[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I need some advice from a M.D or med school student or something along those lines.

I live in Canada and have a long time history 10+ years of having a pretty serious case of general anxiety as well as chronic depression. I have been on a multitude of anti depressants and anti psychotic medications, most of which have failed and then they try something else.

I have a history of drug abuse (cocaine, alcohol, nicotine, cannabis) but have never been charged with a crime nor have I ever been checked into a mental hospital.

I can't sleep, feel absolutely drained all the time, I feel like an old man but I'm only 24. Every day I think about killing myself but due to my irrational fear of a monotheistic God and a uncertainty of the effectiveness of suicide methods , I don't carry out my thoughts, nor have I ever tried.

My doctor(s) don't seem to think it's a big deal unless I actually try to carry it out. I can't focus, I'm missing tons of time at work, I don't talk to my friends or family.

Anyways long story short I want a quick release benzodiazipine to deal with my acute situational anxiety and I need an amphetamine to help focus at work. I work a mindless trade job where it's not stimulating enough and then all I do is loathe in dread all day. I strongly believe these two medications can help, but the doctors are hesitant to prescribe them due to their high abuse potential, how can I convince these doctors that I need them?

Inb4:
Nicely constructed paragraphs fuckhead
Junkie
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>8380595
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>8380595
>Benzo to slow you down
>Amphetamine to kick you up

Docbro here, careful with this combo. You can easily get caught in a cycle of taking uppers and downers.

In all honesty, I seriously doubt that you will find a doctor willing to prescribe this combination of drugs. On the face of it, it looks like you either want to sell them or get fucked up on them. Whilst I accept your intentions fully, there is a major risk that you will unintentionally get hooked on both of these agents. Your history of drug abuse is not on your side.

What medications have you tried so far?
>>
>>8380641

MAOI's , SSRI's. And SNRIs.

I can give you specific names of medications, off the top, Prozac, Zoloft, cipralex, celexa.

What should I ask for man I don't know what to do, and I can't keep doing this guessing game of trying a drug for 2 months and then trying another one.

What do I need more? An upper or downer? I was also brefily prescribed a low dosage of a benzo but they never worked.
>>
>>8380668
Who is treating you? A psychiatrist or a general practitioner?

Ultimately, I haven't seen you or assessed your physical or mental health, so I can only give the broadest of suggestions. I am not a psychiatrist, I am a general physician and cardiologist.

It sounds to me like you may be switching medications too frequently and too early. My medication of choice for patients with depression is sertraline (Zoloft). I warn my patients that they should not expect to notice any effects on their mood for 4 weeks. People around them may start to see a slight improvement at 2 weeks. If their depression is not adequately controlled, I increase the dose. I do not feel that 2 months is an adequate period to initiate an antidepressant, uptitrate the dose and then decide that it was a therapeutic failure.

If you have suffered genuine therapeutic failures with these medications, there are alternatives. Quetiapine is less commonly used but may have a role for you, sodium valproate can be considered as well if other agents are not working.
>>
>>8380705

A general practitioner, I'm waiting for a referral for a psychiatrist. Been waiting for one month now they say it can take up to two. So I'm not on any medications right now, and I have no more appointments with my social worker because of the pending referral. I'd say I'm in pretty good physical condition. I eat really well , girlfriend is a holistic nutritionist so all my food is pretty top tier. I get about 3-4 hours of sleep if that, and any exercise I get is from work. I see a chiropractor once a week, and an RMT once a month. Most medications I've been prescribed I'd be on for 2 months or so, then I'd say they don't work then they tell me to "taper" off them. I don't generally do that because if they aren't working what's the risk of stopping taking them (seriously I don't know). How do I explain to the doctors they aren't working? They don't seem to give it a whole lot of thought. I go from doctor to resident to resident all suggesting different treatments. I see my "main" doctor once a year because it's impossible to book frequent appointments with him.
>>
>>8380729
Some antidepressants need to be tapered off as suddenly stopping them can risk a serious neurological illness

It's up to you. I would suggest seeing your GP and going back onto Zoloft 50mg once daily. Speak to your girlfriend after 2 weeks. If she does not notice an improvement in your mood, then increase to 75mg. If you have not noticed an improvement after 3-4 weeks, increase the dose further to 100mg. Then you will be on a reasonable dose of an antidepressant in time for your psychiatry appointment. Review things monthly and modulate your doses as needed.

>How do I explain to my doctor that they aren't working?
It is simple, you tell them that your symptoms have not improved. If you have a cluster of symptoms attributed to a particular diagnosis, treatment will be aimed to alleviate those symptoms. Ongoing reports of poor sleep, lack of energy and enthusiasm and poor concentration should all be sufficient to confirm to a doctor that you are not improving despite treatment.
>>
>>8380763

Okay, thank you anon. Take care, thanks for talking with me.
>>
>>8380668
You may benefit from some genetic testing, as cytochrome polymorphisms alter drug metabolism and thus therapeutic efficacy. You can use this to predict which drugs should benefit you the most.
A large number of treatment-resistant depression cases are associated with MTHFR defects, which have rate-limiting implications in monoamine synthesis http://cdn.neiglobal.com/content/blog/380-l-methylfolate.pdf
>>
>>8380787
No worries, bro. Hope this helps!
>>
>>8380595

>Seasonal affective disorder?

Are you a healthy person, and by healthy I don't mean skinny or lean.

Skinny ≠ Healthy

Antidepressants are genuinely shitty medicine to take as they change the chemical makeup of your brain. Ever tried anything other than western medicine?
>>
>>8381054
>they change the chemical makeup of your brain
Literally anything that has any effect does this

>>8380641
>Docbro
I don't suppose you specialize in urology, but what's your take on chastity cages? I have this chinese cb6000s knockoff that pulls hard on my nuts when i get even a little bit hard and it wakes me up and shit
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.