[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Economics actual science? They seem to have a term/acronym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: economics.jpg (107KB, 1300x817px) Image search: [Google]
economics.jpg
107KB, 1300x817px
Is Economics actual science?

They seem to have a term/acronym for everything, but it feels like they lack something important, like their whole foundation is based on subjective opinions.

I cant think of the right word to describe it, but it feels like when i read the textbook that it's just another person on the other end pontificating random ideas in a desperate attempt at legitimacy.

They have a nobel field though i guess.
>>
>>8369171
>Uncle is an accountant with a PhD and has run multiple successful businesses and got bored with making ass tonnes of money and became a professor
>Has both his CPA and CMA licenses
His viewpoint is 90% of universities will make Economics a social science where they teach little to dick about how economies actually run.
>>
>>8369175
>Accountant
>Knowing anything about economics
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>8369199
He actually knows something. He makes money anon.
>>
kant would probably say yes.
>>
I would say it's a proto-science.
Neoclassic school is precise in most of its ideas and in general they can be tested empirically.
But many of its ideas are wrong, as in, based on false postulates.

Some other schools of thought try to be more in touch with reality, but in doing so they become too much dependent on psychology, sociology, etc, that are not yet well structured too. In consequence, they are not very precise in its ideas (and some are hard to test empirically).

But eventually I guess it will have more or less precise ideas that can be confirmed empirically and in agreement with economic reality.

Of course, there’s also the problem of political influence, and many people that have ideas that are obviously wrong and refuse empirical test gain support because it helps one political view or another.
>>
finance/econ here

some of micro and macro hypotheses are way of, which makes most models which rely on them uselss. Can't be arsed to type them all

rational expectations
permanent income hypothesis
money velocity and quantity theory of money
classical unemployment theory
>>
File: melhusseinson.jpg (142KB, 634x867px) Image search: [Google]
melhusseinson.jpg
142KB, 634x867px
>Is X an Art or a Science?
>Is [semantic] part of [dialectic construct] A or B?

Yes.
>>
>>8369484

>The amount of money is a metric used to measure knowledge.

I'm an accounting major and took honors micro/macro economics.

It's a theory social science but when you apply the theory CORRECTLY then it more or less becomes an empirical science.

I guess it's all about context and the person applying the theory.

Ask any MBA asshole and they'll all tell you:

"Economics is NOT business."

I think they say that because they're just middle/upper management and an economists could do their job in 1/5th the time just by look at the numbers for the last few quarters.
>>
File: marx-bio.jpg (9KB, 195x274px) Image search: [Google]
marx-bio.jpg
9KB, 195x274px
>2016
>still not realizing capitalism is unstable and rotten to the core and the entire discipline of economics is just hand wavy bourgeois apologetics
>>
>>8369171
Isn't higher level economics heavily steeped in math and statistics? I know most intro courses focus mainly on "just trust the model" type of shit, but I was under the impression that the further you got into the more, for lack of a better word, "science-y" it became. I could be wrong though, I'm not an econ man.
>>
>>8370826
>let's add a bunch of stats on a bunch of axioms that may or may not be true surely that will make it science
>>
File: ok.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>8370826
pseudo-science deploys math and statistics all the time as a therapeutic activity to self assure themselves but the degree of mathiness doesn't matter if you can't make accurate predictions

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/08/philip-pilkington-divine-mathematics-neoclassical-economics-as-spiritual-meditation.html
>>
>>8370818
pretty much, but marxian economics is very real.
>>
>>8370835
Austrian school of thought were full of a bunch of pseudo-intellectual talent-less hacks, and Bohm-Bawerk got btfo by one of his former students who ended up becoming a Marxist. Modern economics as a whole is predominantly neoliberal nowadays.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.