[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finite Field Extension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1472220798166.jpg (104KB, 608x581px) Image search: [Google]
1472220798166.jpg
104KB, 608x581px
Hi /sci/. Math hobbyist here.

For simple extensions of Q like [math]\sqrt{N}[/math] I know how to determine the matrix representation of multiplication by an element in the new field. But if I have a more complicated expression like [eqn]\sqrt{a+\sqrt{b}}[/eqn] which is a root of [eqn]x^8 -2(a^2+b)x^4 + (a^2-b)^2[/eqn] how do I find my basis vectors? Obviously I need 8 of them since the resulting polynomial is of degree 8.

Also is there a good web reference for this kind of thing? Representation theory / finite field extension stuff?

Thanks.
>>
File: 1424817440313.jpg (628KB, 1535x2303px) Image search: [Google]
1424817440313.jpg
628KB, 1535x2303px
>Thanks.

You're welcome.
>>
>>8345188
1,x,x^2,x^3,....,x^7.
>>
>>8345188
You should remember that your field is just
Q[x]/(x^8-2(a^2+b)x^4+(a^2-b)^2)
And the basis is just >>8345415
Since x^8=2(a^2+b)x^4-(a^2-b)^2 you can reduce any x^n with n>7 to some polynomial of degree 7 or less. And this is how you get your multiplication matrix for >>8345415.

Just as easy as this. I think it should be in any book with Galois theory
>>
>>8345470
>Since x^8=2(a^2+b)x^4-(a^2-b)^2 you can reduce any x^n with n>7 to some polynomial of degree 7 or less.
>>8345415
Thanks guys, this makes sense.

Given that I found a polynomial which has this term as a zero, is there some way I can know that this is the right polynomial? Some way I can be sure that there isn't some sneaky 7th order polynomial for this term?

I got it by squaring, subtracting, etc, until I got zero, and then just substituted the variable x in the steps I took. Is this a sound way to always generate the proper order of a term so I know how to extend my base field?
>>
>>8345654
>Given that I found a polynomial which has this term as a zero
Which term?
>>
ITT: Brainlets. I'm on phone so can' be bothered to write much, but there is a 4 degree polynomial which has that as a root. But that doesn't have to be minimal ploynomial, e.g. take a=1 and b=9, in which case it's Q, or a=2 and b=9, in which case it generates extension of degree 2.
>>
>>8345681
Whichever.

For instance, if I take a term like [math]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/math] I know in reality I need the basis vectors [math]1,~ \sqrt{2},~ \sqrt{3},~ \sqrt{6}[/math], but if I take
[eqn]x=\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/eqn]
then I end up with a polynomial like
[eqn]x^4-10x^2+1[/eqn]
and simply taking powers of [math]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/math] doesn't seem to yield the right basis vectors.

Well, root 2 plus root 3 is a straightforward extension so this seems like a lot of busywork, but when I have a slightly more complicated expression such as [math]\sqrt{a+\sqrt{b}}[/math] then how do I know what the right extension field is?
>>
>>8345883
Yep, he's right, OP. x^8 - 2(a^2+b)x^4+(a^2-b)^2 = (x^4-(a^2+b))^2 obviously, lol. So it's not a minimal polynomial since it's not irreducible in Q[x]. But neither x was a root of this polynomial (check it for a=2, b=1). x is a root of (x^2-a)^2-b.

So >>8345470 isn't right at all too.
Your field is Q[x]/((x^4-a)^2-b) but only if (x^2-a)^2-b is irreducible in Q[x].
>>
>>8345997
*your field is Q[x]/((x^2-a)^2-b)
>>
>>8345188
how do you type math stuff like that on 4chan
>>
>>8345920
What? You do something really strange.
If you have x and you have to figure out your minimal polynomial you can consider greater and greater powers of x until they become linearly dependent in Q which gives you an exact minimal polynomial for x (non-trivial linear combination of powers of x with coefficients in Q that is zero).

For example, if you have x=sqrt(2)+sqrt(3), you consider:
x^0 = 1
x^1 = sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)
x^2 = 5+2sqrt(6)
x^3 = 5sqrt(2)+4sqrt(3)+5sqrt(3)+6sqrt(2)=11sqrt(2)+9sqrt(3)
they're still linearly independent, but:
x^4=25+20sqrt(6)+24=49+20sqrt(6)
here you have x^4=x^2*10-1. This gives you minimal polynomial for sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)
which is x^4-x^2*10+1.
>>
>>8346044
Oh, I see. I may be taking it too far by not considering linear combinations of powers already found. Thank you, this part is very clear now.

In this root2/root3 example, I already know my basis vectors for representing arithmetic by matrices needs 1, root2, root3, and root6. Is there some way I can easily determine this from the work you've just showed which would translate to an example like [math]\sqrt{3+\sqrt{7}}[/math] or something not obvious by inspection? Do I just look at all the terms generated during this polynomial generation and sort of ignore coefficients from my base field to see what elements are required?
>>
>>8346083
In the x=sqrt(3+sqrt(7)) case it's obvious because you clearly see how to get a rational number out of multiplication and addiction of x powers. x^2=3+sqrt(7), (x^2-3)^2=7 and that's it. You just have to check that (x^2-3)^2-7 is irreducible.
>>
It seems to me that even if your polynomial F has a root, or is otherwise reducible, you can still define multiplication modulo F and represent it as a linear mapping. You won't get a field because you will have a zero divisor, but the machinery will still work.

In OP's case, take the basis 1,x,...,x^7, then there is a 8x8x8 constant tensor A such that \sum_i \sum_j p_i A_{ijk} q_j represents multiplication of the vectors (p_i) and (q_j) (coefficients of the polynomials).

Or you could take A as a 8x16 matrix operating on the 16x1 concatenation of p and q.
>>
>>8345997
I don't think that's right. OP's got 2(a^2+b) and (a^2-b)^2, the squared term has a minus in it.

Check the discriminant when you set y=x^4. It's 16 a^2 b, so all you need to factor it is that b be a square.
>>
>>8346230
Ah, yes, I see, but anyway it's not a minimal polynomial
>>
>>8346240
It always factors?
>>
>>8346281
Yes, because there's a minimal polynomial for x=sqrt(a+sqrt(b)) of degree 4 (it is (x^2-a)^2-b) and minimal polynomial has to divide any polynomial with a root x.
>>
>>8346314
*4 or less
>>
So let's see if you understood this OP (and other people having trouble with this in here), what's the degree of field Q(sqrt(9+sqrt(80))) over Q?
>>
>>8346801
Well I get [eqn](x^2-9)^2-1280[/eqn] so it's degree four, and I guess my basis vectors are [math]1,~ \sqrt{5},~ \sqrt{9+16\sqrt{5}},~ and~ \sqrt{45+80\sqrt{5}}[/math].
>>
You mean (x^2-9)^2-80? That polynomial indeed has sqrt(9+sqrt(80)) as a root, but to prove that it's minimal polynomial, you have to prove it's irreducible. (Hint: it's not)
>>
>>8346851
Yes, algebra mistake. Never do math before your first cup of coffee. Then the polynomial would be [math]x^4-18x^2+1=0[/math]. If this had a rational root it would have to be 1, but 1 is not a root, so this seems irreducible to me.

If I understand, this would make the basis vectors [math]1,~ \sqrt{5},~ \sqrt{9+4\sqrt{5}},~ \sqrt{45+20\sqrt{5}}[/math] as these are all the terms not in Q that I encountered in my expansion from the term to the polynomial.
>>
>>8346882
A polynomial not having rational roots does not mean it's irreducible over rational numbers. For example, the polynomial x^4-2x^2-3 has no rational roots, and yet it factors as (x^2+1)(x^2-3).

So no, that's not a basis. To give you a hint why not, I'm going to show that that third element in your "basis" is a linear combination of the first two. We claim that a+bsqrt(5) = sqrt(9+4sqrt(5)) for some rational numbers a and b, i.e. (a+bsqrt(5))^2=9+4sqrt(5). Multipliying the left hand side out we get

(a^2+5b^2)+2absqrt(5)=9+4sqrt(5), so
a^2+5b^2=9
2ab=4, and we can immediately notice that a=2, b=1 solves this equation. That means that
(2+sqrt(5))^2=9+4sqrt(5), i.e. 2+sqrt(5)=sqrt(9+4sqrt(5)).

Now you might want to try the analogous procedure for sqrt(9+sqrt(80)).
>>
>>8346910
Unexpected!

But 9+4root5 is 9+root80 so you did my work for me. This is very interesting.

So if I suppose this fourth order factors into quadratics, then [math](x^2+ax+b)(x^2+cx+d) = x^4+(a+c)x^3+(b+d+ac)x^2+(bc+ad)x+bd[/math] and we have that a+c=0, b+d+ac=18, bc+ad=0, and b*d=1. Since c=-a, the second condition is b+d-a^2=18, and the third is a(d-b)=0, so either a is zero or b=d. Suppose b=d, 2b - a^2 = 18 has -1, 4 as a solution.

So [math]x^4-18x^2+1 = (x^2+4x-1)(x^2-4x-1)[/math] which are definitely irreducible quadratics. This suggests the extension field I need is [math]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{5})[/math].
>>
>>8346974
And if I shift those polynomials by 2 (respectively -2) then they show that they're both just [math]x^2-5[/math].
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.