[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microscopic Tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: C2027.jpg (41KB, 468x585px) Image search: [Google]
C2027.jpg
41KB, 468x585px
What tools are needed to interact with protozoans?

I need to be able to move them (tiny syringe?) and possibly manipulate them in other ways.

What tools or methods would I use to interact with creatures so small?
>>
Anyone? I'm sure a biology student could answer this for me.
>>
Are you fuckers just busy posting memes?

I guess my mistake was thinking that /sci/ was actually about science.

I also made the mistake of thinking /g/ was about technology and all I got was "install gentoo! xD"
>>
>>8311906
To do what and why? This better not be about doing catch and release fishing of microorganisms...

Install Gentoo
>>
>>8311953
>I guess my mistake was thinking that /sci/ was actually about science
No shit, how fucking new are you? Nothing about this board is scientific, it's just the same autistic arguments (does free will exist, engineering vs pure math, etc.) again and again and again.
>>
>>8311962
I'm wanting to just dick around with them for fun.

1. Put two different types next to each other to see what they do.

2. Find out ways to sterilize pond water into drinkable water.

3. Move them to a different substrate and see what happens.

4. Test effectiveness of current water sterilization techniques (boiling, UV light, chemical purification, etc.)

I am not a biologist, nor will I pretend that I'm one. I just want to do it as a hobby.
>>
>>8311965
This is my first visit to /sci/, I know that every board seems to have their own brand of "meme".

/ck/ = ketchup on steak
/fit/ = GOMAD & SS
/g/ = install gentoo
/v/ = what did x mean by this?
/pol/ = gas the kikes, race war now
/o/ = Initial D and Wankel engines

And so on.

I just didn't want to have to stay here long enough to find out what /sci/'s super DANK MEMES are.
>>
>>8311979
>> just want to dick around
Sorry no answer for you. Unless you have lots of funding like MIT media lab funding you won't. No seriously shit's expensive

Just use petri dishes and shit. There is no reason for you to move cells around.
>>
>>8311985
/sci/s epic meme is that biology is not a science. Math and physics tards are the most abundant here so you came to the wrong place.

As a microbiologist I can tell you you won't be able to do much shit unless you're willing to spend a decent amount of money. Obviously a good compound microscope is must.

Other than that I suggest searching the internet for lab protocols related to your interests and seeing if you can substitute expensive materials for cheaper alternatives.

I found this and briefly scanned it. May help or not.

https://media.vwr.com/emdocs/docs/scied/Working_with_Protozoa.pdf
>>
>>8311987
See the protozoa in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNQWg6T81M

He is using a simple $300 microscope to be able to see them. I'm sure that a simple syringe that is small enough for them can't be more expensive than the microscope itself...

I could probably use the head of a needle if it was sharp enough...
>>
>>8312005
OP here, this seems to be the closest answer I've had so far.

It mention pipettes as a way to move them. Are there pipettes available online that would be small enough for them? Price is not an issue.
>>
>>8312015
If you're talking about transferring a single organism or something I don't that will work. Just look for pipettes online

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/z350699?lang=en&region=US&cm_sp=Insite-_-prodRecCold_xviews-_-prodRecCold10-2

Smaller stem diameters will probably be better since most protozoa are around 50 to 100 micrometers I think.

Surgical needles may also help I guess but they're stupid expensive.

http://www.finescience.com/Special-Pages/Products.aspx?ProductId=123&CategoryId=71&lang=en-US

Certain staining reagents could help distinguish between species
>>
>>8311953
Your mistake was not being patient like a good boy.
>>
File: micromanipulator.jpg (13KB, 337x277px) Image search: [Google]
micromanipulator.jpg
13KB, 337x277px
>>8312008
>>8312057

Yeah seeing them isn't hard and pipettes aren't too expensive. The issue is the micromanipulator necessary to maneuver the pipette around to the cells. Sure if you have insanely steady hands you might be able to do it. Of course, even electronic micromanipulators are a pain in the ass to use.

There is no reason for you to mess around with single cells. It's useless for what you want to do.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.