[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working as a species

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: eso0303c.jpg (170KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
eso0303c.jpg
170KB, 1280x961px
Ok /sci/ this is less of a pure scientific issue, but a global, social one.
Undeniably it would benefit all scientific fields both researching and industrial, if humans began cooperating as one species and came to a planetary understanding of our.. well, planetary existence.

it would be in the interest of science to remove the social stigma of the hardsciences being for virgin-nerdy-males, to see to better science education in schools, to.. for example make the internet globally available, to enable more people to study sciences. Education

i wouldn't know of such an effort by the science community, other than the occasional prominent scientist giving his opinion in interviews and such (please tell me, if there are).

essentially, world peace and global cooperation is in the interest of science and should therefore be worked towards, or isn't it?
>>
>>8317399
>it would be in the interest of science to remove the social stigma of the hardsciences being for virgin-nerdy-males

the lie of egalitarianism makes you believe that anybody can do this science stuff.

since antiquity its always been a social minority that were the gatekeepers to civilization. thats not going to change just because you force feed textbooks to kids.
>>
>>8317399

By a misty mountain slope.
A man of science meets a priest. The former demands the latter to abandon his dogmatic beliefs and join the pursuit of knowledge. Humans must unite he says. The priest refuses and laments the shallow wisdom of the scientist. Oil and water cannot become one.
>>
>>8317432
/thread
>>
>Ok /sci/ this is less of a pure scientific issue, but a global, social one.

>i wouldn't know of such an effort by the science community
>>
>>8317432
i don't demand everyone go into STEM fields, but the inbalance between the importance of STEM and the reputation of STEM has got to be a little bit concerning.
even elon musk said, that we should teach critical thinking.
not everyone will become or want to become a scientist, that would be insane, but the overall quality and level of education could still rise, meaning the educational system would create more capable scientists overall.
and that's just on the scale of one country!

it would make sense to work towards that, wouldn't it?

>>8317436
i'm not asking to have them become one. i'm asking for more oil and of higher purity, so to speak.

------------
>social minority that were the gatekeepers to civilization
it isn't cool to be brainlet for no reason. that's very produced, excepted and profitable. how minor that minority is, is variable.
is there the ISF concerned with science education?

also, who are the gatekeepers right now? that'd be dandy to know.
>>
>>8317463
>science community can only do science. what their social standing is of everything about the society it is in it can't do, because that's not science.
>>
>>8317399
>Undeniably it would benefit all scientific fields both researching and industrial, if humans began cooperating as one species and came to a planetary understanding of our.. well, planetary existence.
Academia is already global, I don't get your point.

>it would be in the interest of science to remove the social stigma of the hardsciences being for virgin-nerdy-males
It is for nerdy people. The pursuit of research requires what one would call an abnormal obsession with a specific topic. Lying to normies by telling them you can accomplish good research by taking it like a 9-5 gig is counter productive.
If anything, make it less accessible, but better paid, in order to grab those few brilliant mathematical young minds who turn to finance instead.
>>
>>8317465
of is or
>>
>>8317464
>but the inbalance between the importance of STEM and the reputation of STEM has got to be a little bit concerning

i cannot understate how stupid and uneducated the average person is. only 38% of the US population gets a secondary degree of any kind. this includes technical degrees, associates degrees, and fly by night degree mill certificates.

algebra is the most failed class in both high school and community college. the attrition rate for STEM is horrible across the board.

people don't like what they aren't good at. more importantly, educated professionals are rare in the context of the majority (the lower class).

imagine when you go to work at your manual labor job, some guy in a collared shirt is just kind of hanging around not really working like you do. he's working alright, but not 'working' working.

then say you get hurt, you go see some guy in a collared shirt and he pretty much determines how your quality of life is going to be from then on out.

that guy in the collared shirt shows up and all you know is he was one of those guys that didn't hit that wall.

this is how the majority of the people in our country live their lives. its little wonder that people have a skewed perception.

you don't see it because you are surrounded by guys in collared shirts or you are that guy in the collared shirt.

>also, who are the gatekeepers right now?
law, STEM, and business.
>>
>>8317399
>essentially, world peace and global cooperation is in the interest of science and should therefore be worked towards, or isn't it?

It's in the interest of science, but not in my individual interest since I'm going to die regardless. So I'm not going to lift a finger for science, and if I can't afford painkillers I might stab you and take yours.
>>
>>8317468
>if anything, make it less accessible, but better paid, in order to grab those few brilliant mathematical young minds who turn to finance instead.
The greater the general interest in the topic of scienfitic research, the greater the number of people striving to research, resulting in a greater selection pool for those mathematically gifted minds that you mentioned. let it be less accessible then, that's fine.

making this a reality is not a scientific task, but can only be in the interest of the scientific community.
however i know of no such effort.

additional thoughts:
//one can reach a understanding of science lower than the understanding that would allow one to apply it, aka. do the math, aka. do the research.
//is it proven that mathematical giftedness is a genetic thing?
//i know of no such effort, because there is none or because it's just not known to me
//the correlation between greater interest in science and a greater academic pursuit is proven or unproven?
>>
>>8317399

>essentially, world peace and global cooperation is in the interest of science and should therefore be worked towards, or isn't it?

Christ on toast, no. A thousand times no. NO spelled in 300-foot tall steel letters painted red.

If not for the World Wars and the political tension they generated, we'd be 80 years behind on aerospace tech, and nuclear fission would barely be out of the lab.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.