[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the greatest chemist of the 20th century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: aaaaaa.jpg (330KB, 1024x909px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
330KB, 1024x909px
Everyone always asks for people's opinions on who they think is the greatest of mathematics,physics

but i never see Chemistry..So I ask who is the greatest chemist of the 20th century in your opinion?
>>
heck
>>
Fritz Haber
>Haber-Bosch process makes ammonia production ez
>industrial production of firtilizer causes population to skyrocket
>realizes people suck and becomes the father of chemical warfare
>>
probably Linus Pauling
>>
File: thomas migley.jpg (12KB, 229x357px) Image search: [Google]
thomas migley.jpg
12KB, 229x357px
Thomas Midgley Jr.

>invented leaded gasoline, allowing millions of engines around the world to run smoothly
>invented chlorofluorocarbons, allowing millions of women to volumize their hair with hairspray

Tragically, he died after being strangled on a system of pulleys and levers he designed to pull himself out of bed.
>>
>>8334365
I wish he had lived to realize how much harm he caused
>>
>>8334365
>>8334743
Based Midgley Jr.
>On October 30, 1924, Midgley participated in a press conference to demonstrate the apparent safety of TEL. In this demonstration, he poured TEL over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever.[5][8] [...] Midgley would later have to take leave of absence from work after being diagnosed with lead poisoning
>>
>>8334333
Breaking Bad
>>
>>8334333
Since we've run out
>>
>>8334350
Most definitely Linus Pauling!

He's probable the one man, that has had the most influence in chemistry in the 20'th century - and not just in his own sub-field of chemistry.
>>
>>8334349
It was mostly an engineering problem not a chemical one though. But yeah, Haber-Bosch was the beginning of the chemical industry we have today
>>
>>8334333

What sub-discipline? Biochemistry? Synthetic? Physical?
>>
File: 220px-Robert_Woodward_Nobel.jpg (12KB, 220x311px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Robert_Woodward_Nobel.jpg
12KB, 220x311px
>>8334333

R.B. Woodward is the only correct answer.

His strychnine synthesis is amazing given the tools that were available at the time. That's before mentioning B12 and chlorophyll.
>>
File: 1467234537248.jpg (98KB, 487x877px) Image search: [Google]
1467234537248.jpg
98KB, 487x877px
>>8335390
I second this notion.
>>
>>8335400
thanks based bob
>>
>>8335400
thanks based bob
>>
Alexander Shulgin
>>
>>8335200
>>8334365
I guess it just goes to show that you can be highly intelligent while also being a complete idiot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.