[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I calculate odds? I've never been good at this despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: yugioh.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
yugioh.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
How do I calculate odds? I've never been good at this despite being naturally gifted at proportions.

I'm trying to come up with a way to determine the likelihood of drawing any specific combination of cards in a 40 card deck.
>>
>>8343696
Get to work

Introduction to Mathematical Statistics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://math1.snru.ac.th/UserFiles/File/math1%40snru/2556/HOGG%3B%2520CRAIG%2520-%2520Introduction%2520to%2520Mathematical%2520Statistics%2520(4th%2520Edition)(1).pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjY26T6543PAhWr5IMKHdSNDVkQFggsMAI&usg=AFQjCNHfLKb7bcq8ZhvN-p6tq0sKk1s07A&sig2=mcgFpKVh7JgTlFbSjKqlsg
>>
>>8343696

Here you go.

http://www.ime.usp.br/~walterfm/cursos/mac5796/DoctrineOfChances.pdf

First line:

>The probability of an event is greater or less, according to the number of chances by which it may happen, compared with the whole number of chances by which it may either happen or fail.
>>
Thanks broskis.
>>
>>8343696
>naturally gifted at proportions
>I have a penis and I pee out of that penis
>>
>>8343696
If you believe in the heart of cards it is 100%
>>
Play magic
>>
How many outcomes are there for something? Let's say 9

How many of those outcomes are useful / wanted? Let's say 3

Odds are 3/9

Congrats
>>
>>8344409
for your example

there are 40 cards
and the likelihood of drawing 1 card is therefore 1/40

however you want a combination of cards

well, how many combinations are there? there are 40*40 combinations of 2 cards

and you want 1 combination... but it's actually 2 combinations (because drawing A-B is the same as drawing B-A)

so your odds are 2/(40*40)
>>
>>8344410

You wouldn't be putting the first card back before drawing the second card would you? If you don't put it back (and I don't think you would normally), then you can either look at it as odds for one particular card chosen for two separate events:

a) 1/40
b) 1/39

1/40 * 1/39 = 0.064%

Or as odds for one combination event:

1/(40*39) = 0.064%
>>
File: 1470978290880.jpg (37KB, 500x692px) Image search: [Google]
1470978290880.jpg
37KB, 500x692px
>>8343696
Why are they called odds and not evens?
>>
>naturally gifted at proportions

lol what the fuck does that mean?
you're "naturally gifted" at fractions? At multiplcation and division?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.