[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can I do with a degree in physics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1470854333056.jpg (184KB, 794x794px) Image search: [Google]
1470854333056.jpg
184KB, 794x794px
Is it worth getting a bachelor's degree in or should I switch my major before its too late
>>
>>8333971
Gonna guess, you entered physics because of the money

Just switch to whatever you like, dumb frogposter
>>
>>8333982
Why would he enter physics for money? If he wanted money he would enter something like petroleum engineering.
>>
>>8333982
I chose to enter physics because I like it
>>
>>8333982
>you entered physics because of the money
I laughed
>>
>>8333971
If you wish to be a rich man, I would probably do something else. The biggest pay cut you can get is in the private sector, and while you can get the 300k dream job with a B.S. doing some shit for a military contractor or something. The likely hood of that happening without knowing someone is pretty low though, so I wouldn't bet on it. You'll probably end up being a highschool teacher.

If you wish to do research, a double major in physics and math will afford you many options for the direction you wish to take in grad school, which you will have to do in order to be a researcher. It will take considerably more effort, and you will most likely not make a lot of money from it.
>>
A BS in physics provides you with one of the most maneuverable skill sets in the STEM fields. I applied to 4 different graduate programs (engineering, geophysics, applied math, and physics) after I earned my BS, and was accepted into each program; it was tougher deciding what program to enter. I'd say if you are interested, hard working and curious in physics, stick with it. And you can make decent money--I do pretty damn well.
>>
Physics opens the doors to a lot of great fields. So, you didn't totally screw yourself but you did probably study a lot more than you'll ever need for whatever field you end up in. That's cool though, physics is awesome and just fun to learn about.
>>
>>8335117
>>8335064
>>8334032

holy shit for the first time a thread about physics majors that doesn't make me want to kill myself for wanting to major in physics
>>
>>8335126
Nuclear and high energy grad student here. Can't really go much further than the other two anons here, but yeah, stick with physics. Shit is cash.

And like they said, you're going to leave academia (or not) with a skill set that no one can trounce you in. There are also a number of things you can do that most people don't think about.

Want to go into politics? Be an adviser. Politics is child's play compared to graduate tier physics.

Want to travel and be of importance to the world? Apply to be a weapons inspectorate for the UN.

Want to make money? Go to graduate school in something easily applied but equally dank:

Nuclear engineering
Nano-optics
etc.

If you want a cushy research life, stay away from things like string theory and the like. You'll be stuck in academia forever and constantly be worried about bullshit like tenure and grants.

My advice and plan is to finish my PhD, do a postdoc somewhere fun/interesting (my adviser has contacts at CERN and Brookhaven National Labs, so if I don't fuck up she should be a wonderful help), then spank it on over to politics/UN/private sector.

Oh also, be sure you can communicate well. I mean really, make sure you give killer powerpoints and can talk to people. I'm antisocial as fuck but went to a school with a very preppy social scene that I learned to meld into, and older physicists eat that shit up when grad students appear to be well adjusted.

Oh, and enjoy it. No way in hell would I do this bullshit if I didn't love it to death. In my opinion physics is one of the most satisfying fields out there if have reasonable expectations for yourself and your discipline.
>>
This thread is making me all warm inside desu senpai
>>
you could always suck dicks OP
physics mouths are well wanted in the gay community
>>
>>8333971
You're not going to get a job with just a BS in physics. There's a reason they call it a BS. Your degree a BS. Everyone else ITT who praises it is involved in or has taken graduate studies. You don't learn any useful modern physics with a BS.
>>
>>8333971
Because you say the word "major", I assume you're American. You're fucked anyway. No job is worth the debt you're getting yourself into.
>>
>>8335530
Only retards go to schools they can't afford
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.