[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is depression so common nowadays? Pic unrelated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Why is depression so common nowadays?

Pic unrelated
>>
File: image.jpg (330KB, 1161x1744px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
330KB, 1161x1744px
People have nothing else to occupy their minds with, since people's lives are so damn comfy.
People don't have time to be depressed if every day they're fighting just to survive
>>
(((capitalism)))

real depression cases always end up with a trip to the psych ward and are treat with electro shock therapy or transcranial magnetic stimulation
>>
>>8345365
Here that you pussies? If you don't need ECT you're just bitchin.

BTW The TMS research for depression is inconclusive.
>>
>>8345346
bored attention whores, nothing else.
>>
>>8345454
pcps handing out antidepressants to every other post menopausal women and somewhat sad teenager shouldn't be taken as an indicator that people are depressed at a sky high never before seen in human history frequency.
>>
>nowadays

The internet makes it easier to broadcast things outwards. More people aren't more depressed, more people are just being open about it, and you have to take into consideration just how small your window is. When you say "so common" do you actually mean globally found, or just online where the demographic is made up by westerners?

This applies to nearly every "why is everyone x nowadays?" complaint you can find being made.
>>
>>8345346
It's not more common, in the past people only knew about others with depression when they were the ones having breakdowns, now the internet and less stigma about mental illness means people are more open about it and it seems more common because people can discuss every little thing about their life, including mental illness
>>
>>8345346
>tfw no gf
>tfw crippling depression
>>
>tfw no motivation to do anything

it sucks, my grades are slipping and I have no meaningful relationships, and I'm at that point where I don't care anymore.
>>
(((they))) will use the same exact excuse they use for autism and tell you

>depression isn't anymore common today than it ever was, it's just diagnosed more often because of better screening :^)

Which is complete and utter bullshit of course
>>
>>8345346
My view is that: people work too much yet this work is useless for them and they have no time to figure out or appreciate anything. Seriously if you have at least 8 hours a day that are not completely yours in every sense (transport included) then you're fucked, because a psychologically healthy man has to have 12 hours for sleep+relax, so you have only 4 hours left for your personal development, free communication or having fun. Just 4 hours a day is a total shit. Especially when your work is fucked enough to exhaust you and you have to spend these 4 hours just on trying to have a quick-as-fuck relief.

That being said it would be strange if things would go the other way.
>>
My pet theory is this >>8345355

I read that during WWII while Britain was being bombed the levels of depression and anxiety fell to extremely low levels. Having a directed purpose to rebuild your neighborhood and find enough food for the next few weeks eliminates people's neurotic tendencies.

It's only when we're comfortable, have no immediate struggle for survival and direct purpose is when people have enough time to reflect times a million and become depressed, see: modern western countries.

In this way the more nihilistic the world becomes the more progress the world is making.
>>
YOU DON'T HAVE DEPRESSION

YOU'RE HAVING FUN

HAVE FUN, HAPPY FELLOW!
>>
I work at a psychologist's office doing PR for his second company. My theory would be isolation of people. Biologically we are social animals, we are built on an instinctual level to share and work together from child rearing to hunting/building. In today's society we impose an artificial value on individuality, bearing people that live with their parents and such, but historically and still in many European countries families live together for generations and tend to have lower levels of depression.

On top of all this, the only people that can reality diagnose depression accurately are psychologists but we let MDs and psychiatrists (who in my experience don't know shit about behavior) diagnose it and then prescribe antidepressants for which they get a bonus for every prescription.

Most of the time a diet change, a social change, and exercise can help.

On the subject of postpartum depression... Jesus... No one warns women that their bodies will be so flooded with happy drugs that after they give birth, they go through withdrawals. I mean fuck, if you have problems before pregnancy, just you wait for THAT withdrawal.
>>
>>8345857
>psychologist
>knowing science
I would rather be diagnosed by a psychiatrists than some pseudoscientific hack.
>>
>>8345346
its not. people mistake experiencing the full range of human emotions as a disease.
>>
>>8345864
Trust me, the number of people misdiagnosed by psychiatrists and MDs is criminal... A good psychologist is worth their weight in gold, although there are many hacks in the field.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.