[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEACHER FUCKUPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (16KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 443x332px
>intro physics class
>going through planetary motion
>prof is playing a random slideshow provided to him
>he is dumb as fuck Bengali who constantly fucks up basic shit
>slideshow comes to Ptolemy and his epicycles, along with diagrams showing how ridiculous the whole system is
>prof starts telling everyone that this is how orbit actually works, students nodding along with no clue
>I finally have to say that this is all garbage, can we please click to the next slide
>next slide immediately details Copernicus and heliocentrism
>prof goes "oh"

What're your stories, /sci/?
>>
>>8346959
>things that never happened
>>
>Be in the middle of a test
>realize there's this problem about something we barely covered in class
>try to solve it with what we learned in class
>look for a couple of values in a table
>that variable isn't even related to this problem
>See my friends are stuck in the same problem
>Go to teacher's desk and ask him wtf is wrong with this
>He laughs and just kind of stares at me
>Ask him why this doesn't make much sense
>"I guess I thaught you something that was not right"
>>
>>8346972
Literally happened 30 minutes ago.

When you go to an underfunded urban community college with 80% minorities, you see some shit man
>>
>>8346988
sounds like you are the fuckup
>>
>>8347000
Why so?
>>
>>8346973
He better have thrown out that problem then
>>
>>8346973
I don't know why, but I read this in my unit operation's professor's Indian accent.
>>
>>8346973
I've always wondered /sci/'s opinion on this. Is it ethical to put things in tests that weren't explicitly taught?
>>
>>8347005
You ended up in the same college as retarded people.
>>
>>8347068
If the question is testing an extension of knowledge that was explicitly taught and any required material (formulae, constants etc.) is readily available, sure. Though these are the kinds of questions that should be kept to a minimum and left for the end of the exam paper.
>>
>>8347069
And I'm set to graduate after 1.5 years with a 4.0 after saving thousands, and a transfer already confirmed to a top 10 business school. I'm doing ok, thanks
>>
>>8347068
As long as all the material needed to do it is available in the test.

It seems engineers love doing that shit. The worst was in a fluid dynamics test we once got a problem about supersonic flow (supersonic flow was not even covered in the class), the guy included a 15 page chapter from some textbook in the back of the exam and said to use that to solve the problem.

I actualy liked that, it tests your ability to quickly grog something instead of memorization.
>>
>>8347107
Damn, that sounds pretty insane. I feel like that would stress me the fuck out trying to process all of that in the middle of a test
>>
>>8347107
It would be really interesting to have a whole test like that in which the subject and reading material is provided then and there only.
>>
>>8347090
>business school
wew lad
>>
>>8346959
m8, the earth is the center of the universe. It has been proven countless of times, yet physics can't refute it without inventing theories which cannot be proved.
>>
>>8347090
>business school
I guess you really do fit right in at a college for retarded people.
>>
>>8347068
In what sort of post-high school education do you only get direct class application exams?
>>
>first year chemistry
>somehow we have an introduction to qm
>"so here you square the wavefunction"
>"professor, you mean taking the complex conjugate?"
>"no, you square it"
>>
>>8347107
I liked your misuse of grog instead of grok. It was humorous to imagine you drinking the knowledge.
>>
>>8348042
Don't like making money anon?
>>
>>8347068
I believe it is okay to ask something that your students can figure out. On the other hand it's not okay to briefly discuss a subject, completely fuck up on the explanation and then forget about it until you decide to put it on the test. I mean, I know students should review on their own and identify any discrepancies between what was taught in class and what another source tells you.
>>
>>8348049
You were wrong btw
>>
>>8348049
>learning fetus-tier quantum mechanics in intro chemistry class
>"lel don't get freaked out by that trident-looking symbol... it involves a lot of ultra-complex math XDD"
>>
>>8346959
It is incredibly demoralizing being in a mid-tier school where nearly all of your professors have many small holes in their knowledge. Going to lectures feels pointless because the professors always make at least one little statement during lecture that is completely false. I can't trust my professors because they don't act like they are experts in their field. They seem to have so little enthusiasm that they can't even get the basics right.
>>
>doing Gauss on a 4x4 matrix
>lecturer makes a mistake on one entry
>correct him
>he even had the correct result on the paper in his hand
what a fucking idiot
>>
>>8348499
It's just a board mistake anon, they're really easy to make when lecturing
>>
>>8348521
Gau[math]\beta[/math] didnt make mistakes faggot
>>
>>8348452
>"dude QM is very complex lmao that's why you'll only study it much later in your academic career, it has very complex stuff like tensor products lmao"
>turns out it's fucking basic linalg
>"no but you see QFT is where the math gets really advanced"
>turns out it's just fucking complex analysis, a.k.a. "Cauchy's theorem and its friends"
>>
File: 1405128022529s.jpg (49KB, 640x739px) Image search: [Google]
1405128022529s.jpg
49KB, 640x739px
>>8346959
>cryptograph class
>talks about random number generators
>writes a binary sequence on the board
>1111000011110000
>"this is not random because it's predictable"
>writes a few 1s and zeros after in arbitrary order
>"this is random because I just made it up in my head"
>later, get to RSA and prime factorization problem
>clearly doesn't understand how the latter relates to the former
>claims one of the primes is basically used as a public key
I left the next break and never came back
>>
>in class, proving Goursat integral lemma in complex analysis
>lecturer writes triangles everywhere
>starting to look like 22 jump street "4" scene with triangles
>6 boards completely filled with triangles
>messes up somewhere and doesnt finish proof
>"fuck it, let's move on"
>>
>>8348526
>Gowb

Who?
>>
>Grad school thermo
>Professor is a nice guy but terrible at explaining concepts to people that don't already understand them
>Literally only reason I'm following what he's doing is because I had two thermo classes previously
>"I see what you did there but I only understand it in terms of knowledge I happen to have but you have not mentioned at all" kind of class
>Professor also mixes up words and symbols all the time (ie reversible and irreversible, errors in copying math equations from his notes to the board) leading to tons of confusion
>Me and this other dude basically take it on ourselves to ask a shit load of questions about the material so the class can actually understand it
>>
>>8348499
I've had lecturers who do that shit on purpose to check whether people are actually paying attention or just blindly copying everything the lecturer writes.
>>
>be in advanced grad class for thermo
>lecturer reviews all the first year undergrad shit
>everybody should know this at this point so he just kinda skims through the material
>we start getting into the new stuff, new correction terms etc
>some autist in the front row keeps asking questions about every stupid shit, the class just sighs
>they guy is fucking weird, sometimes he puts on a fedora and changes his accent between questions
>>
>>8348045
In what sort of undergrad work do you get taught anything that applies anywhere else?
>>
>>8348624
Any proper math class?
Like, do you only get proofs in exams that you've already done in class? The fuck?
>>
>>8348173
Better be majoring in Finance or Actuarial Science, because literally every other business degree is trash.
>>
>>8348659
>literally every business degree is trash
ftfy
>>
File: 1344946992729.png (100KB, 500x585px) Image search: [Google]
1344946992729.png
100KB, 500x585px
>>8346959
>ridiculous the whole system is

There's nothing ridiculous about it, your latter physics courses are going to heavily use Fourier transforms.
>>
>>8348485
That doesn't sound like a mid-tier school, that sounds like a straight-up shit-tier school. Or maybe it counts as mid-tier if you include devry and McDonalds hamburger university on the list.
>>
>>8348705
Not him, but it's weird man, sometimes even at the best institutions you get some TA or even teacher who's just not... very good at it.
Mostly it's people who devote most of their time to research. I don't know if they went through the system undetected, or if it's just that, well, you can do some ok research with bad foundations if you work hard enough maybe. It's prevalent in very applied fields. I think the worst I had was a class of electric materials science. The TA could barely do the basic calculations for pic related while it was something all of us in the class had learned years ago. And then the teacher in another class tried to do it on the blackboard too and struggled a good 10 minutes with it.
>>
>>8348671
t. buttmad socially inept engineer
>>
>>8348842
My bet is that they just don't prepare for lectures very well. A good 1 hour lecture probably takes 3-4 hours of prep time for someone pretty well versed on the subject, but not terribly used to or passionate about teaching. There really is difference between being able to do something on paper and being able to do something on the board for students
>>
My first year chem TA was actually a bonobo. Pretty much every lab would give you enough information to where you could work out what the expected result would be. My partner and I would do some quick math, slightly modify our answers to make them appear legitimate, and go home before most were halfway finished with the experiment. It's quite possible he knew and just didn't care, but it took him a long time to do extraordinarily simple tasks.
>>
>>8346959
>High school play/drama/theater thing
>Happens at the end of every year
>I voulenteer for set up because it's all day and I don't have to be in my classes while i'm doing this.
>Making paper mache props, setting up lights, etc
>Have friend, we talk and joke
>We are making giant hats with batons through them as props (cardboard)
>He finishes his before I do, and goes off to get snacks.
>Teacher comes over and sees his hat, it's backwards (baton going wrong way)
>Teacher gets pissed off, says "Why did he make this backwards? Is Anon just dyslexic and I don't know it?"
>I reply with a straight face: "Actually, Anon IS dyslexic."
>Extreme embarrassment: "Well, now I know that" and he walks off.
>>
>>8351634
What is baton? I'm imagining something police uses to smack down hippies.
>>
>>8347090
you're not getting into HAAS brainlet.
>>
>>8348606
tbf lots of teachers use that as an excuse to cover themselves when they fuck up, but I knew a highschool history teacher who did a 20 min bit about how Switzerland had a navy with a submarine in the Léman lake and the kids wrote it all down. Dude was pretty legendary desu.
>>
File: smug bonobo.jpg (49KB, 506x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug bonobo.jpg
49KB, 506x600px
>>8350298
I'm just amazed a bonobo can teach college-level chemistry, honestly.
>>
>>8348572
'ß' is the sharp 's' in german.
It is sometimes replaced with 'ss' for convenience and that's considered equivalent, so Gauß becomes Gauss.
For some reason he replaced it with a 'β' (Beta) symbol.
>>
>>8348526
It's not a beta
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.