[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is /sci/ primarily filled with undergrads? how many of you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

is /sci/ primarily filled with undergrads? how many of you guys are actual scientists/mathematicians who do this for a living? what is it like?

i'm curious because i want to pursue science because i'm interested in a lot of elements behind understanding the world such as the fundamental forces of nature and how they intermingle, and how we exploit its behaviours to produce things like combustion engines and electronics.

i guess my question is split between knowing what it's like to be a scientist and what that entails. do you work more on theory than application? is there a role that exists where you can do both? because i can't see myself wanting to be only hands on or only theoretical. i would like to improve models that i use in real world applications in a self sustaining fashion.

is this unrealistic? to give an example i'd say improving BCS theory so it includes high temp superconductors would be important, but i'd also then utilize that to predict and fabricate materials that exhibit those properties for junctions in ICs and so forth.
>>
>>8383184
>is /sci/ primarily filled with undergrads?
yes
Its mostly popsci, baby questions, shitposts and homework here. Keep looking bud.
>>
Well I have a master's in math and work as a data analyst.

I only come here after I jerk off, though, I browse /sci/ for awhile because it's completely un arousing until my boner goes away.
>>
you REALLY need to go and talk to your professors, all of them, any that you can, ask for general advice and tell them your situation.

i don't want to say anything in any direction, because it will bias you. any responses you get - take them with a grain of salt as one possible truth rather than authoritative truth.

i don't do what you do, so i can't speak to specific fields, but you really, really, really need to get an insider's look at what academia is, at what research is, at the possibility of combining theory with practice, at what it means to be a theoretician and whether it resembles what you want it to be. you need to keep poking around among your professors until you get some helpful people who can give you real, nuanced, personal answers, and take a personal interest in you.

especially things like "i want to do both hands-on and theoretical" - depending on your field, you might find you can do both; or you really can only do one; or even doing one or the other is unglamorous and you will be a tiny cog among cogs; or the theory branch of what you want to do is scattered across three other disciplines, mostly resulting in their incidental combinations, or buried deep in a very boring (or very exciting!) discipline you didn't know about

i'm in academia, again in something too unrelated to be able to answer you with anything more than this rambling shitpost. but you really need to see it for yourself. don't be like so many graduate students who burn out or hate their lives because they didn't know what they were getting into and just hoped for the best.
>>
I'm a real, live math professor but yes most of /sci is undergrads
>>
>>8383184
Not just undergrads, but most of them are also freshmen. Think about all the Calc threads.
Honestly, juniors and seniors are fine because they know their stuff.
>>
Since I started grad school, my time spent on /sci/ has dropped about 90%. This place is fucking terrible though so that may have caused the decline as well.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on sci with advanced degrees and years of experience. They are dwarfed by the freshmen though.
>>
Yes most of /sci/ is undergrads

You can tell because the actual math and science content on this board tends to be at the general public to freshmen college level. Just take a look at all the threads.

There are more serious places if you look for them. Physicsforums is a solid place for someone at your level. Despite the name, there are active subforums for different branches and many actual scientists and mathematicians, not just autists spewing quantum woo, basic misconceptions, and calculus 1.
>>
>>8383184
I got my BSc in Biology years ago but have yet to get a career in science.
>>
>>8384568
what career are you in? what does the degree give you in other areas?
>>
>>8383184
Not only am I an Undergrad only just entering my second year of Uni, I'm a CS undergrad
>>
>>8383184
yes

t. undergrad
>>
File: 1HfpM[1].jpg (38KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
1HfpM[1].jpg
38KB, 500x268px
>>8383184
>do you work more on theory than application? is there a role that exists where you can do both
see attached

> scientists/mathematicians who do this for a living? what is it like?
at any level higher than postdoc you manage people, give lectures and apply for funding
>>
Unfortunately, 4chan is the only laid-back forum I have found in which some people listen to what I write. There are some gems on here, but it is sadly and primarily composed of ignorant or immature humans.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.