[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Undergraduate Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Utoronto_coa.svg.png (170KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Utoronto_coa.svg.png
170KB, 1024x1024px
Hey guys, I'm in a "supposed" hard level math class (MAT137) but I've been studying computation mostly whereas this course is mostly proof/theorem focused.

Ex. Find the mistake in the following reasoning, then state and prove a corrected version:

Claim. The set of solutions to the inequality x2 > 2x is the interval (2,∞). Proof. When x = 0, then the inequality is false, since both sides are equal to 0. Thus we may assume that x 6= 0. Then we can divide both sides of the inequality by x (since x 6= 0). This gives x > 2, which is the same as x ∈ (2,∞).

If any of you /sci/geeks want to throw a fork my way and recommend me tips or books that will help develop skills in proof/theory, that'd be awesome.

Thanks.
>>
>>8344914
Best is Mathematical Proofs by Chartrand
>>
>>8344914
That problem is shit because not even the solution is right.

I thought the point was that they prove the right solution but with a broken argument.

Shit problem. Here the trivial solution: The mistake is the answer itself, and everything that preceded it because it yielded a wrong answer.

Tell that to the cuck you have for a math teacher god fucking damn. Such a stupid problem.
>>
>>8344987
dont be an autist, the error in the proof is clear. you need to find the error that yielded the wrong solution.

>>8344914
don't called it a supposed hard level math class, it's clearly an introduction to college math
if you want to be an undergrad in math, a great book to read is Analysis I by Terence Tao. Not only is it an easy-ish, slow analysis book, it includes a lot of important , enlightening topics in the first chapters like the construction of number systems, the axiom of choice, etc etc. (Analysis is a core first class in mathematics)
>>
>>8344994
>you need to find the error that yielded the wrong solution.

But that is so easy and retarded because all you have to do is backtrack the steps starting from the solution.

You look for a wrong proof of the riemann hypothesis and try to see what mistake they did.

You'll be there for ages because that is an actual problem.

Get a better book and a better professor god damn. They make your life way too easy.
>>
>>8344987
Don't really want an argument, what you say is fine but try sounding less angry.

>>8344994
Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely going to look into it.

>>8345006
Not going to disagree on the fact that they're making math classes
>way too easy
but I just genuinely want just tips and help for picking it(math overall) up.

I just want to point out to any anon that I'm in my first week of my class so we're basically reviewing so try not to flame me for "potentially piss-easy questions"
>>
For those that want to take a closer look at the homework;

>http://imgur.com/a/mO3nI
>>
>>8345044

woah, it's really fucking simple, there's nothing tricky here, I hope you're not facing any trouble with that
>>
>>8344914
>>8345044
>hard level math class
top fucking kek
>>
I used Eccles which was good but gave far more preparation for Algebra than Analysis. There are a lot of good and inexpensive books for intro to higher maths. Other good books I'm aware of are How to Prove It, Book of Proof, and there are a whole bunch published by Springer.
>>
>>8344976
>Mathematical Proofs by Chartrand
Cannot recommend enough, if you want "mathematical maturity." read that book. It's the most important book I ever read and let me transition to reading big boy math books. I never had exposure to proofs growing up and am a bit of a late bloomer in math so to speak.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.