[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question and couldn't find any answer to it anywhere.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: TzzFO.jpg (275KB, 1164x3700px) Image search: [Google]
TzzFO.jpg
275KB, 1164x3700px
I have a question and couldn't find any answer to it anywhere.

How do you determine the speed which with you will sink under water if you tie yourself to a heavy object.

The reason behind this question is an argument I had with a friend. He suggested that if you tie yourself to a 100kg block of lead and threw yourself into the ocean you would still drown, while I said the pressure would kill you before the lack of oxygen would.

Any help with that?
>>
depends on the density of the 100kg block
>>
>>8336691
Most people have a hard time staying more than a minute under water, and water pressure would be forcing their lungs to empty out a bit before they got crushed. They'd drown.

Now, a trained freediver, they can go for 3 or 4 minutes, and they go pretty damn near deep as the human body can tolerate. They'd get crushed.
>>
>>8336711
It's lead, mister dubs.
>>
>>8336711
>100kg block of lead
Lead is 11340 kg/m3
>>
>>8336711
fug sorry op, you specified lead.
>>
>>8336715

But you don't die after 3-4 Minutes under water, do you? You can survive up to 10 Minutes without air.
>>
>>8336725
Sorry, I was distracted when typing that. Unconscious after 3-4 minutes, and at that point you are sucking in a lungful of water most like.

At that point, since you are still descending, you are dead, just some bits haven't stopped moving, really.

Maybe should define 'dead' here...
>>
>>8336733

So, how deep would one be after say 4 minutes?

I can't find a formula for sinking speed for the love of it.
>>
>>8336736
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Terminal-Velocity

I'd post the actual equation here, but no fucking idea how to do that shit yet.
>>
>>8336736
It's not just the density of the lead. A large person weighs about 100kg, too. So the thing that's sinking is roughly half human and half lead. You would need to know the volume/density of the human, too.

The speed at which it sinks is just the acceleration of gravity (9.81m/s^2) minus the drag. Calculating the drag of an object passing through water is not easy and depends very heavily on the shape of the object.

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/hydraulics-civil-engineering/58434-drag-force-for-fluid-flow-past-an-immersed-object/

It would also depend on whether or not the guy was flailing around, which he probably would be.
>>
The density of a normal health human is a little over the density of water, at around 1,02 g / cm3.
Now the density of seawater is also about 1,02 g /cm3. Lead has a density of 11,34 g /cm3. You weigh about 75 kg. So the total density is 100/175 * 11,34 + 75/175 * 1,02, which is about 6,9. Gravitys pull will be 175*6,9 * 9,82 = 11858 N.The water will be pushing you up with 1,02 * (175000/6,9 /100^3) * 9,82 = 0,25 N. Meaning your force downwards would be 11858 N. Not sure if this formula will work, but F/m = a. So 11858/175 = 67,8 m/s^2, which seems ridiculous. I must have done something wrong :/
>>
>>8338233

That's exactly my problem. I always end up with values that are completely out of question.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.