[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was wondering if /sci/ has any interesting solutions to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: get.jpg (252KB, 651x367px) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
252KB, 651x367px
I was wondering if /sci/ has any interesting solutions to the Fermi paradox?

Here's some interesting ones I've thought of lately:

A) The process of abiogenesis is extremely rarer than assumed and life is so scarce in the universe that it will never contact other civilizations.

B) All civilizations eventually figure out that space travel is too impractical so they turn inwards and decide to live in simulated realities instead.

C) All civilizations reach a point where eventually they realize how futile existence is so they decide to collectively commit suicide.

D) They are already around us, but we don't have the capacity to perceive them much like an ant colony is completely oblivious to human civilization.

E) We are living in a simulated reality and whoever is running the simulation decided that it was only necessary to have life on this planet.

I'd love to hear more ideas around this.
>>
You didn't come up with A and the rest are pure cringe, especially C
>>
>>8368984
agreed
>>
>>8368956
>it simply takes longer than we thought to spread throughout the galaxy
>there is a point in a species history in which they are almost invariably wiped out due to self inflicted or external sources
>we are one of the first sentient species to emerge in our galaxy
>the galaxy is already under the control of an advanced civilization and we are simply a nature preserve
>>
>>8368987
>>we are one of the first sentient species to emerge in our galaxy

I was gonna list that one too, but forgot. Seems pretty reasonable.
>>
>>8368984
I never claimed I came up with these ideas, just that I've been thinking about them.
>>
>>8368987
>We are the first sentient species in our galaxy.
I doubt it, but its a nice thought.

>Takes longer to spread throughout the galaxy.
I can believe it.

>We are a nature preserve.
I can believe it.
>>
We're made of meat.

http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html
>>
>>8369040

A lot of things went right to allow humans to take over as the dominant species on this planet, had anything been different then even now there may still have been no technologically advanced species on earth, being the first may not be as unlikely as you think
>>
no i ate beef today! moo
>>
>>8369040
>I doubt it

Based on what? Muh size?
>>
Distances and time scales are too big for meaningful contact.
We are separated by thousand of light years and by hundreds of millions of years.

Civilization that possibly survived probably know of our existence but they are too advanced for us to communicate, as it would destroy our civilization's culture and progress(which is worthy in being unique).
>>
File: 42d.jpg (33KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
42d.jpg
33KB, 600x450px
>Civilization that possibly survived probably know of our existence but they are too advanced for us to communicate, as it would destroy our civilization's culture and progress(which is worthy in being unique).

Fucking retarded humans think aliens are all about serious technology progress and shit. We are the one who spreed the ayy lmao meme and we are laughing at you, that's all we do. You aren't unique, we know many more intelligent life form, but you guys are the most laughable. In our world, humans are a meme.

That said,

Ayylmao I fuck your wife and when she's going to tell you about it, you'll put her in an asylum
>>
The problem I have with the Fermi Paradox is that it assumes life will always evolve to the point where a species is intelligent enough to create and use technology. I think it's much more likely that life exists elsewhere but doesn't frequency evolve to human levels, than there's no other life.
>>
>>8370140
>intelligence
>being the only recorded species that degrades its own environment en-masse until it dies out
>>
>>8370149
But we haven't died out anon. Our intelligence makes us independent from biosphere more and more.
>>
>>8368956
>A
I'm a really big believer in this
>B
seems extremely likely, but humanity has the tendency to go against whatever the norm is, so when virtual reality becomes widespread there will probably be a big division between people that consider the real world to be real and that consider the virtual world to be real
>C
I doubt it, suicide will definitely increase in popularity the more organized and effortless our life becomes, but the whole world would never agree to something like that
>D
totally possible, but I'd like to think that if there was an organized government of intelligent life within reach of communicating with us they'd have considered us evolved enough to participate, and possibly even solicited military assistance for subduing the remaining disorderly countries, kind of like the US and UK often intervene in foreign affairs
>E
I don't really like the matrix idea but once again it's an unfalsifiable claim

here's one, we've been using technology that could be detectable from outside our planet for maybe 100 years max, and weaponry has already advanced to the point where our future hangs in the balance. so if we assume that other intelligent life have as much trouble getting along as we do, we could assume that on average there's a limited amount of time any society is capable of possessing advanced technology before it implodes and has to rebuild from scratch
>>
File: fucking downie cunt.jpg (4KB, 135x90px) Image search: [Google]
fucking downie cunt.jpg
4KB, 135x90px
>>8370161
if you actually think this you have completely lost any connection with nature
>the world garbage patch
>microplastics
>bioaccumulation of heavy metals
>climate change
>ocean acidification
no but, we doing fine f a m
independent from biosphere?
>brought up in a world where meat and vegetables are a packaged product wrapped in clingwrap
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.