[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

number theory lectures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: legendre_essai_sur_la_theorie_1.png (1MB, 800x1079px) Image search: [Google]
legendre_essai_sur_la_theorie_1.png
1MB, 800x1079px
Anyone know any video lectures for Elementary (or Introduction to) Number Theory?

All I can find is https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-781-theory-of-numbers-spring-2012/ but that doesn't have video lectures.

I found this http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/introduction-to-number-theory.html but the pirated torrent is downloading really slow, around 30 kilobytes per second.

I checked YouTube and the closest thing I could really find to a decent lecture was the Mathematics for Computer Science MIT OCW series of Fall 2010. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LMbpZIKhQ&list=PLB7540DEDD482705B

Do you /sci/entists think that's sufficient enough?
>>
>>8390277
A lot of elementary number theory is covered in any algebra class that covers rings.

If you can't find suitable lectures, I suggest you start trying to learn from reading books. Many topics won't have any good lectures.
>>
>>8390297
Got any recommendations for a book?

Though to be honest the reason I would prefer a lecture over textbooks is that I'm not used to the mathematical notation used in higher mathematics.
>>
rebump
>>
>>8390319
>I'm not used to the mathematical notation used in higher mathematics.

What do lecturers perform just orally and leave no exercise that require reading?

This looks like you have a problem different from the one you are trying to solve. Learn some notation nigga.
>>
>>8392129
Where do i learn it tho senpai
>>
File: chaika-eating.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
chaika-eating.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>8392138
Reading mathematical texts is probably the single most reasonable way to do that. Take an introductory book on abstract algebra. It should begin with some set theory, and those are amongst the most important symbols you will ever know. Later, when stuff like generators are introduced, the author will define notation for stuff like the ideal generated by a set. By doing this, you'll get familiar with some notation, group theory, ring theory, and eventually number theory.
>>
File: cover.jpg (143KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
143KB, 500x489px
>>8392157
>introductory book on abstract algebra
Thanks, will look on Amazon. Do you know any good ones?
>>
>>8392359
Pinter "A book of Abstract Algebra"
>>
>>8390277
Here's André Weil's famous book on number theory. All free.
The prerequisites are very clearly stated, so that if you lack something, you know on which notions to catch up.

http://tomlr.free.fr/Math%E9matiques/Weil%20-%20Basic%20number%20theory%20(Springer)(338s).pdf
>>
>>8392382
Thanks.
>>8392633
Thanks for the book, but I'm fresh out of high school so most of the terms discussed in the Prerequisites and Notations sections is complete Greek to me.

I did a bit of research online and found Number Theory (Dover) by Andrews to be easier to read. If that name rings the slightest of bells, what do you think of it?
>>
>>8392857

WellI out of curiosity I had a look on archive.org, and this book looks like a proper textbook, written with clear pedagogical aims, with exercices and all. If you're out of highschool, that might be the "easiest" access to practical, basic works with numbers. It looks like a really clear book. Good layout.

However, if you are planning to study maths in the coming years, I'd like to suggest you read more topic-oriented stuff. For two reasons (and a half).

1) There will be redundancy between this textbook and your courses. This textbook might even lead you to unclear understandings, because even the prerequisites are not very hight, they still exist in this textbook.

2) Working on a text that has no clear "pedagogical" purpose is very fruitful activity. You're not being taken for a retard, the sentences have a real purpose, the theorems and lemmas actually serve the purpose of the book, which make them really exciting.

3) (personal point of view) The activity of exploring new territories of knowledge, untaught notions is exciting.
>>
>>8393650
Thanks, I'll try using both then. I really like your reasons btw, spoken like a true mathematician.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.