[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dehydration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Dehydration.jpg (1007KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dehydration.jpg
1007KB, 1920x1080px
say we have a dehydrated man (no water for 1-2 days) in one of the following scenarios

A) on a glacier with snowstorm happening, ie it's very cold. Only source of "water" is eating snow

B) in the desert, the man is exposed to the sun and very hot. only source of water is boiling water

C) on the ocean. only source of water is saltwater

D) trapped in a dungeon. only source of water is his own urine

would the man in any of these scenarios benefit from consuming the water that is available to him? if not, why not?
are there exceptions?
>>
>>8382371
eating snow doesn't seem too bad
given a boiling water can cool down till it becomes consumable is fine too
saltwater and urine will kill the man, though
>>
>>8382376
>given a boiling water can cool down till it becomes consumable is fine too
well the idea is that the water is hot (far above human body temperature) at the point of consumption.

since the main point of needing water in a hot environment is regulating body temp down via evaporation (=sweating), I was wondering if that works with hot water, or if the water would just heat you up more
>>
>>8382371
>only source of water is boiling water
>implying the temperature of the desert exceeds 140F
>>
>>8382389
>what is tea
>what is coffee
>>
>>8382391
>implying the temperature of the desert exceeds 140F
>using retard units
also I was implying no such thing. the scenario could be as follows:
>man has been captured by sandniggers
>sandniggers only allow man to drink very hot tea
question then is: will this further dehydrate the man?
>>
>>8382371
>A) on a glacier with snowstorm happening, ie it's very cold. Only source of "water" is eating snow
That's absolutely viable. Eating snow is just fine. Also the cold environment extends the time people can do without water, i.e. it is known from Antarctic expeditions (Shackleton) that people could actually survive much longer than assumed possible without water in the cold climate.

>B) in the desert, the man is exposed to the sun and very hot. only source of water is boiling water
I don't understand that one. What is the source of the boiling water?

>C) on the ocean. only source of water is saltwater
As even children know, drinking saltwater will make matters worse.

>D) trapped in a dungeon. only source of water is his own urine
That is also not advisable. The body used the urine to get rid of salts and other stuff. Trickling that through your body once again will certainly not help.
>>
>>8382402
>bitching about units of measurement
every unit is essentially arbitrary, ffs
is it really so hard to convert F into C, you fucking retard
go kys you're self

t. eurofag
>inb4 bitching about bitching
>>
File: pineapple_slices.jpg (41KB, 749x512px) Image search: [Google]
pineapple_slices.jpg
41KB, 749x512px
>>8382395
I know what these are. Now give me a source that drinking steaming hot coffee in the desert is a good idea to hydrate.

see also >>8382402
>>
>>8382408
>every unit is essentially arbitrary
>implying that's an argument for using obsolete special snowflake retard units

>By the end of the 20th century, Fahrenheit was used as the official temperature scale only in the United States, its freely associated states in the Western Pacific (Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands), the Bahamas, Belize, and the Cayman Islands. All other countries in the world now use the Celsius scale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

all units are arbitrary. but some units are more retard than other units
>>
>>8382411
>Thus, drinking something hot (and not just water) can in fact cool you down if the right conditions are met. Those conditions are:

>It needs to be relatively hot outside.
>The environment or air needs to be dry and not humid.
>Your sweat must be able to evaporate off your skin normally without being restricted by clothing or other materials.
https://www.quora.com/Will-drinking-hot-water-on-summer-days-make-our-body-heat
>>
File: 1444831074977.jpg (80KB, 780x737px) Image search: [Google]
1444831074977.jpg
80KB, 780x737px
>>8382402
>>
>>8382371
Eating snow directly is ill-advised and a common "no-no" in survival strategy. The best you can do is improvise some kind of container and try to use the heat exhaled from your breath to melt the snow and slowly consume it. Eating snow can damage your mouth as well as sap valuable core heat.

Of course in the desert, if you have water and a way to boil it, you should.

On the ocean with only salt-water, your best chance is to try and jerry-rig a simple, evaporative distillation apparatus, but that assumes you have all the proper materials at your disposal like plastic containers/sheeting.

Urine can be consumed in extreme cases but it really will only buy you time. And after 1 to 2 days of dehydration, you likely will not be urinating.
>>
>>8382467
funny, because Israel is America's little fuck buddy in the Middle East
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.