[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /sci/ any of you have advice for someone in their early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Learning-how-to-learn.jpg (33KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Learning-how-to-learn.jpg
33KB, 900x506px
hello /sci/

any of you have advice for someone in their early twenties and no basic math oor physics skills?
i have been trying to teach myself from online courses and books, but i always hit a wall.

i want to fix my life, please help me /sci/
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 236x214px
come on guys,
i need advice from succesful people
>>
Brainlets will always be brainlets
>>
File: IMAG0477.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0477.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
>>8329083
If you enjoy it you will get passed it.

If you're only doing because you think it will make you some kind of intellectual then just stop torturing yourself now.
>>
>>8329148

what if a person had a relly bad abusive upbringing? ive never actually tried studying, and now that i have i have no help.
>>
>>8329083
do lots of exercises to overcome stalling
>>
I use khan academy
>>
>>8329150

i really enjoy reading about science, and i listen to teh astronomycast. i know lots of little facts about astronomy, and i want to grasp the math and physics behind it all.

youll al;l probably augh at the stuff i do know, but i genuinly believe that i could make it.
>>
>>8329154

please elaborate on this?

>>8329155

is kahn academy enough to teach myself maths and physics to the level where i can go to uni?
>>
>>8329083
Join a fucking community college for fuck's sake.
Even brilliant and highly motivated young minds need to be in a learning environment to become good scientist and engineers. In college, succeeding by never showing up to class and just learning on your own is extremely unlikely.

So if it's so hard for all those fresh, hard-working young heads to study alone, why the fuck would you think that YOU could do it better, when you start with a disadvantage?
>>
OP here, just saying im willing to spend money on improving my skills, i just need to know how to do so effectively.

any tips on studying after work and for a better focus also welcome
>>
>>8329165

thats a good fucking point.
i live in holland though, so what would be community college here/

i am 21 years old and i have about 1500 euros to spend
>>
>>8329160
You got the right attitude anon. Stick at it and you will make it.
>>
>>8329172

thanks for the encouragement :)
>>
>>8329163
Anon:
>Do lots of exercises to overcome stalling
OP:
>Please elaborate on this
Anon:
>Do lots of exercises
OP:
>Yeah I got that but how do I get good at math without doing any problems?

Kek. I'm so glad we live in a world where it's survival of the fittest. Stay brainlet for life OP
>>
>>8329350

kek im completely prepared to do lots of excercises, this level of advice is just completely lacking. im asking where to start, and how i should go about this. youre just strawmanning me now, anon.

by asking you to elaborate i was asking for specific schedules or learning strategies should be used or anything else helpful at all.
just tleling me i should do loads o excercises is not exactly useful advice.
>>
>>8329174
I was lying.
>>
>>8329416
im working on teaching myself maths and physics right now in order to get the qualifications to study physics at my uni. what i have found helpful is finding out what books my local private high schools use and studying primarily through them. if i get stuck at any point i use resources like wolfram alpha and khan academy. these are just things that work for me, but maybe you might find some of it useful yourself
>>
>>8329083
You need to exercise every day. Just do a lot of problems, start with the basic and increase the difficulty gradually. Use 10% of the time to learn the concepts and the rest for solve problems. You will learn the concepts through problems, to solve problems. See the problems as a challenge, and you will feel satified when you are able to solve one. This works for maths and physics until undergraduate level. Also, it's very important to exercise everyday and review the excercises that you have already done. As a reference, you at least should solve 50-100 problems every day in both areas. Find a basic book to start and devour it and then go to the next level.

Enjoy the trip
>>
File: Required Reading.png (3MB, 1360x2765px) Image search: [Google]
Required Reading.png
3MB, 1360x2765px
>>8329083
Read books
Do problems
>>
>>8330580
I used Young and Freedman in my first year of Physics, it's actually pretty decent
>>
>>8329083
I'll try to be reasonably helpful:

1) Don't give up when things don't go quickly and you get stuck/don't get it. This is extremely normal. Part of learning how to study well in mathematics is learning to be comfortable with getting stuck all the time. Depending on how much time you can dedicate, it could take many months to read an introductory book. As long as you are actually working and putting in effort, there's no need to panic.

2) In math, always put effort into understanding what's going on. Don't memorize techniques for how to solve the particular sorts of problems the textbook gives you. This is a waste of your time and not even real learning. Understanding what is going on is what you need to put your effort into. This is the real reason some people have extreme difficulty with math while others are able to get very far, it's about studying it the right way.

Other than that, that others have said is right. There's no substitute for sitting down for hours doing problems and studying. If you say you've been hitting a wall, that sounds to me more like you've been giving up when things get hard. Just be patient, go slowly, and you'll get through it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.