[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS Cringe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 22

File: CringeScience.png (574KB, 1321x1238px) Image search: [Google]
CringeScience.png
574KB, 1321x1238px
Why are so many CS students so cringey?

This kid just mass mailed this out to the entire class. I seriously feel embarrassed for him.

Thank god I only have 2 more CS classes to take for my computer engineering degree, the other engineering and math students are usually more down to earth.

Post your cringiest CS student stories
>>
>>8378956
>white hat hacking government systems
i can't even wash the cringe and stupid out of my eyes.
>>
>>8378964
That, plus the title, plus his threats to snitch to the prof, plus his """cool-guy""" picture at the end
>>
I'm a cs major and there's not that much cringe in my class but I go to a pretty good school, the closest there is to cringe is talking about memes on facebook group chats (never in real life) and maybe the occasional literal neckbeard (but the neckbeards are generally pretty smart and chill people)
>>
>>8378956
He has a good attitude and connections, he'll probably get a great job and you'll be stuck posting on /sci/ for the rest of your life.
>>
>>8378984
Only about 10% of the kids are cringey autists where I'm at (most are fairly normal) but in my other classes (physics, math) there were students that would throw tantrums and yell at the instructor over what they thought a correct answer should be and every time I already knew they were a CS major (has happened about 5-6 times within the last year)
>>
>>8378956
>in CS, 4th year
>all lazy fucks got kicked out during mandatory Physics courses
>everyone around is a decent human being
Did I do something wrong?
>>
>>8378988
>implying /sci/ is a bunch of neets
>>
>>8379003
I'm assuming this kid hasn't been through physics yet as he is 18. I only have had to put up with freshmen and sophomores so far. I hope they get better.
>>
>>8379005
No, but it's mostly a bunch of freshmen who only brag about their major and/or university. These people are also mostly American.
>>
File: 1401221830932.jpg (97KB, 533x471px) Image search: [Google]
1401221830932.jpg
97KB, 533x471px
>>8378988
No, he's clearly autistic, but no surprise that some other autistic CS major thinks he has "a good attitude". Fucking CS brainlet socially inept monkey.
>>
>TI-83
>TI-BASIC
THAT'S NASTY
>>
>>8378956
Usually these number of these assholes is reduced in 3rd year classes. In pure engineering they usually drop out faster or you leave them behind.
In CE you usually take classes from both CS and Eng. department so you got thrown together with the tards.

>Why are so many CS students so cringey?
Idk. Extremely cringy social outcasts apply for CS. The problem is they aren't socially bad because they spent their time instead on computers (out of interest) it's the other way around: they're retarded so they spend their time on computers. Also the retard level "I have fallen in love with subject X." mostly comes from people who only have a sort of adoration for the subject, but they can't really understand it deep enough though.

Avoid the tard that fixes the problem.
>>
>>8378956
Go to the department head and say his email made you feel "unsafe."
>>
>>8378956
guitarist here
I like how he cropped the picture to try and hide the fact that he's playing a cheap jackson ibanez copy
>>
>>8379041
Being outgoing sometimes involve doing a bunch of corny shit.
Better a kid that takes that sort of risk than an introvert whose only concern is to never look ridiculous.
>>
>>8379014
Literally me and I have no regrets. This is a freshman board, deal with it.
>>
>>8379854
This. It's a freshman world, you're all just living in it.
t. buttmad in seattle
>>
>>8379825
THIS IS SO GENIUS

DO IT OP
>>
>>8378984
Hi, Ethan
>>
>>8379852
Why? There is nothing to gain.
>>
>>8378956

He admitted to being a cyber-terrorist, report him.
>>
>>8378988
This.

Dude has connections. You should befriend him and try and use this to your advantage.
>>
>>8380201
There is everything to gain in taking risks.
>>
>>8380242
In this case no.
>>
lol at anyone here trying to act cool

if you're posting on /sci/ you're a phaggot and aren't much better than Ethan whether you admit it or not
>>
>>8379841
Beat me to it
You can tell from the fretboard
>>
>>8378956
You might think this is cringeworthy, but he's probably going to be much more popular than you OP. Maybe you could learn something from this guy.
>>
>>8378956
how about you're both faggots OP
you and your class nemesis
the fact that you posted this here makes you seem like a bitch who longs for approval, same counts for his mass mail but at least he's not hiding behind anonymous
>>
>>8380302
Hi Ethan
>>
>>8378956
I used to tutor in my Community College's CS lab. I had to deal with "CS majors" who literally did not understand the concept of multiplication. Explaining modulus to them was a nightmare.

And don't get me started on the fucking autism of some of the other tutors. They'd debate or give people advice on shit and it was clear they were talking out their ass / parroting what they read on reddit.

I'm just glad I was finally able to transfer out to a real school, even if the way they transfer credits is fucking retarded. I've got a bunch of holes in prerequisites for upper level classes because the CS track at my old school was in C++ and this school uses Java. Also semester units to quarter units. Combine the two and I'm being forced to take a class where the first lecture was literally 30 minutes of the professor dropping spaghetti while reading slides about what an array is in Java.(Yay for having a professor who has spent the last 10 years as a Software Engineer and has never taught a college course before)
I wouldn't mind the easy material and nervous professor except for the fact that he's assigned a shitload of homework.
>>
>>8378956
Jesus fuck. I'm glad I'm not in CS.
>>
Can Ethan be the new /sci/ mascot?

Also MOAR CRINGE PLZ
>>
This post is copy pasta. Go fuck yourself OP.
>>
>>8378956
I like him.
>>
>>8378956
He seems to be a nice guy trying to show himself and find companions for a better quality of study process. I can't see anything bad in that. Things he wrote might be stupid but that's not out of malice.
t. math major
p.s. the reason you don't see this with math students is because we're mostly autistic.
>>
>>8380721
>nice guy

Synonyms for 'nice guy':
creep
autist
cuck

Tell me what is good about being a creepy autistic cuck?
>>
>>8378956
OP is mad because ethan gets mad pussy
>>
>>8380728
>so much externalized self-hatred
You're a wonderful person, anon
>>
>>8379013
>I only have had to put up with freshmen and sophomores so far. I hope they get better.
Same here, family. It's really depressing being around lazy fucks who don't belong in college. Faggots who aren't interested in their major, who don't study the basic fucking shit that's laid out for them right out in the open, and yet are very vocal about their doing terribly on their exams. If I have to listen to another one of these fuckers brag about how much they didn't study the night before the exam, I am going to crack a fucking skull.
>>
>>8380734
>so much externalized self-hatred

What the fuck? Is this a new meme?

Daaamn Daniel!
>>
>>8380739
That's what it is. The well-adjusted people who tear you apart for your honest mistakes don't laugh at or consume cringe humor
>>
>>8380734
Seconded
>>
>>8379003
You are on the wrong side of things unfortunately
>>
>>8378984
I'm at a community college, none of the cringe people made it past the first semester CS courses.
>>
>>8379005
>implying it isn't

there are a fuckton of "self taught" physicists and mathematicians here.
>>
>>8378956
For an 18yo, this kid isnt that cringey at all. What is pretty cringey is sharing his shit on 4chan for e-points.

Edit: read the last sentences. Wtf.
>>
>>8381406
OP here
*anonymous e-points
And it's mostly the snitching comment that made me cringe, although I am pretty sure I was at least this cringey when I was 18
>>
>>8378956
I'm no CS major (maths/finance/stats/cs), but it was my favourite topic out of all my courses, just get to take it the least. That being said, everybody in that class had the biggest chip on their shoulder, as if they got bullied in school. Tried to emulate jock culture in their nerdy dota way, rather than how most people grow up at uni.

I do better than them at their major in the courses I've taken of it, but I swear I've met so many fuckwits and idiots that take it.
>>
>>8380394
Oh god, I've overheard conversations about this with fucking engineers! Abhorrent.
>>
>>8378956
>Post your cringiest student stories
Because I was using a fake profile picture and name on facebook, a bunch of kids in a 'CS freshers' facebook group got triggered and reported my profile.
Also just recently turned up to a google recruitment event, and they mentioned how they were offering scholarships to people who """"identify"""" as female, and while most people nervously laughed, some people looked really impressed with how progressive it was.

These are a couple of the non-autistic stories. If we're going for autistic stories, I couldn't fit them in a single post.
>>
>>8381393
>there are a fuckton of "self taught" physicists and mathematicians here.

heh sure thing buddy
>>
>>8378956
>majoring in cs
Now that's cringe.
>>
>>8378956
These people are social failures. Put them into a normal program and they will grow up, maybe have one or two ticks because they literally need to relearn so much but become average people. If they have any motivation and genuine interest, they may be hardworking students and change the course after finding out where they want to work. Without the pressure from jocks in high school and their hormone overdose, university is a very valuable experience for them, way more than for others.

In CS their number has reached some critical mass. Instead of seeing how normal people interact, taking them as examples, slowly evolving into normal human beings by working with them in a somewhat organized fashion, they see other retards and think that it is normal to behave like this. Suddenly they watch ponyshit and people don't laugh at you but give you compliments. You leave the house without shoes and nobody calls you out. It's like a feedback loop: enter as an autist, leave as a huge autist.

The worst is of course, that they are not only social retards, they reenact what others do in teenage years instead of accepting that it's too late. Drinking and coming late and refusing to learn and blaming the teacher instead of yourself is now cool. And so after 5-6 semesters, CS courses only have two kind of people left:
- normal people interested in the subject
- literal autists who are extremely good at one subfield
Retards and normies in for the money are all out (unless you go to a shit "SE is CS" school , in that case you still have the people who want an easy webdev job)
>>
>>8378988
>/sci/
>literally the only board where you can't properly call someone out for being a neet
>did it anyways
You madman.
>>
>>8378988
This

He is making a good faith effort to socialize (and gain connections)
>>
He'll be weeded out, soon
>>
OP here giving an update
So basically everyone in the class was talking about his cringeworthy email, and he's now the biggest loser in the class. Though, this was kickstarted by the fact that aside from the email, he's also EXTREMELY VOCAL and will interrupt the professor to give some """""cool""""" facts and historical info about the material.

My favorite: "Yeah, linear algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."

Everyone despises him, and the professor had to tell him to hold off on his questions until he finished. My god
>>
>>8381824
Jesus Christ the meme must be fucking real with Computer Science. Almost hard to believe. This is why I'm studying Applied Mathematics for a soft dev job instead of this meme field
>>
>>8382265
Give him a wedgie
>>
>>8379003
All the CS majors I know demolished Physics.

Physics is nothing compared to 80 hour programming projects in 3000 level classes.
>>
>>8382265
This thread is hallelujah mountain, keep updating OP.
>>
>tfw we're living in a society where being outgoing and sincere and not shielding your elf under ten layers of irony and cynicism is considered weird and everyone makes fun of you for it
feels bad man
>>
>>8382325
I hate when my elf isn't under ten layers of irony and cynicism
>>
>>8382299
>guaranteed replies
>>
File: 1464831877872.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1464831877872.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>8382299
>>
>>8382265
Oh God, this is the kid who needs to be shut down
>>
File: underwear-trajectory.jpg (40KB, 629x433px) Image search: [Google]
underwear-trajectory.jpg
40KB, 629x433px
>>8378956
I bet this fag wears tighty whities
>>
>have many friends who are CS majors
>i hate computers, and consider myself clueless about them
>i consider myself "good" with computers in the sense that i can troubleshoot most problems in windows or spend 5 hours figuring out how to wigwam the new drivers for some broken shit if i absolutely have to
>i've built my own PCs since my mid-teens, but i hate doing it, and i only learn contemporary hardware standards JUST LONG ENOUGH to build the thing without getting ripped off, and then i forget everything
>tldr: i am not great with computers, but i have to use them, so i try to get along
>figure i'm pretty normal for any 90s kid who likes PC video games
>talk to fuckload of my CS major friends
>they're BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY that i built my own PC
>they're BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY that i can do basic shit
>half of them can't use alt+tab and shit like that
>i swear to god one of them didn't know about keyboard hotkeys for copy+paste
>one of them has an alienware laptop
>all of them buy their computers off-shelf or from super expensive alienware-type things

What the hell man
>>
>>8382265
Gosh, you guys really want to scoff at him but you don't seem to recognize that if you go too far with that shit you set up a highly anti-intellectual climate in your class and lose in quality of your study.

> "Yeah, linear algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."
Despite it's not a clever thing to say out loud you shouldn't blame his personality for this or get angry. There is a better way -- don't frustrate, be smarter and make not angry but ironical and clever comments or no comments at all.

>Everyone despises him
This would never happen among actually clever people. Think of it.

>>8382325
Agreed.

t. math major
>>
>>8382299
TO BE HONEST I DON'T DOUBT THIS ( IMPLYING COMPETENT CODING )
>>
>>8382325
This is true, but it has little to do with why the guy in OP is an autist.

There's a difference between being sincere about enjoying CS and sending every stranger in your class 3 paragraphs of bragging about how cool and smart you are

Trying this hard to impress people makes you a blowhard in any society
>>
>>8382429
t. Autistic psued

People who are stupid enough to expose themselves deserve all the bullying they get. There's nothing wrong with weeding out those weaker than us. And there's nothing anti-intellectual about shutting down a retard that serves as a detriment for actual, thought-provoking discussion. You make it seem as if we're dedicating all of our energy into hating this guy. He's like a fly; whenever he gets too courageous and steps out of his place, we just shoo him off. Thankfully our professor understands this and keeps him in check, for the most part.
>>
Jesus, I feel bad for this guy. He's probably lonely, and just wants to make friends with people and thinks that the way you do this is to impress everyone and show off.

He's doing the exact opposite of what you should do, which is to stop focusing on yourself and show genuine interest in other people. People like people that make them feel good about themselves; this will trump everything else. It's really that fucking easy. I wish I knew this "secret" back when I was in high school. I had to be a fucking door-to-door blender salesman to finally figure this shit out.

Of course this doesn't mean you just compliment people. That's another common mistake. People, even normalfags, regardless of what sci may believe, are at least smart enough to pick up on blatant flattery, but there are ways to circumvent being picked up on the radar.

I can speak more on this if anyone's interested.
>>
>>8382477
Do you compliment people to earn their favour? It's a strange way to communicate really even if people like it at first.
>>
>>8382497
>>8382477
>Of course this doesn't mean you just compliment people.
>>
>>8382477
I'm interested. A lot of the time I feel I have to carry the conversation whether its talking about myself, stories or just random shit.
>>
File: 1466038254326.png (832KB, 1009x6647px) Image search: [Google]
1466038254326.png
832KB, 1009x6647px
>>8382477
>show genuine interest in other people
Anyone with social connections has more than enough people genuinely interested in them, or convincingly faking it.
The social marketplace requires you sell yourself, frame potential relationships in terms of the other person's self interest.
I have seen people do essentially what this Ethan kid did, only more obnoxiously, and walk away popular instead of laughed at

"stop focusing on yourself and show genuine interest in other people" is just another shameless, just-world copout
>>
>>8382477
>implying
When I get invited to a dinner I ask who I'll be seated next to so I can do research beforehand on their job. Get on my level.
>>
I'm a graduate student in theoretical computer science at a school that has upper-level undergrads take classes with graduates.

Something I've noticed is that the normal computer science majors here (the ones that have to do systems plus theory) are fairly normal socially; we have this separate major called 'math and computer science,' though, that seems to attract the most cringe-worthy bunch.

Just the other day I had the misfortune of sitting near one. He relentlessly raised his hand to answer every single (babby-tier) question the professor was asking. Each time his answer was acknowledged, he would do this autistic rocking in his chair and nod to himself; when his friend (also of this type) raised his hand and gave a slightly erroneous 2deep4u answer (that he'd heard in another class), both of them began to berate the professor saying, "NO IT'S NOT! IT'S NOT WRONG! NO IT'S NOT!"
>>
>>8378956
It's not cringey, it's cute I think. He's just 18 too.
>>
>>8382527
I'm that guy that answers every question in undergrad even if I'm wrong. 90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"
The other side of the coin in comp sci is that everyone is too autistic to participate. I know those cunts know but are too lazy to speak up.

But I do agree the people who obnoxiously point out an error are the worst. It's not that much of a skill to say it politely or ask a loaded question that makes the professor look and realize logically that he made a mistake.
>>
>>8378956
>Embassy library now on web.
>>
>>8382477
>feeling bad for a compsci major
>>
>>8382521
>The social marketplace requires you sell yourself, frame potential relationships in terms of the other person's self interest.

Only if you want to be friends purely with sociopaths and autists. The fact that you use the term "social marketplace" is a good marker that you're an autist with few friends (and you're probably "that guy" to those few).
>>
>>8382521
This pic is such bullshit. Look and confidence are 90% earned, and not inherited.

t. someone who had neither but earned both
>>
>>8382552
>the people who obnoxiously point out an error are the worst
This.
It's far from the worst sort of relational aggression, but it is among the most shortsighted and unsubtle. So naturally you'd expect that behavior to get dogpiled by an environment that imagines itself the pinnacle of decency and refinement.
I only pointed out one mistake, and that was because the prof asked me directly.
>>
>>8382552
>90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"

Yeah, don't worry pal, some of your classmates think you're a dick, but fuck them. I do this as well, you might want to tell your classmates that you answer shit just to keep the class moving so they know that you're not a faggot. They'll understand.
>>
>>8382552
>"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"

haha. fucking teaching monkeys
>>
>>8382325
He's not being outgoing and sincere, he's self-aggrandizing and probably an idiot. I've never met a genuinely intelligent and educated person who went around telling everyone how much they know
>>
>>8382569
Relationships are transactional. I don't think recognizing that is autistic.
I have been genuinely interested in others' lives and work before and seen that count for very little. You're making a drastic oversimplification because you find it reassuring
>>
>>8382569
>The fact that you use the term "social marketplace" is a good marker that you're an autist
Or that's he's over 30 and realist about what he expects from life.
>>
>>8382615
>>8382634
>/r/pua
>>
File: 1475018890267s.jpg (1KB, 93x37px) Image search: [Google]
1475018890267s.jpg
1KB, 93x37px
>>8382552
>tfw prof realizes you know stuff so he points at you without volunteering if nobody else answers
>tfw either have to lie and say I don't know or be that fucker answering 50% of the questions by himself
>>
>>8382552
>90% of the time it's just because I want the lecture to keep moving because I'm sick of hearing
>"...and the result is....iiiiiis???IIIIs what everybody????"
Yea for real this shit is so stupid.
>>
>>8382518
Ok, so the key is to allow people to talk about themselves and to compliment themselves.

If you feel you have to carry the conversation, you're talking too much and you should let the other person speak. How to do this without seeming interrogative? Just make statements that assume something about them and allow them to agree (or even better) disagree with your statement and then clarify themselves. People love disagreeing/clarifying when it comes to personal details. You'd be surprised at the type of sensitive stuff people will spout just because they want to disagree with some assumption you made about them.

That's the first step, it'll allow you to actually get to know the other person. Then you direct the conversation toward stuff you both have in common. If you have nothing or very little in common, it's probably just best to move on. There's no sense in getting to know someone you have nothing in common with. But really, everyone has something in common with you. No man is an island.

As for letting them compliment themselves, an easy way is to just make third-person statements and then let them apply those statements to themselves in their mind. A very easy way to do this is to talk about it from the perspective of a friend.
e.g Person tells you he's worked XYZ. You mention your friend who also worked XYZ (or something similar) and how he told you it required (qualities you want to compliment person on).

This doesn't register as a "compliment" but it does make the other person feel good, because in their heads they can agree with you without feeling arrogant.

That's really all there is to it. Just let the other person talk. Don't worry about them realizing that they're doing all the talking either, most people never do.

What you're essentially doing is taking advantage of the misattribution bias (I learned this much later). You're making them feel good, so they associate good feelings with you and conclude that they like you.
>>
File: nM7kqctr.jpg (188KB, 1439x1374px) Image search: [Google]
nM7kqctr.jpg
188KB, 1439x1374px
>>8382645
>tfw you know he's about to ask a question you dont understand
>room silent
>anon mind explaining why
>room remains silent
>>
>>8382659
Couple additional things:

Don't whine or complain. Joking around or griping about a common enemy is well and good, but actual whining makes people feel bad (and yourself feel bad too). Stay positive.

Stay away from sensitive topics initially. People have strong feelings about things like religion, politics, even sports teams, unless its an opinion/belief you share in common, best not to risk offending them.

Occasionally ask for small favors and do favors for them. If they thank you, make sure to say something like "It's cool, I know you'd do the same for me." to let them feel they can reciprocate. Reciprocation is very powerful.

Smile and laugh more. It makes you look more attractive, laughter and smiling is contagious, you'll feel good and make others feel good.

Don't worry so much of what "they" are thinking about you. Most likely they're just thinking about themselves. Let them.
>>
>>8380721
>p.s. the reason you don't see this with math students is because we're mostly autistic.

I wish this was true. Most of the people in my classes are outgoing/well-rounded people, so I have to say hi when we pass and maintain eye-contact in conversations
>>
>>8382450
>Trying this hard to impress people makes you a blowhard in any society

This
>>
>>8382577
As a professor, yes for the love of God, answer something, ANYTHING, so the class can keep moving along...students who don't interact or participate make the class slow and boring
>>
>>8378956
why do so many CS gangbang the only hot girl in the class
>>
>>8382716
Why can't professors just stand at the front of the room and fucking talk.

I only come to lectures in the first place because you know things I don't. Please just tell me them.

This is honestly the one and only thing Chinese profs are consistently good at. Even though they're basically just writing the textbook on the board at least they aren't wasting 1/3 of the class waiting for feedback the class clearly is not interested in giving them
>>
>>8378956
I sense the highest level of insecurity in this young man. The message is not "Hi, I'm Ethan" but "Hi, I'm better than you, see? I'm sure I'm better. Don't you ever tell me I'm not better than you." He probably has never had a real long-lasting relationship with a peer (due to him being moving around the world with his State Department papa), and has thus not developed the normal social skills. But he's still young and will either learn the hard way or become severely depressed.
>>
>>8382265
>interrupt the professor to give some cool facts
This is why I don't go to class
>>
>>8382804
>tfw can't skip classes even for courses where I know all the material because I lack the self-discipline to stay on top of the work otherwise
>>
>>8382552
>I'm that guy that answers every question in undergrad even if I'm wrong

me too and for the same reason

I've had two outbursts from teachers/professors where they get mad and start yelling because no one is answering.

It's safer to just answer.
>>
>>8382719
>hot girl in CS course
This is not a real life situation
>>
>>8382821
>>8382552
y'all right lads
it's actually a necessary social dynamic anyway
>>
>>8382796
Fuck, I was just as much of an overconfident nerd going into college and now I'm alpha as fuck, the kid's 18 let him grow up. Granted it took several hundred doses of LSD and some perfectly timed intervention by blonde chicks to get me to this point, but he's already making some effort to make friends and will probably be able to hold a normal conversation by the time he graduates, and if he goes straight to grad school he won't even need to.
>>
>>8382719
This

Computer Science major here

I see so many try hards students who try to look smart in front of hot girls in my classes.
>>
>>8382796
moving around is the best way to develop social skills
at least the social skills that matter outside of your village, Cletus
>>
>>8382862
Not necessarily, not if he doesn't socialize each time he moves
>>
>>8382862
Does he sound like he has the proper understanding of what is socially acceptable or not?
>>
>>8378956
I'd cringe if he were a proper adult (18 year old undergrads are not real adults) so it just seems like a kid being silly.
>>
>>8380242
If you have everything to gain, then it's not a risk
>>
>>8378956
>CS majors claiming their courses are mathematical
>CS majors claiming their courses are more mathematical than other science and engineering subjects
>CS majors claiming their courses are a superset of mathematics

triggers me every time
>>
>>8382693
>this
I'm a math major that is also /lit/ af, and has a gf. Most of us really aren't that autistic; even most of my professors are sociable demi-chads.
>>
>>8382838
tell us more
what did the intervetions by blonde chicks entail
also do you think it's safe to buy LSD on darknet?
>>
>>8380242
Jump out of a plane without parachute, so much to gain from risk!
>>
>>8384939
We will gain 1 less worthless faggot.
>>
>>8378956
send this kid a picture of a blue waffle and ask for medical help with your testicles

post results
>>
>>8378956
kek
>inb4 that guy fails algorithms
>>
>>8382299
>80 hour programming projects in 3000 level classes

*writing 8 lines of code.
>>
>>8378988
He's doing stuff by a template. Wouldn't be surprised if his dad pushed him in CS because he was "good with those computer stuff".
>>
>>8382879
This. Travelling around actually makes your social skills a mess, becuase different stuff are accepted in different places.
>>
>>8382521
>Anyone with social connections has more than enough people genuinely interested in them, or convincingly faking it.
Agreed. This is probably not true of college freshmen, however.
>The social marketplace requires you sell yourself, frame potential relationships in terms of the other person's self interest.
This is really where he goes wrong. People want to be reassured and entertained, not impressed.
>>
>>8382265
if your college is a gun free zone, you might have a problem there m8
>>
It's their way of compensating for the fact that there's absolutely nothing scientific about being a code monkey.
>>
File: 810414f9.jpg (171KB, 843x851px) Image search: [Google]
810414f9.jpg
171KB, 843x851px
>majoring in CS
>getting a degree for a menial skill

What's next, a PhD in crocheting? Masters in plumbing?
>>
>>8385305

>Being this pretentious

Have you ever actually taken up a course in CS?
>>
>>8385305
>CS is just 4 years of programming courses
>>
>>8385248
>People want to be reassured and entertained, not impressed
Yes, that's what they're buying
To be impressive is often to poke insecurities
>>
This could be any major. Nothing to do with CS and "cringy". Stupid generalizing fucks.
>>
>>8378956
NNEEEERRRRRDDDDD
>>
>>8385307
Yeah and they were a joke. To make matters worse, they were 4th year courses and all the CS majors struggled like hell in them.
>>
>>8379476
as a social retard who doesn't know shit about computers yet spends a majority of my life on them.. can confirm
>>
>>8385397

> they were a joke
> all the CS majors struggled like hell in them

I would've believed you but you just had to make yourself seem superior.
>>
>>8382787
>Chinese profs
riiiry hard to understand

> just writing the textbook on the board
College is scam. We just pay for the diploma. Nobody teaches anything, Youtube/libgen to the rescue. How the hell did students manage to learn shit some 20 years ago with all this bullshit called "teaching" in research schools where they don't give a shit about teaching in the first place?
>>
>>8379476
>they're retarded so they spend their time on computers
Yea, smart kids play video games and watch TV and text each other. They won't touch a computer with a ten foot pole. Programming? Nah. Too retarded.
>>
>>8382645
There were some days where I really read ahead in Calc II and looked like a prodigy because people thought I was doing the examples on the board in my head when I just did them last night. The professor used book problems I just so happen to run into the night before.

The result was him calling on me every fucking time nobody answered and when I didn't read ahead for the day making me look like I had some kind of bipolar mathematical literacy.
>>
File: so wow.png (188KB, 1294x912px) Image search: [Google]
so wow.png
188KB, 1294x912px
>>8385413
A child could pass them with ease. It's not an accomplishment to be superior to CS majors.
>>
>>8382477
I'd say this man is right, people remember one thing about you and that's the way you made them feel.
>>
>>8385305
>>8385397
>>8385607

CS can vary from REEAALLY applied stuff to much more theory-based stuff. I have to admit that the theory-based stuff is not exceptionally hard, though.
CS as a major is a trap, and CS majors as a whole give CS a bad name. It's actually a perfectly fine subject to pursue at postgraduate level, though.
>>
>>8385607
the guy arguing about TCP/IP is right though
>>
>>8385607
>that pic

saved
>>
>>8378956
While you will amount to nothing this kid has the potential to be someone who matters for the world's history. Laugh all you want from your madiocre lives and jobs, people like him will leave their mark on the world more likely than you will ever do
>>
File: 1471149217955.png (287KB, 836x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1471149217955.png
287KB, 836x1065px
>>
>>8378988
>he'll probably get a great job and you'll be stuck posting on /sci/ for the rest of your life
>implying being a codemonkey and eventually managing codemonkeys for 80 hours a week is a "great" job
At least I'll be happy posting on /sci/ from my adjunct professor hut
>>
There's a few literal autists and the chicks fall into 3 categories:
edgelord goths who want nothing to do with anyone
special snowflake memesters
pls-do-my-homework-for-me sluts

I sit by one of the special snowflake memesters and she introduced herself to me like 2 weeks into class since we had a mutual friend. the next class day she was literally talking to herself waiting for someone (i.e. me since I was one of the few who'd shown up to class that early) to respond

Fuck attention whores, I just sat there in silence
>>
>>8380394
>the first lecture was literally 30 minutes of the professor dropping spaghetti while reading slides about what an array is in Java.(Yay for having a professor who has spent the last 10 years as a Software Engineer and has never taught a college course before)
I have a professor exactly like this and I've recently made it my goal in life to be a better professor than him.
>>
>>8380687
Is Barrnet still our mascot? I've been MIA for a while
>>
>>8380733
>unironically using pussy as a metric
What are you, a biofag?
>>
>>8386338
You will fail.
>>
>>8386349
nah, I'll probably just end up being a carbon copy of him.

He's a bit awkward though.There was a bug in the compiler that he recommended for class and I told him I'd found a fix. I emailed him the StackOverflow thread and never received a response. Just earlier this week my code for a lab was buggy and neither of us could figure out why, so he told me to email him the code. Still haven't heard back
>>
File: 1314446463220.jpg (32KB, 634x350px) Image search: [Google]
1314446463220.jpg
32KB, 634x350px
>>8380394
>>8386338
professor in Java course spent more time shilling Eclipse and test frameworks than on the actual Java/OOP

so glad to be done with that course
>>
>>8386359
>shilling Eclipse

it's free, though.................
>>
>>8386356
Fixing a bug in the compiler? Are you serious? What kind of a bug?
>>
>>8386360
the purpose was to learn OOP/Java to be honest
not all the obscure shortcuts and macros you can use from some obscenely bloated ide
>>
>>8386366
I don't remember the specifics but it had something to do with how the libraries were set up. I googled the error message and found a thread that gave a zip file with instructions to replace/rename certain files.

I emailed him the link to the thread because others were having issues and when I tried explaining it to him after class I couldn't remember the wording of the error message.
>>
>>8382477
>Of course this doesn't mean you just compliment people. That's another common mistake. People, even normalfags, regardless of what sci may believe, are at least smart enough to pick up on blatant flattery, but there are ways to circumvent being picked up on the radar.
I grew up with a friend that was like this. Turns out he was just "collecting friends" to feel better about himself and was always starting drama among them. Plus he was retarded and nearly got weeded out in a first semester CS class

I eventually told him to fuck off because I could see how self-centered and nonserious he was, plus he wouldnt stop goading me into hanging out with his bullshit friends. I feel kinda bad for just dropping our friendship but I couldn't deal with him anymore
>>
>>8380242
Don't mind them. Brainlets will never take risks.

That's the failure ideology. I'm sorry guys.
>>
>>8386356
Become this guy. 14:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzJ2_DfNX0#t=14m16s
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31KB, 694x968px
>>8378956
>Post your cringiest CS student stories

That time this overly proud CS graduate stated how he was at the top of the game for job selection now that he graduated. It almost killed me with cringe.
>>
>>8386407
Stupid smileyposter.
>>
>>8378956
Eh, he's a little bit too pleased with himself, but other than that he seems like a decent kid. This is coming from a previous CS-major. I've seen much, much worse.
>>
>>8382265
I was in university with a guy just like him and everyone also fucking hated him.

Maybe the people defending this guy just haven't encountered these characters in real life, but it's seriously something to behold when you do.

The ego on these guys is just unbelievable. I don't know what's going on through their minds when they're asking these questions. It's like they're in a grade school mentality where they still think that them feigning enthusiasm to the professor with pointless questions and comments is going to get them a better grade.

Eventually it just becomes really cringeworthy and sad. One of those dudes who's just not on the same wavelength socially as everyone else is. They try pretty hard I guess to fit in but it all goes really wrong. They end up looking like the most annoying, stuck up cunts.

I know if I received the email you received OP I would hate him too. I simply don't care about another student's story and their reason for studying whatever it is they're studying. To send an email to every student just reeks of 'look at me, look how interesting i am' and it's honestly pathetic. The people defending this guy are also social retards.
>>
>>8382265
>My favorite: "Yeah, linear algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."

You should have zinged back: "Yeah, 6th grade algebra is used extensively in computer science, which is amazing since it's so simple to grasp."
>>
>>8386631
Hey I did algebra in 6th grade look how much superior I am to you guys
t. cringelord
>>
>>8386653
>butthurt

What grade do 'merikans take Algebra I now?
>>
>>8386698
Your level of self-awareness here is fucking unreal
>>
>>8386698
/int/
>>
>>8386631
>linear algebra is used extensively in computer science

s/cs/graphics/
>>
>>8385607
The Internet is one of the best inventions ever made by mankind, fuck you.

I kek'd heartily at the other posts though
>>
>>8386902
>SYN: The active open is performed by the client sending a SYN to the server. The client sets the segment's sequence number to a random value A.
>SYN-ACK: In response, the server replies with a SYN-ACK. The acknowledgment number is set to one more than the received sequence number i.e. A+1, and the sequence number that the server chooses for the packet is another random number, B.
>ACK: Finally, the client sends an ACK back to the server. The sequence number is set to the received acknowledgement value i.e. A+1, and the acknowledgement number is set to one more than the received sequence number i.e. B+1.

Clearly this was the most difficult thing about inventing the internet. Where would we be without CS majors. EE monkeys playing with wires and RF did basically nuffin.
>>
>>8386742
Graphics is a subset of computer science, yes.
>>
>>8385397
What university was this at? American institutes seem to love mislabelling software engineering as CS
>>
>>8387780
At a top 10 school for CS and I was talking about theory courses.
>>
>>8387794
What uni?
>>
>mfw a compsci student complains about how hard his courses are
>>
>>8378956
Ethan did nothing wrong.
>>
>>8382787
Because they want you to think and learn DURING the lecture.
>>
>>8382400
CS is about software. You are a hardware fetishist.
>>
>>8388056
>CS is about software
you are confusing SE and CS
>>
File: 1464323370841.gif (506KB, 481x303px) Image search: [Google]
1464323370841.gif
506KB, 481x303px
>>8378956
Most of the cringey people at my school never make it past their first programming class or A+.

The people who stick it out past that are usually more serious.

>tdlr; /g/tards can't move past gaming PCs and memes
>>
>>8386948
>his knowledge of networking ends at the tcp handshake
>thinks he knows everything now
>>
>>8388064
CS majors don't know shit about hardware
CS majors don't know shit about software
CS majors don't know shit about theory
CS majors don't know shit about shit
>>
>>8388064
No, you are the one that is confused. CS is all software. SE is also software but requires at minimum some base of digital circuits and even a little bit of analog.
>>
>>8388183
No, that CE with a specialization in SE
>>
>>8379854
>i don't understand most the things people say on this board so no one does

classic brainlet, enjoy dropping out
>>
this board's opinion on CS triggers me.
dont feel superior because youre a math major. grad level cs may be easy but grad level math is too.
and research level cs is as hard as research level math.

t. math major
>>
>>8378956
I'm a 3rd-year CS major at a state university. About half of every class is weeaboos or people with speech impediments.
>>
>>8389720
>easy but grad level math is too

Possible, I've seen some "graduate schools" in math use baby Rudin for their "graduate" analysis courses.

But real grad level math is far harder than real grad level CS.
>>
>>8389744
my school is generally considered to be the best for math in my country (école normale supérieure) so please dont imply it doesnt teach ""real"" grad level math.
i take some cs courses because im interested in that field too and i dont find it "easier" than math
(for instance in my school they do category theory in cs, which is pretty much as hard as galois theory or whatever abstract algebra class)
>>
>>8386338
reminds of a C++ course I had to take, a 1/3rd of the time was wasted to learn unix commands
>>
File: trump memes.png (68KB, 611x338px) Image search: [Google]
trump memes.png
68KB, 611x338px
>>8378956
>>
>>8378956
I mostly block them out. I had a sophomore project class and one of my group members was really insistent on making a video game engine and we kind of shot his idea down. He tried to trumpet how good he was at programming when pitching his idea. Once we started actual work he never showed up to class again.

He later tried adding me on LinkedIn where he listed he was CEO of his own company.

I switched majors after that year for unrelated reasons.
>>
Not so much cringe right now. There's one turbo autist that doesn't understand you don't wear sweats and t shirts to a job fair.

Besides that the cringiest I've seen is redditors shitposting away on Reddit during lecture
>>
When I was in my Discrete Math class back in like 2008 there used to be this group or nerdy white beta male autists that would spout memes constantly saying shit like "pics or it didn't happen" and giggling like faggots. God I hated them. I guess it's probably much worse these days. Glad I switched over to ECE
>>
File: test6-16-2012-6.59.38 AM.jpg (14KB, 323x262px) Image search: [Google]
test6-16-2012-6.59.38 AM.jpg
14KB, 323x262px
This is old copy pasta, for fucks sake half of /sci/ fell for it.

Fuck you OP, I'm so sick of your shit.
>>
>>8391386
>white beta male autists

This. Why do we still allow white people into universities? We should just let them roam the earth like the animals they are.
>>
>>8391399
Well I'm also white so I can't agree on that one. Also they invented most of this shit
>>
>>8391414
>I'm also white

ew

>Also they invented most of this shit

No they didn't
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Timbuktu

The first university was established and perfected by black people. Whitey just stole the idea, as usual. I don't mind though, it makes sense for the puppy to emulate the wolf.
>>
>>8391422
Haha are you trolling or just really insecure? And yeah, you're right, Timbuktu has always been at the pinnacle of computer science/engineering lol
>>
>>8382552
I had a Chinese professor for the CSE class I had to take, and one thing I have noticed about asian teachers, is they hardly ever ask questions to the class. I guess it is too inefficient and wastes too much time, which explains why his lectures were always down to the last second.
>>
>>8391428
>Whitey mad because he knows white people are inferior and generally CENTURIES behind the superior races.
>>
>>8391422
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Timbuktu

Umm.......
>>
>>8391500
What do you expect in a white controlled internet?

Bunch of racists if you ask me. I wish white people would just die. Here is a non-racist source:

https://afrolegends.com/2009/09/04/timbuktu-the-worlds-first-and-oldest-university/

Here is a relevant quote:

>In one documentary, the speaker mentions that they translated one of the manuscript on Algebra from Arabic to French, and sent it to France to be evaluated educationally; well, that manuscript revealed that the mathematics it contained was currently studied in 2nd year of university in France, and the speaker then says “and that was taught at universities in Timbuktu before the 16th century“! Wow… my Goodness!

As someone who focuses on group theory and algebra in general, I am glad it was my people who discovered such magnificent structures.
>>
>>8391500

Not that anon but,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu_Manuscripts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankore_Madrasah
>>
>>8378988
Sad but true, dumbasses get successful through meaningless socializing. Took me a while to understand the point of "connections" is just spending your time being a social butterfly or pretending to be buddies with everybody rather than capitalizing on meaningful relationships.
>>
>>8380394
I know. I do CS at a decent uni and there are people who literally don't understand basic linear equations. They should have made A level maths a requirement.

Why did I choose CS? It's so easy.
>>
>>8378956
Wasn't exactly CS but close enough, barely remember, but some signals/systems course.

We had a rather extensive and difficult project. Some random guy taking the class sent out an email to everyone taking it, probably at least 50 people. It was a pretty incoherent and "rambly" email about the "brilliant" idea he had about how to solve the project. It was completely retarded and I almost felt sorry for him. But also kind of hubris to send it to everyone when you're not completely sure it's correct.
>>
File: 1432072974599.jpg (69KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
1432072974599.jpg
69KB, 706x706px
>yfw Ethan is now fucking all the girls that won't even take a second look at you
Seems to me like you're just a buttmad faggot, OP.
>>
>>8384883
>also do you think it's safe to buy LSD on darknet?

If you need to ask, don't do drugs.
>>
>>8378956
I think you have an anti-social problem.
>>
>>8382676
>Anon, mind explaining why?
>I actually don't know the answer.

Nothing awkward about it.
>>
>>8385103
Lotta people went to shit-tier universities in here.

Sophomore year we had to do a unique project using openGL and whatever language we wanted to make either an interactive simulation, some kind of 3d video game, or we could've done a computer vision and modeling project using openCV.

It only got harder from there. Brainlet schools in america huh?
>>
>>8389744
>real level math
>real level cs

Actual research CS is literally just a subset of mathematics.

You played yourself.
>>
>can't get in to any school that isn't cs
am i just that stupid? feels like shit, I fucking hate it
>>
File: 1464121770992.jpg (127KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
1464121770992.jpg
127KB, 800x449px
>>8391513
>afrolegends.com
>non-racist source

am i just being baited
Thread posts: 220
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.