[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Topology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Hey /sci/, what are in your opinion the best books/publications for learning the basics of Topology?
>>
Adamson, I. A General Topology Workbook. Boston, MA: Birkhäuser, 1996.
Alexandrov, P. S. Elementary Concepts of Topology. New York: Dover, 1961.
Armstrong, M. A. Basic Topology, rev. ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1997.
Arnold, B. H. Intuitive Concepts in Elementary Topology. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1962.
Barr, S. Experiments in Topology. New York: Dover, 1964.
Berge, C. Topological Spaces Including a Treatment of Multi-Valued Functions, Vector Spaces and Convexity. New York: Dover, 1997.
Bishop, R. and Goldberg, S. Tensor Analysis on Manifolds. New York: Dover, 1980.
Blackett, D. W. Elementary Topology: A Combinatorial and Algebraic Approach. New York: Academic Press, 1967.
Bloch, E. A First Course in Geometric Topology and Differential Geometry. Boston, MA: Birkhäuser, 1996.
Brown, J. I. and Watson, S. "The Number of Complements of a Topology on n Points is at Least 2^n (Except for Some Special Cases)." Discr. Math. 154, 27-39, 1996.
Chinn, W. G. and Steenrod, N. E. First Concepts of Topology: The Geometry of Mappings of Segments, Curves, Circles, and Disks. Washington, DC: Math. Assoc. Amer., 1966.
Collins, G. P. "The Shapes of Space." Sci. Amer. 291, 94-103, July 2004.
Comtet, L. Advanced Combinatorics: The Art of Finite and Infinite Expansions, rev. enl. ed. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Reidel, p. 229, 1974.
Dugundji, J. Topology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1965.
Eppstein, D. "Geometric Topology." http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard/topo.html.
Erné, M. and Stege, K. "Counting Finite Posets and Topologies." Order 8, 247-265, 1991.
>>
>>8385763
Evans, J. W.; Harary, F.; and Lynn, M. S. "On the Computer Enumeration of Finite Topologies." Commun. ACM 10, 295-297 and 313, 1967.
Francis, G. K. A Topological Picturebook. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1987.
Gardner, M. Martin Gardner's Sixth Book of Mathematical Games from Scientific American. New York: Scribner's, 1971.
Gemignani, M. C. Elementary Topology. New York: Dover, 1990.
Gray, A. Modern Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces with Mathematica, 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1997.
Greever, J. Theory and Examples of Point-Set Topology. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, 1967.
Heitzig, J. and Reinhold, J. "The Number of Unlabeled Orders on Fourteen Elements." Preprint No. 299. Hanover, Germany: Universität Hannover Institut für Mathematik, 1999.
Hirsch, M. W. Differential Topology. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988.
Hocking, J. G. and Young, G. S. Topology. New York: Dover, 1988.
Kahn, D. W. Topology: An Introduction to the Point-Set and Algebraic Areas. New York: Dover, 1995.
Kelley, J. L. General Topology. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1975.
Kinsey, L. C. Topology of Surfaces. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1993.
Kleitman, D. and Rothschild, B. L. "The Number of Finite Topologies." Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 25, 276-282, 1970.
>>
>>8385766
Lietzmann, W. Visual Topology. London: Chatto and Windus, 1965.
Lipschutz, S. Theory and Problems of General Topology. New York: Schaum, 1965.
Mendelson, B. Introduction to Topology. New York: Dover, 1990.
Munkres, J. R. Elementary Differential Topology. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1963.
Munkres, J. R. Topology: A First Course, 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2000.
Oliver, D. "GANG Library." http://www.gang.umass.edu/library/library_home.html.
Praslov, V. V. and Sossinsky, A. B. Knots, Links, Braids and 3-Manifolds: An Introduction to the New Invariants in Low-Dimensional Topology. Providence, RI: Amer. Math. Soc., 1996.
Rayburn, M. "On the Borel Fields of a Finite Set." Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 19, 885-889, 1968.
Renteln, P. and Dundes, A. "Foolproof: A Sampling of Mathematical Folk Humor." Notices Amer. Math. Soc. 52, 24-34, 2005.
Seifert, H. and Threlfall, W. A Textbook of Topology. New York: Academic Press, 1980.
Shafaat, A. "On the Number of Topologies Definable for a Finite Set." J. Austral. Math. Soc. 8, 194-198, 1968.
Shakhmatv, D. and Watson, S. "Topology Atlas." http://at.yorku.ca/topology/.
Steen, L. A. and Seebach, J. A. Jr. Counterexamples in Topology. New York: Dover, 1996.
Thurston, W. P. Three-Dimensional Geometry and Topology, Vol. 1. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1997.
Tucker, A. W. and Bailey, H. S. Jr. "Topology." Sci. Amer. 182, 18-24, Jan. 1950.
van Mill, J. and Reed, G. M. (Eds.). Open Problems in Topology. New York: Elsevier, 1990.
Veblen, O. Analysis Situs, 2nd ed. New York: Amer. Math. Soc., 1946.
Weisstein, E. W. "Books about Topology." http://www.ericweisstein.com/encyclopedias/books/Topology.html.
>>
>>8385763
>>8385766
>>8385769

OP asked for "the best" and you really can't refine from this random fuck off big list of yours?
>>
>>8385773
Kys yourself brainlet
>>
Staples are Munkres for your introduction, Hatcher for algebraic topology.
>>
File: Capture.png (351KB, 394x600px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
351KB, 394x600px
>>
>>8385778
Many of the texts you listed are utter shit so you've obviously never read them. Your posts are pointless.
>>
I only know Nakaharas Geometry, Topology and Physics, but I'm also not very smart.
>>
>>8385763
>>8385766
>>8385769

you didn't read all of these. why would you copy and paste some list?
>>
Munkres
>>
Munkres, Topilogy. Amazing textbook.
>>
File: 1456654562.jpg (64KB, 850x628px) Image search: [Google]
1456654562.jpg
64KB, 850x628px
I started with Bert Mendelson's Introduction to Topology, continued with a local book most of you'd make no sense of, and then read Dugundji's Topology. These three work quite well for undergrads, I think. I've also heard lots of good things about Munkres.

For algebraic topology, I'd recommend Rotman's book. Hatcher's book is free, but it somehow lacks the structure I'd expect to have in a textbook.
>>
>Elementary Topology Problem Textbook
has problems and solutions
used it to learn topology during my freshman year, really helped me later when i actually took topology
here's a link
http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/eng-book-nopfs.pdf

munkres is also really good
>>
Munkres is THE point-set topology textbook. The question is, of course, whether you accually want to learn point-set topology. If you're interested in mobius bands and distorting donuts, you're looking at algebraic or differential topology, both of which actually need just basics of general topology. If this is the case, I suggest Lee's Introduction to Topological Manifolds, at least the first few chapters.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.