[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How high do you think a mountain would need to be before it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 9fcg42.jpg (922KB, 1984x1400px) Image search: [Google]
9fcg42.jpg
922KB, 1984x1400px
How high do you think a mountain would need to be before it's unclimbable?
(Assuming it have a similar profile to that of other 8000+ meter mountains)
>>
>>8374640
Mountains wouldn't evolve to be that tall because there's no evolutionary benefit to it.
>>
>>8374728

lol
>>
>>8374640
I don't see why there should be an obvious "limit", since if the mountain is similar in profile to real ones it's not going to be prohibitively steep.

With modern technology there's not really any major issue with dropping oxygen levels or temperatures either, although you might need specialized equipment.

Without oxygen the cap is probably a thousand or at most a couple thousand meters above Everest, considering that Everest is doable without supplemental oxygen but seems to be pretty close to the line for what's physically possible for a human being.
>>
>>8374640
All just a matter of equipment. At some height you probably need a full pressure suit. And then there's pretty much no limit (beyond stamina)
>>
there are a number of factors aside from height to consider. your question might have to do with money, too. "how many sherpas can i sacrifice to achieve this goal"
>>
There has to be some upper limit - at long enough timescales the crust and mantle behave fluidly and you can model mountains and other features as buoyant objects. At some point you have to hit a point where a mountain is large enough that increased mass just makes it sink instead of growing taller
>>
Everest is already high enough that climbers need supplemental oxygen. Dunno if that's what you're referring to.
>>
deepest depths of the ocean are far more fascinating than climbing frozen death spires for suicidal idiots
>>
>>8375290
this isn't true
_most_ climbers need supplemental oxygen but Everest has been done without oxygen tanks before
>>
>>8375542
>Everest has been done without oxygen tanks before
The whole thing? Without stopping at a base camp?
>>
>>8375321

I remember in my last universities inauguration, there was some "mandatory" presentation for new students where it was some dude who climbed Everest. all about self determination or whatever. it was extremely grating and "hype" and he used the opportunity to shill his book repeatedly. I think one of his friends died on the journey which is even worse, because he is responsible for their death for a wholly worthless feat that's claimed the lives of many. there are so many corpses on Everest, and for what? was that his plan all along? to do some pointless fear of man to run the motivational circuit forever? these people should be called out and despised imo imo
>>
>>8375589

man kills friend in spectacular and irresponsible manner, is a "hero." capitalizes on a tragedy of their own creation. fuck Everest and those dumb enough to climb it
>>
Because it's there.
>>
>>8375574

lol what? base camp is the starting point, and it's at 5,000+ meters. fastest ascent without oxygen is something like 20 hours. and of course they have to stop at the other camps. humans cannot just climb up 25,000 meters without stopping.
>>
>>8374640
There is no mountain high enough that it would be unclimbable and still not in outerspace. Merely a matter of money and time.
>>
Would you ever reach a point where the mountain got easier to climb because gravity was lower?
>>
File: Olympus_Mons.jpg (853KB, 692x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Olympus_Mons.jpg
853KB, 692x1448px
>>8374640
>How high do you think a mountain would need to be before it's unclimbable?
dont think there is a limit, maybe olympus mons on mars, which is ~22 KM high *mindblooow*
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.