[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the socratic method and the best way to learn it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (25KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 500x343px
What is the socratic method and the best way to learn it?
>>
>>8366242
What's a good place to search for answers on the internet?
>>
>>8366242

define what
>>
>>8366242
try talking out of your ass in most convoluted ways imaginable
see also : metaphysics
>>
>>8366247
kekked and checked
>>
Are you dumb? It'd literally just question-answer-question-answer.
>>
it's basically making pretend you don't understand what your opponent is trying to convey and repeatedly asking him to define his terms and then trapping him in a supposed contradiction because a degree of ambiguity is always built into human language and is inescapable and then saying you won because your opponent clearly doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

essentially babbys first argumentation tactic
>>
>>8367847
this
>"lmao dude you have to define your terms
>for example I was talking to a young mathematicians the other day and he very clearly defined what he meant by rational numbers, using naturals"
>completely glosses over the fact that he would have been himself completely unable to define naturals
>>
>>8367847
I can't seem to get socratic method to work on, say, some religious fanatics or Trump supporters. It can be frustrating when they've clearly contradicted themselves but don't care to acknowledge it. What might a skilled Socratean do in these situations??
>>
>>8368139
Nothing, because Socratic method is a stupid meme. Also it's easier to poke holes in ideologies than to support one, so putting yourself in the position of a pure critic is dishonest at best, idiotic at worst.
Really we all just settle in the end for the ideology in which the contradictions bother us the least. It's a matter of sensibility, not so much reason.
>>
>>8367821
Checked what?
>>
>>8368147
>Also it's easier to poke holes in ideologies than to support one, one, so putting yourself in the position of a pure critic is dishonest at best
More like the only honest position. You sound like someone who was recently BTFO hard and is mad about it desu.
>>
>>8367847
>tfw you realise that the socratic method literally proves all of philosophy is worth jack shit since language in itself is ambiguous and concepts impossible to define properly without resorting to other concepts
>>
>>8366242
Pretend you know jack shit and keep asking questions. Its a valid rhetorical strategy, but keep in mind it only works when both sides are committed to a dialogue and you have a lot of spare time. Getting to any meaningful conclusion after defining terms takes a long-ass time. Its not something you use with assholes on the internet.
>>
>>8368208
>ahah you think I'd risk having an opinion etc.
>>
I thought Socratic method was a teaching method, not a debate method.

We did this in class once. Everyone moved into a circle. Teacher sat outside the circle asking the group questions. He said the hardest part was asking the right questions to get the students to learn what you want them to with out directly telling them the answer. Socrates failed in that BTW, that's why he committed suicide.
>>
>>8366242
mindpalace, visualize. muscle memory. in that order, choose two
>>
just get a journal and mentally throw up on it. then study it. its like you'll be looking in a mirror, but the reflection is the cognitive self!
>>
>>8369762
oops wrong thing, this what i get for sitting on the stem board all night baka
>>
>>8368174
those dubs you dirty fuckin bitch
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.