[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How angry does this make you on a scale of 1-1776?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How angry does this make you on a scale of 1-1776?
>>
>"You've learned new things that made you rethink how you see the world?"
>"That's bad, you should be ashamed of yourself. I've never had to reconsider a single thing in my life :) ".

Amazing.
>>
>>8312180
so you agree with it?
>>
It depends on what you're looking for. For the past two to three hundred years "new" theories have more refined old theories than thrown them out directly, if you view science as a set of techniques for modelling reality (the inductivists' preferred interpretation) then the problem goes away.

This is the dominant trend in physics right now, stemming from Arizona's "modelling physics" programme.
>>
>Theories improve over time
>Ergo, theories cannot be trusted

The standing theories are the best approximations to the truth right now. There's nothing better than that yet.

No scientific theory has been outright discarded. Only slightly modified.
>>
>>8312161
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that new theories don't replace old ones but rather include them as a special case
>>
>>8312161
>do people make mistakes?
>yes
10/10 realization.
>>
You guys are wasting your time trying to explain. Plebs see either total perfection or utter failure, they just aren't nuanced enough to appreciate partial results, approximations, educated guesses as the like. If you had any sense while you're still young you'd disengage trying to improve the insight of your inferiors now and stick to your equals instead.
>>
>>8312485
I have to learn to live with them because they are unable to learn to live with me.
>>
>>8312161
False.

Older theories are only replaced by better ones, so our theories get closer and closer to "real."

You're implying that better and better abilities of induction have no benefit.
>>
>being this retarded

Science has nothing to do with absolute truth. We still use the hard sphere model of the atom for a bunch of applications even though we know that atoms are not hard spheres.

it doesn't matter if its "right" or not, it only matters if its useful.
>>
>>8312528
atoms are planets actually
watch a fucking documentary some time
>>
>>8312161
>induction proves something is likely in the future
That's not how induction works.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.