[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemicals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: chem.png (3MB, 2173x1118px) Image search: [Google]
chem.png
3MB, 2173x1118px
Do you know about any secret chemicals? Any reports or leaks about interesting or unusual chemicals you've encountered?

Maybe you have a favorite chemical? Write about it.
>>
>>8371490
I get a lot of leaks from my dick.
>>
>>8371490
Top right in that image is ballast tanks filled with water to simulate how different passenger loads and passenger shifting in-flight changes the plane's center of mass.
>>
File: tanks.jpg (229KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
tanks.jpg
229KB, 1000x750px
>>8371496
Are these also ballast tanks? I see these kind of images a lot but the resolution is usually always poor for some reason, but this one is pretty high so maybe you can tell what kind of tanks these are. You seem knowledgeable on these and i wanted to know since these pics pop up a lot
>>
>>8371505
Yes. Notice how the tanks are positioned where the seats would be.
They're set up so they can pump water between tanks to simulate moving passengers and different seating configurations.

If they were actually spraying chemicals into the air, having a bunch of little tanks like that in a jumbo jet would be incredibly inefficient.
>>
>>8371511
Ah that makes a lot of sense, thanks man
>>
>>8371490
What's going on in the bottom-right, why is he spraying that filthy yellow sludge at them?
>>
File: imeanisntthisjustfantastic.png (134KB, 1474x1600px) Image search: [Google]
imeanisntthisjustfantastic.png
134KB, 1474x1600px
>>8371490
I'm working in a lab right now that looks for novel toxic chemicals in public drinking water. I'm a lowly, senior undergrad, but the research group (specifically the PI) is responsible for discovering a lot of compounds that are unregulated but toxic.

My favorite compound is definitely cubane though. Pic related.
>>
>>8371679
That is one really cool molecule, i like how each of its corners has a hydrogen, if the inside is electronegative, does it mean the 8 "arms" have a positive charge? the mysteries of molecular structure
>>
>>8371679
Does cubane have any interesting life-science applications?
>>
>>8371703
Undegrad chemist here. I have been told about it by my Organic Chemistry prof more than a year ago, he said it is rather a proof of feasibility than actually useful. It is interesting because the 90 degrees angles make it have a lot of energetically disadvantageous strain. But there are no synthetic groups, it doesn't do things much differently than your usual short alkanes and inorganic chemistry has Zeolithes to keep small molecules inside them. I won't make the call that it is definitely useless, but I cannot think of a single particularly interesting property.
>>
>>8371702
You might like a physical organic chemistry course, if you haven't taken one already. I think you're right the s-like bonding orbitals around the hydrogens have partial positive charge character.
>>
>>8371679

its gorgeous OP, no sarcasm
>>
>>8371511
maybe they are lined up with the seats so it's easier to access the tanks .

What would it look like if they were spraying chemicals into the air?
>>
>>8371490
Turingite. It's a bunch of molecular switches arranged in such a way to make a three-dimensional cellular automata. One could theoretically make most powerful computer in the world(hence the name Turing) from it. People have grown huge nearly defect free crystals of it, meaning one could potentially make a computer with mole-quantities of logic elements from it.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to program because we don't have the technology to flip individual molecular switches the way we want and it's about as difficult to program in as BrainFuck.
>>
i have some ununennium in my pockets... right here
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.