[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly makes thoughts appear in our heads? Even without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

What exactly makes thoughts appear in our heads? Even without an external stimulus like when you are meditating or lying in bed.
>>
I suppose it is the summation of experience and the innate nature of our imagination.

I suppose this is why we have no memory of thought in our earliest existence.
>>
Electrical impulses
>>
>>8316030
Could it be that we have an abstract list of memories sorted by current importance and our brain randomly recalls them?
>>
>>8316063
It probably isn't random recall. Its probably more like thoughts you are constantly having just rising to your level of cognition.
>>
>>8316024
I think thoughts are pretty much either caused by external stimuli or part of an unbroken chain, where every thought is somehow related to the previous one. Try it, it's pretty difficult to think a truly random thought. And if you manage it, it throws off your train of thought, and surprises you with its novelty. I can imagine the way it works in my head - one thought setting off another, tangentially related thought, which sets off another and so on.
>>
>>8316024
>Even without an external stimulus
>like when you are meditating or lying in bed.
This is nowhere near real sensory deprivation.
>>
>>8316024
Certain patterns of neuron activation?
>>
>>8316024
Instincts, think of them like feedback loops.
Like the instinct a baby has to suck on a breast.
Or the instinct you have to breathe.
They are autonomous and don't require your conscious effort.
An interesting aspect of this are your guilty pleasures.
You know it's wrong, you know you shouldn't do it, but you do it anyway.
In a way your logic circuit is arguing with your emotional circuit, and the latter one wins. The funny thing is you are conscious about the result, but not the process itself.
>>
>>8316024

There are no "thoughts." What actually exists is behavior. You engage in a behavior where you say "I had a thought." Neuronal firing makes that sort of behavior happen.
>>
Some scientists attribute it to a constant random background "noise". Thoughts appear as a result of the brain being active.

>in before muh free will and "this proves dualism"
>>
>>8316063
Memories are sorted temporally
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.