[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a recent grad in nuclear engineering and getting into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: DS4000[1].jpg (77KB, 747x377px) Image search: [Google]
DS4000[1].jpg
77KB, 747x377px
I'm a recent grad in nuclear engineering and getting into electronics and arduino type stuff. During my last semester I took a course in control theory and I think I found my calling.

Right now I'm in the market for an oscilloscope and wondering if there are any non-standard functions I should look out for. Things that would be more useful to an I&C engineer than an EE.

Suggestions?
>>
File: QuUvLhY.jpg (998KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
QuUvLhY.jpg
998KB, 1920x1080px
Unrelated but I'm a freshman at a community college planning on majoring in nuclear engineering, tips?
>>
>>8326873
>>>/diy/
>>
>>8326889
Not sure, I never had an "aha!" moment as if the peak of some sort of hill.
Make sure your fundamentals are well conceptualized, lots of my peers had trouble in the first nuclear class we had, lots of people got weeded out.

Pick up this book https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Nuclear-Science-Engineering-Second/dp/1420051350
and read ahead if you want to get ahead of the curve.
Lots of classes also used this book https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Nuclear-Engineering-John-Lamarsh/dp/0201824981

Personally, I just wish I had the work ethic to devote time to studying and doing homework, instead I was in limbo my last two years where I didn't want to study and wouldn't let myself do anything fun instead. First two years were a breeze, but barely scraped by with a 3.0 because I'm a shit student.
Curriculum wise, they made us take an online EE course which reviewed electronics from physics, then covered opamps, simplifying circuits, power distribution, and some other stuff. After the class they threw us into rad detection and measurement where they sit you down in front of an oscilloscope, lots of detectors and industry equipment and very little time to internalize everything. Probably just a Penn State thing.

Be ready to work outside of your field or have good behavior for the rest of your life. Most if not all jobs require some sort of extended background/security check and or export controls. I looked into a CIA internship, and they talk some mad shit about not torrenting for a year before applying to be eligible, that spooked me. Depending on how deep it is, they may interview people in your past, ask about drugs, etc. I've heard that it's best to not lie. If they find out you lied, you'd be barred from working in the industry for life.
>>
>>8326873
Digital or analogue electronics? Each type requires different types of triggers and few scopes can provide all sorts of triggers.

If you get real good in analogue design you can get good jobs and the job security is at a different level form programming.
>>
>>8327159
>different level form programming

you mean from? As in, better job security than programming?

Who still does analogue design? I know nuclear industry does due to strict regulations mandated before digital got big and semiconductors getting fucked in radiation fields.
>>
>>8327229
Better, far better than programming.

Front ends are invariably analogue, such as AD Converters, linedrivers etc.

Analogue chip houses like Analog Devices will always need people.
>>
>>8326984
>asking arduinofaggots for any relevant opinion
>>
>>8327325
Lot more practicing engineers there.
/sci/ are essentially high-school faggots.
>>
>>8327325
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>8327017
Man that sounds like some shit. Are there any other majors you would have considered? How much are you looking at making?
>>
>>8327254
Not OP but good to know. I thought I was gonna be more interested in digital electronics and design but I'm finding analog signal processing and design is much more interesting.

Different filter topologies, amplifier design, RF stuff, etc. It's really interesting stuff, I'm glad there are secure industry positions for analog stuff. I was kind of worried about if there would be a job for me or not.
>>
>>8327229
Sure, "everything" is going digital, but analog electronics will always be a useful skill because there will always be times and places where digital breaks down or is simply overkill.
>>
>>8326873
I'm taking electrical engineering at a kinda crappy university, and im kinda wondering if i'd even get a job after this degree.

I'm really worried, I don't know what to do. I don't even know if ill be smart enough to get into the industry, any advice?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0vWCneux0
>>
>>8327017
>and they talk some mad shit about not torrenting for a year
What the hell?
>>
>>8328310
Sorry for late reply. I don't think it's that bad. I went with nuke because of my HS chem teacher, really distinguished, good relationship, suggested I do it. I knew I wanted to do science and could always switch to something else if I didn't like it. Since my first two years were easy, I loved it. When the hard stuff rolled around it was too late to switch.

I don't think it's that bad since every nuke plant divides personnel (engineering) into 4 categories, and one of them is instrumentation and controls.

>Are there any other majors you would have considered?

In in 9th grade if you were to ask me I would have done something in IT. Otherwise I wish I knew more about economics, finance, maybe bio engineering. Wish I had the confidence to major in math though.

I'd be happy with 50k entry level, would probably go as low as 30k for a year or two just to have something to put on my resume.

>>8328830
https://torrentfreak.com/fbi-screens-interns-on-their-piracy-habits-141010/

not really a quality source, but I remember seeing something in the brochure I was given at the job fair and maybe something online, it was 2 years ago.

>>8328483
I have no idea dude. I've been putting off applying to jobs to travel this summer while my loans are in grace, but based on what I see on employment sites, especially if you're willing to move/travel there is plenty of work in technical fields.
Anecdotally, while working on my capstone project with an engineer from industry I noticed that people don't expect you to work with fundamentals to come up with a solution on the spot or some crazy shit like that. It's more about understanding the problem and searching literature for solutions that have been proven. I guess what I'm trying to say is that industry is nothing like homework or midterms.

>>8328799
I've been watching this guy the past two days
EEVBlogs are hard to watch when each video is at least 40 minutes long.
>>
>>8329140
Thanks forbthe help my man, it'll take about 5 years to land my bachelors because Californias UC system is some shit. What do you mean by "I wish I had the confidence to be a Math major"? Is there even a market for those?
>>
>>8329140
I've actually got more questions. Is there a big difference between those who have a masters or a bachelors in the industry? Also is it really just daycare for reactors for 50k a year? Thoughts on nuclear physics?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.