[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harrington seed destructor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (90KB, 800x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 800x415px
Non Agfags may not care but the seed destroyer could be a game changer in controlling pesticide resistance. They claim it can destroy up to 99.5% of seeds in field which would greatly reduce the need for herbicide application
>>
>>8332031
cool, because herbicide is a carcinogen.
>>
>>8332031
This would be good for organic farming, making it even cheaper to produce.

We need to start going to an all organic farming model.
>>
File: 12935253_Alt01.jpg (42KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
12935253_Alt01.jpg
42KB, 450x450px
>>8332059
Eh my dad is an organic farmer, and while our current agricultural system is not sustainable, using pesticides, fertilizers and gmos are a much wiser use of petroleum than organic farming, at least for field crops. You have to till up soil 2 to 3 times before you seed to control weeds, using up more fuel for a lower yield. Theres organic practices like crop rotation that could be incorporated to conventional farming, sure, but organic farming is getting a free pass.

But hey, the uptick in organic demand has been good for my family. If you ever ate pic related, you probably had some of my dads organic wheat and help pay for my college tuition
>>
>>8332128
Crop rotation has been standard in conventional farming for centuries my man. You're right that at this point organic farming couldn't even come close to conventional output though
>>
>>8332059
Yes but its main use would be to stop herbicide resistance which is devastating even in conventional agriculture
>>
>>8332128
I just ate a box tonight
>>
>>8332212
How, it is literally the worst tasting box macaroni. I would rather eat kraft dinner.
>>
>>8332128
It depends entirely on the type of planting methods you do. There's even a no-till method for organic farming.

I've been farming for over 40 years and the only thing I put on my crops is water and composted horse manure (which is full of "weed" seeds). I don't have trouble with weeds. Then again, I practice companion planting along side eating the "weeds". I encourage edible weed growth as ground cover that chokes out inedible weeds.

You guys should check out: >>>/out/851717
>>
>>8332128
you have no idea the amount of resources that go into pesticides fertilizer and gmos then.
>>
>>8332237
This seed destroyer was developed mostly for Palmer Pigweed as well as common ragweed. These are highly aggressive weeds that'll outcompete other weeds and crops. I'm not sure how they taste though
>>
>>8332256
I read a paper on the subject at uni that backs up my post but I can't find it. Do you have a ball park estimate on the amount of oil pesticides and fertilizer use?

>>8332199
Oh no doubt, but cheap fertilizers and pesticides have made conventional farmers fat and lazy. It's kind of turned into a political thing where anything that organic farmers use is demonized by conventional farmers as hippy liberal non sense.

>>8332237
Huh interesting, I'll have to talk to my dad about it and see what he says.
>>
>>8332509
OP here. I operate a small grain farm and can say it's close to impossible to grow grains organically. This seed destroyer should be a game changer, eliminating the need for multiple herbicide treatment. You'd be surprised how many enviro friendly practices small timers have adopted and borrowed from organic operations though. Things like no-till planting and organic fertilization are pretty common among small farms in my area
>>
>>8332356
http://www.eattheweeds.com/palmer-amaranth/
http://www.eattheweeds.com/ragweed/

I prefer Lamb's Quarter for greens and I grow redroot pigweed for grain. There's no palmer where I live. Round-up fuds are responsible for "weed problems." People are also really lazy. They'd rather spray stuff than pull weeds. Thus, they call it a "super weed!" when they can't just spray it to get rid of it. They've gone too long being able to spray their problems away that they don't know how to deal with weeds in any other fashion. Then again, their farming methods promote the growth of weeds.
>>
>>8332743
That's where this seed pulverizer comes in to eliminate weeds mechanically. You can't really call someone lazy for not pulling weeds by hand when you have hundreds of thousands of weeds in a hundred acre feild. Organic vegetable farming is absolutely nothing like field crop farming buddy
>>
>>8332755
Only you don't need to pull weeds when you change your farming methods. Something as simple as proper cover crops and companion planting can get rid of most weeds. That's where "lazy" comes into play. They want to spray and pray. They are doomed. Monocrop, industrialized, farming practices have had a very short life span and everything is an absolute subjective mess because of it. Already, large farms are rediscovering the older techniques. You can't work against nature, you have to work with it, otherwise nature catches up with you.
>>
>>8332768
What cover crops can be planted at the emergence of Palmer pigweed that will establish the canopy needed to snuff out the weed all while allowing for corn/soybeans to be planted weeks later?
>>
>>8332215
Kek. All that hippie bullshit for shitty macaroni
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.