming the field to "computation", making me a "computationalist"
>>
File: trap.jpg (145KB, 851x768px) Image search: [Google]
trap.jpg
145KB, 851x768px
>>8390645
Its more of an antisocial science with added body odour.
>>
>>8392591
Please tell me this is shopped. I doubt it tho, just by looking at their dirty faces
>>
>>8391336
The holy roman empire was not an empire or Roman despite having roman and empire in its name.
>>
>>8391336
get your ass outta /sci/

there needs to be a math problem or some shit as the captcha to keep out people like you
>>
File: 1473621856240.jpg (46KB, 524x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1473621856240.jpg
46KB, 524x1009px
>>8392591
goddamit
>>
>>8392395
Computer Science is more a type of engineering, wouldn't you say?
>>
>>8392712
That would be computer engineering
>>
Foundationally inductive? Then it's a science, at least loosely.

Foundationally deductive? Then it's not a science, at least loosely.

Theory always has deductive elements, but induction drives what we categorize as "true" or "false" in the sciences.

This is not the case for mathematics, the greater part of compsci that is abstracted from physical circuits etc., or a number of social "sciences."
>>
>>8392688
this is actually a pretty good idea
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.