[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A proof for infinite sets that contain more elements than others?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: cleverruse.jpg (21KB, 164x217px) Image search: [Google]
cleverruse.jpg
21KB, 164x217px
So, /sci/, I want you guys to consider this.
1. There exists sets X and Y
2. There exists a number x, x is an element of X{R|1<x<2}
4. There exists a number y, y is an element of Y and is an element of {R|1<=y<=2}
5. X is a subset of Y
6. ∴X implies Y AND x implies y
7. ∴ 1 and 2X,1 and 2 Y
8. 1 and 2 are NOT an element of X, and ARE an element of Y AND 1 and 2 are elements of Z
10. Set Y contains exactly two more elements than set X.
11. ∴Y>X
What do you think, /sci/? Is it proof of different levels of infinity, or that infinity plus two is not infinity? Am I retarded? Could my proof be revised? Am I doing something wrong? I talked about this with my calculus prof. Also, how do I do this using the LaTeX? If anyone could do that, that'd be nice. But, my reasoning in plain words:
>Think of two sets
>In the first set, are all real numbers greater than 1, less than 2.
>In the second, are all real numbers from 1 to two.
>The second set has every element that A has.
>The second set has two more elements, 1 and 2.
>Therefore the second set has more elements.
>>
>A proof for infinite sets that contain more elements than others?
[math]\mathbb{N}\subsetneq \mathbb{N}\cup\{\mbox{banana}\}[/math].
>>
File: banana.png (2KB, 142x27px) Image search: [Google]
banana.png
2KB, 142x27px
>>8346328
Fuck off latex piece of shit. This worked fine in the preview.
>>
>>8346334
banana
>>
>>8346334
try switching browsers; it doesn't seem to work on safari
>>
huh
>>
>>8346311
This is not how levels of infinity are defined. If you think about it, it's impossible to compare two disjoint sets this way. Is [0, 1] the same size as [2, 3]? What about [0, 1] and [2, 4]? It's impossible to tell with your approach. This is why we define it using bijections: two sets are the same size iff there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two. There actually is a one-to-one correspondence between your two sets (even though it can't be written down explicitly), so we say they are the same size.
>>
>>8346867
thanks, for your input, anon.
Also, I think [0,1] is the same size as [2,3].
[0,1] is smaller than [2,4], but it only makes sense to compare them when talking about transfinites.
>>
Definition of cardinality of sets defined to serve a purpose. In this sense all whole numbers and all real numbers are "equally big". But the thing is you cannot write a bijection from Z to N which preserves "distance".
>>
File: 936.jpg (31KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
936.jpg
31KB, 320x288px
>>8348309
>you cannot write a bijection from Z to N
>>
>>8348313
We can write A LOT of bijections actually.
For example: 0 goes to 0, 1 goes to -1, 2 goes to 1, 3 goes to -2, 4 goes to 2 and so on.
Check out Hilbert's Hotel and other new concepts which will come up when reading about Hilbert's Hotel.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.