[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best mechanics book? Is it this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

What's the best mechanics book? Is it this?
>>
>>8330108
yes
>>
File: holy trinity.jpg (168KB, 974x498px) Image search: [Google]
holy trinity.jpg
168KB, 974x498px
>>8330108
fuck no, get pic related.
>>
>>8330108
Landau - Mechanics
>>
>>8330112
Looks like the textbooks of a man who like to suck a bunch of cocks
>>
landau lifshitz is good, using it to self study but it's extremely terse
>>
It's a pretty solid introduction to analytical mechanics at the undergraduate level, though once you've finished it you really need to follow it up with something like goldstein or landa-lifshitz. Taylor doesn't cover plenty of important things like poisson brackets or legendre transformations. Alternatively you could just start with l&l or goldstein, but it would likely be considerably easier to have gotten through taylor first.
>>
>>8330108
i had that book, pretty good, weird ass shape for a backpack tho,,

hibbler is pretty good tho
>>
Bump?
>>
This baby here, then Goldstein + Landau for some advanced topics
>>
>>8330126
>>8330536
>>8330152

Good on you, shockingly i have never heard about LL even now in my last semester of Physics. This is exactly what i was looking for.

OP, are you taking mechanics for the first time?
If you are then steer very clear of Landau-Lifshitz as the math rigor is generally above an entry level. Taylor is good, also check out Goldstein for into level.
>>
I like that book quite a bit. He does a good job of really laying everything out. The problems aren't the best though. If you are going to use it for self-study, I would recommend googling some additional problems or grabbing another book solely for exercises. Luckily finding classical physics problems about every subject in that book will be incredibly easy. The problem with his questions are that he sort of steers you into the answer without you figuring it out on your own. It isn't that the problems are too easy necessarily--he just gives too many hints. I remember reading this book for class and the number of pages I read each night was considerably higher than in other physics courses, but it actually took a lot less time to get through because I never got lost or had to really think about what he was trying to say. It's incredibly clear but not very concise.
>>
Isn't Kleppner up there?

From what I've seen, Morin has a lot of very interesting problems. I'd check that one out too.
>>
>>8330108
>inb4 von Neumann 'mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics'
>>
File: einsteinpipework.jpg (33KB, 364x480px) Image search: [Google]
einsteinpipework.jpg
33KB, 364x480px
>>8330711
dubs got me like
>>
anybody has read mechanics by French?
>>
It took me a month to realize the cover of that book is a joke.
>>
>>8331539
>tfw didn't realize it was a joke until now
Analytical mechanics books for this feel?
>>
>>8330578
I actually have an undergraduate level physics background. I'm looking for something to review with and clear up things I never really understood right.
>>
>>8330536
Both Goldstein and Landau are utter garbage. Arnold is a decent book. Any book address specifically for mathematicians is good.
>>
>>8334455
>Goldstein and Landau are utter garbage
>Any book address specifically for mathematicians is good

I knew /sci/ was full of shit heats and trolls but this one truly excels at being both
>>
>>8335098
I used these three books and both Goldstein and Landau are meme books and a waste of time. Choke on dick faggot.
>>
It's a good book, but not with the greatest problems. For problems and other nice stuff, check out Morin. Also the Mechanics volume of the Berkely Physics Course is good.
After you get through these books, you can take on Landau, a very very very good book, clear and concise.
You may also read Feynman's Lectures, nice insight to be gained.
I would advise to keep away from books like Goldstein.
>>
>>8330108
Out of interest, I've written some personal solutions manuals to very old electromagnetism texts (Jeans, Smythe, working on Stratton) some of which have pretty nasty problems (esp. Smythe). Is there any interest in a dump of solutions to textbooks anywhere? Just think I should probably share them around once I've completed the last of them.
>>
>>8335438
that would be cool

>>8335384
how are they memes? or am i being memed?
>>
>>8337022
Where's a good place to post them?
>>
Is this book any good?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.