[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WTF THERMODYNAMICS IS A MEME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS. IS THS A FUCKING JOKE A 1000 PAGE TEXTBOOK WITH LITERALLY NO CONTENT, IM SO FUCKING PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! AN ENTIRE FUCKING PAGE DEVOTED TO ENTROPY IN THE WORKPLACE AND INTERPERSONAL CONFLICTS?? WTF HOW CAN I TAKE THIS BOOK SERIOUSLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I CAN'T STAND THIS SHIT WHY DON'T WE JUST LEARN STATISTICAL PHYSICS WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ALL THESE REAL WORLD PROCESS DIAGRAMS WHERE IS THE MATHEMATICAL BEAUTY? FUCKING HELL ENGINEERING IS A FUCKING MEME FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!
>>
File: pepe.gif (1MB, 499x499px)
pepe.gif
1MB, 499x499px
>>8376234
Are you retarded?

You seriously went into this engineering shit without expecting to have to learn a bunch of useless technical details that will be obsolete in several years instead of the theory that will last until the end of man's days?

Nobody realizes this, but this is the reason pure math is Master Race. Not even the knowledge of physicists endures as long as the knowledge of mathematicians. Mathematics is eternal; engineering, natural science, and all this practical shit is merely temporary.
>>
>>8376258
Fuck! I hate mathfags now. /sci/ is the only place in the world someone would say this.
>>
>>8376258
I figured this out but its too late, i'm a senior graduating with a mechanical engineering degree that I know is worthless for the kind of work that I want to be doing. As soon as I graduate I'm going to try hard to unlearn this messy shit and work my way through some first class textbooks, like hoffman and kunze linear algebra, landau lifshitz mechanics, and statistical physics, and gelfands the calculus of variations. I don't care how long it will take but I will not die scientifically illiterate with nothing but a meme degree under my belt.
>>
>>8376258
Except that math is full of controversies and unexplained shit and axioms. Nothing is forever every theory changes as humanity changes.

Fuck off with your Art degree.
>>
>>8376268
> Mechanical engineering
Why the fuck? You should've at least aimed for electrical or nuclear engineering.
>>
>>8376268
You're literally cucking yourself out to pure sicence fags.
Grow a pair, go out and make a shit ton of money, stop calling a degree that gets you to actually do something in the real world a meme.
Ffs how do such faggots get into college?
>>
>>8376278
>HURR DURR WE ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING IN THE "REAL" WORLD

Engineers are the cancer of academia...
>>
>>8376268
You must be joking.

This is the most retarded thing i ever read.
>>
>>8376293
Oi, you! Don't make me collapse your wave function! *shakes p-brane violently*
>>
>>8376300
what about a mechanical engineer who has seen the light of mathematical beauty and wants to change his ways don't you understand?
>>
>>8376321
Such Cringe
Much Faggot
>>
>>8376321
A ME doesn't know much shit about mathematics. You are just confused. Dont be such a faggot. Get a happy challenging real world job and enjoy your life.
>>
>>8376324
I feel sorry for you if you can not appreciate yourself what I have seen. I read the first page of landau lifshitz mechanics and realized everything I had been taught was a complete watered down lie. Anyone in engineering who has not realized this yet is in denial over their shitty meme degree and muh money and jobs and shit
>>
>>8376324
>Get a happy challenging real world job

Jesus fucking Christ. What a complete faggot...
>>
>>8376351
Dude, you just dont understand the concept of "model". Of course we know shit can be more complicated, we just dont wanna be retarded.

Btw, you are a disgrace of an engineer. Please, go and be gay with a buch of mathfags.
>>
>>8376271
The difference is that in math, we just discover more to build on top of what we already have instead of having to throw techniques out the window every twenty years.

Don't be assmad.
>>
>>8376351
\sci where in the world is the best place to move to find a wife that looks like natalia withount moving to russia and having to deal with faggot russians all day
>>
>>8376321
I'll test you:

How many subsets can there be within an infinite set?
>>
>>8376268
>statistical physics
That shit was intense. It starts with stirlings approximation and doesn't let up until well beyond starting with statistics to DERIVE the ideal gas law right up until fermions/bosons.

Ahh the memories.

Unfortunately the economy wants drones to crunch numbers and not ask questions, so don't expect to find work or anything... also, as you eluded to, engineering degrees tend to "expire". so you might want to consider sending out resumes now instead.
>>
>>8376371
no fucking clue, probably 1/12 or something gay but if mathematicians can prove it, it must be true
>>
>>8376357
>Calling people who find actual fullfillment in life faggots
>>
>>8376371
Trick question because infinite sets don't exist.
>>
>>8376390
take your wilderburgurs back to youtube
>>
>>8376391
Write it down WRITE iT DOWN WRIT IT DOWN !
>>
>>8376384
A dog can find fullfillment in chasing it's tail.

And so can an engineer in OMG IM WORKING IN THE REAL WORLD MAKING MONEY AND SHIT, I'M THE PINNACLE OF THE HUMAN RACE.

Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>8376404
>Implying I ever even mentioned the word "pinnacle" in this thread
Idk why mathematicians get so butthurt just by being in the presence of an engineer.
We're only hard-working people and yeah, we feel pretty excited about learning and making new stuff for whatever reason.
Why are you so miserable about other people's life choices?
>>
>>8376425
>>8376425
>Idk why mathematicians get so butthurt just by being in the presence of an engineer.

Because:

"ALL men by nature desire to know. An indication of this is the delight we take in our senses; for even apart from their usefulness they are loved for themselves; and above all others the sense of sight. For not only with a view to action, but even when we are not going to do anything, we prefer seeing (one might say) to everything else. The reason is that this, most of all the senses, makes us know and brings to light many differences between things."(First paragraph of Aristotle's Metaphysics)

And engineering is the very definition of seeking knowledge as a mean to an end. I fucking hate all of you.
>>
>>8376234
Who is this cobbler gobbler?
>>
>>8376460
>living this deep underground
>>
>>8376460
Natalia Poklonskaya
>>
>>8376365
Not true, there are many different approaches in math, matching them is an ongoing work.

>having to throw techniques out the window every twenty years.
Not true in engineering or physics. If you have a better solution that doesn't mean that at a certain abstraction level with certain requirements the old technique doesn't work. You don't always use the "best" or "newest" solution to everything.

This board is truly full of arrogant dicks and delusions. Most math guys are know are just too stupid to understand the real world as good as physicists and engineers. Stay deluded faggots, meanwhile I'm gonna probably enter into an MSc in Applied Math with an Engineering Mathematics focus (modeling, control theory).
>>
>>8376351
Don't tell me you didn't have a course in analytical mechanics in your MSc degree.
>>
ITT autism level that is not theoretically possible
>>
>>8377204
Good luck, i heard sucking dicks is hard
>>
>>8376371
Depends what axiom you choose :~}
>>
>>8376278
The real world is the completion of the rational world with respect to the Euclidean (or other equivalent) metric.
>>
>>8376234
>go to nippongo to do a masters of engineering
>assume they are good at this shit and all
>some of the classes are literally the teacher showing a bunch of stress-strain curves for different materials
>for two hours
>>
>>8376450
Nowhere in that quote is it implied that finding joy in utility is ignoble. He just says that beauty in knowing is not contingent upon its physical function.

If you're going to going to be a pissy pseudophilosophical baby, be slicker about it.
>>
>>8377458
Considering that it will be your entire career to get yourself some grant money you should educate yourself in that regard better.
>>
>>8376258
>learn a bunch of useless technical details that will be obsolete in several years instead of the theory that will last until the end of man's days?

undergrad Mech E thermo hasn't changed in 100 years.
>>
>>8377746
Holy fucking kek

Engineerfags BTFO
>>
>>8377553
>:~}

This will be the new meme smiley. :^)
>>
>>8376450
>he thinks Aristotle was ever relevant and/or witty
i'm laughing at you right now
>>
>>8376234
This isn't /r9k/ and you aren't an engineer.
>>
>>8376234
thermodynamics is just a fucked up theory forced together by faulty equations
>>
>>8376460
>>8376475
I can't stop being amazed by comments like these.
You people should come visit us eastern europeans sometimes, you'll find a bunch like this one.
>>
>>8381881
It's the uniform that does it, anon.
>>
Where does this irrational hate for engineers even come from? Do pure math fags hate technology?
>>
>>8381881
>You people should come visit us eastern europeans sometimes
No, thanks. I'd prefer to stay out of your trash dump.
>>
>>8380951

>speaking from a position of authority
>clearly hasn't taken thermo beyond the minimum

whatever you say buddy
>>
>>8376278
What, you don't want to live the dream of the American Academic of sitting around masturbating and smoking while your department head puts their name in front of yours on the paper he didn't work on that nobody will read?
>>
stay mad OP.
>>
>>8376258
Newtonian physics is still actively taught and studied to this day. The essentials of previous theories are always retained; we just keep expanding the domain of validity.
>>
File: natalia_hands.jpg (15KB, 370x274px) Image search: [Google]
natalia_hands.jpg
15KB, 370x274px
>>8376234
OP here. I figured out my thermo HW. Thermo is alright. Guess I forgot how much money I will be making a year from now... sorry mathfags.
\end{thread}
>>
>>8376371
Infinitely many.
>>
>>8376258
physics phd student here, this post is 100% right

[good thing im doing quantum info theory]
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.