[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematicians of /sci/ Please be honest guys How did you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: Perelman,_Grigori_(1966).jpg (14KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
Perelman,_Grigori_(1966).jpg
14KB, 400x293px
Mathematicians of /sci/
Please be honest guys
How did you guys get high level? Exercises? I feel like you guys are shown some path when you study it in university that we mere mortals don't know about. Share it with us.
>>
Would you guys decline a million dollars like Perelman did?
>>
>>8366270
Hell no
>>
>>8366270
Perelman is as close to autism as you can get while still not falling into the spectrum.
>>
Literally have to abandon the social aspects of your humanity to become truly good.
>>
>>8366307
If it were only that all NEETS would be math gods.
>>
Ask questions. Ask a lot of questions. Then, search for answers to your questions, whether it be by using the tools at your disposal or by constructing new tools. That's how I got so far into my field. I answer probably four or five good questions of my own every day. If I can't find an answer after a long time, I resort to asking others in the community, but pushing yourself to come up with your own answers is how you grow and learn to ask the right ones.
>>
>>8366170
>How did you guys get high level? Exercises?

Here is the simple truth.

Some people are smarter than others. There's no shame in it, some people are tall, some people have good eyesight, and some people are really smart.

If you are smart enough, it just comes to you.

If you are not that smart but still really bright, you might be able to get proficient, like you said.

Most people are not that smart. Just like most people are not movie stars.
>>
File: IMG_2057.jpg (32KB, 720x480px)
IMG_2057.jpg
32KB, 720x480px
>>8366313
See, a NEET might be socially inept, but they don't apply all of their socially inept time to doing math. To get good in math, you have to apply time. •LOTS OF TIME• and this is something a mere mortal, including a NEET, wouldn't do.
>>
>>8366318
Only real mathematician so far in the thread that I can detect. As for the rest of you high schoolers, a pro tip is that anyone who's actually succeeded in mathematics will say much about their iq or intelligence. Those qualities are a given at the start of your journey, but you won't achieve or sustain a successful career based on the low class notion of IQ. IQ is a convenient fiction to bolster ego when faced by the apparent absence of success. If you want to be good at math, observe the linked posts advice. Read lots of papers, I would say only the ones that interest you. Dont allowmthe narrow vision or laziness of your advisor to burden, but also if you have a good mentor, avail yourself of that opportunity. Just get into it, sci talks about autism a lot, then go full autistic, just focus like crazy and forget the bullshit real world, live in the higher world instead.
>>
>>8366170
Dunno man, concepts just seem to click with me the first time I see them, and a lot of things are intuitive to me that others seem to have to work much harder to understand. No trick to it.
>>
>>8366170
Just lose your soul and spend all of your time doing mathematics.
>>
Motivation is a huge factor. I like math but I wouldn't want to spend all my life studying it 24/7. Picture it like this: Math geniuses are like those gaming adicted guys that play 24/7. It's pretty obvious that you are gonna git gud if you spend that absurd amount of time.
>>
File: 1405090443714.jpg (24KB, 329x297px) Image search: [Google]
1405090443714.jpg
24KB, 329x297px
>>8366170
>/sci/
>high level
>>
>>8366396
you gotta love knowledge so much, that you'll waste your life chasing it, who needs pussy, been there and done that, boring, i like guys now
>>
Develop the ability to know what properties and theorems are needed to generate your solution/proof. If you aren't sure start trying everything relevant, then try some things that aren't but still fit. Hit your head against the wall enough and you'll start to get an intuition into what path to take. If you can't find any leads don't be afraid to step away and come back to it.

Reading the texts also helps a lot, later text will often be shorter but denser, reread every part, draw diagrams, copy, attempt write problems, everything you can do to gain as much intuition with that abstract concept and all of its relations to other concepts. This will give the intuition you've developed material to source from.
>>
>>8366288
So he's a limit point of autism?
>>
>>8367316
Yes, this also implies the spectrum i an open set.
>>
>>8366170
Dunno man. There are good people that made me like that and I don't even know how and what principles did they use. Sad but true, most geniuses are like that -- some great people just selflessly worked on them and yet they often don't recognize what a great work was done on them, nor they understand how to reproduce that. That's an honest answer, anon.
>>
A relative ease with manipulating definitions (that helps understand the basics), and hard work to get a good grasp on the actual content. I also think it is important to think about math as a whole, in addition to solving problems (which is what people here have in mind when they tell you to "git gud"), in order to gain perspective.
Take time after each semester (or each book you read, if you are learning on your own) to understand how everything fits together, what you find interesting and important about what you have learned.
Ask yourself what you have learned that can answer questions that you could have asked before: for example, finding the cylinders with maximum volume for a fixed area is a question that you could have asked before learning calculus, but that is much easier to answer using calculus.
The idea being that, in a year or two, when you have forgotten the details of the actual proofs of what you have learned (and, trust me, it will happen), you will remember these interesting results that you thought hard about, and they might turn out to be reliable tools.
Also ask yourself why you learned things in the order you did and whether you could have done it differently, try to see how it might go, what adjustments would need to be made to the proofs, etc.
Discuss these things with other people (one of the perks of being in a university/lab is that it makes this much easier) and see how you can learn from one another.
>>
>>8366170
1. be smart
2. do a shit ton of proofs, work on math erryday until you get it
>>
>>8367316
>>8367323
limit points can exist in open sets
You guys should say he resides in the boundary of the open set of autistic people.
>>
>>8366170
Hard work beats talent when talent is not working hard
>>
>>8367417
This is a great post. I agree on all the points you made.
>>
As long as you're not a low IQ brainlet

life boils down to how much time you're willing to put into something.
>>
>>8367566
Limit points can exist in any set. But what's relevant is whether or not it is a member of the spectrum set.
What I'm trying to say is that if there exists a member of the spectrum's complement
such that that no other member of the complement is "closer" to the spectrum...
then that complement must be closed by the definition of an open set.
By DeMorgans we know IFF a set is open its complement is closed.
So since the complement is closed, the spectrum must be open.
>>
>>8367668
This is a schizophrenic poster, mods. Ban him.
>>
>>8366170
undergrad here.
Just go to your lectures bro
>>
>>8366170
iq of 170. did some maths, physics. its all the same. just variables of variables within the universe variable.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.