[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

>age limit FUCK YOU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1280px-FieldsMedalFront.jpg (343KB, 1280x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-FieldsMedalFront.jpg
343KB, 1280x1230px
>age limit

FUCK YOU
>>
In all seriousness, I do think it's regrettable. It contributes to the old narrative of "you have to be brilliant straight away or you'll never produce anything of value".
>>
Feeling no emotion, step into the ocean. Now my mind is everywhere and drowning is the only thought I have.
>>
>>8371506
That's not what it is, it's motivating mathematicians to start working hard early.
>>
>>8371493
Especially since most mathematicians tend to produce better work at a younger age anyway (more so than in other sciences), there's no reason not to allow older people to win the prize.
>>
>>8371541
Not true. Look at the Abel prize, most individuals are older.

The Field's Medal is erroneously attributed to as "the mathematician's nobel prize." It wasn't intended for that. It was intended for "while it was in recognition of work already done, it was at the same time intended to be an encouragement for further achievement on the part of the recipients and a stimulus to renewed effort on the part of others."

Although I can understand this interpretation. (>>8371506)
>>
File: 138.png (62KB, 300x100px)
138.png
62KB, 300x100px
I'm just gonna go for the Wolffs medal. I've been waiting around being emotional for too long now. It's time to change.
>>
>>8371493
the fields medal means shit to the people who actually have a mathematical mind anyway

and yes, it is shit.
>>
Who cares about the Fields Medal, its just some stupid plastic coin they give to you as a pat on the back for trivial work. I have done so much good work and don't feel bothered that the International Mathematical Union hasn't mailed me a lollipop
>>
>>8371788

this

to be honest, if i were awared the fields medal, id straight up reject it out of the worthlessness of it
>>
>>8371689
>Not true. Look at the Abel prize, most individuals are older.
But most of the work for which they're awarded the prize was done a long time ago. Can you think of a mathematician who started an important research project after 50?
Even if it were true that the Abel prize was awarded for work later in life (which it isn't), that doesn't justify the Fields (not Field's, as you put it) medal having an age limit.
>>
>>8371816
Whatever you say, man
>>
Get cucked gramps
>>
>>8371493
>caring about winning medals

you should quit math.
>>
>>8371788
>>8371816
>>8371816
Wow, sour grapes much?
>>
Take comfort in the knowledge that all this does is measure and recognize an innate ability that you did nothing to attain but could only have lucked out and been born with
>>
>>8371541
Just like the triple integral meme kid, right lmao
>>
Awards are gay. It's what journalists, actors and other bullshit societies give to each other as a throwback to the ancient courtesan days when the King would bestow honors and the honoree would get into the court.

Math is not very often a solo endeavour either, you are always building on somebody's previous work and definitely some other mathematicians assisted you in verifying the correctness of whatever it is you're doing.

AI generated proofs will make all these ceremonies extinct in a few years anyway. I guess they can hand out medals for proving software correctness as you can only trust/verify the software and not the 10 billion page proof it generates.
>>
File: 1469354461663.png (572KB, 600x580px)
1469354461663.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>8372038
>10 billion page proof it generates
keked
>>
>>8371541
There is so much that might warrant you a prize such as this, that it would soon only be given to old people who have not yet gotten it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.