[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did a bit of reading on Protons and Neutrons. If Neutrons are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Confusionbutalsobacon.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Confusionbutalsobacon.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
Did a bit of reading on Protons and Neutrons.
If Neutrons are composed of two down quarks and an up quark and Protons are composed of two up quarks and a down quark, how do neutrons decompose into a proton, an electron, and an anti-neutrino? If they decompose, though, that would mean that the Neutron is less stable as a neutron unless energy is put into it to create it, yes? So since it is solely composed of three quarks, yet decomposes into something also made of three quarks PLUS two more elementary particles, does that imply that the two other elementary particles aren't really even particles as we would think, but rather states of stored energy?
Or that maybe quarks' spin states are influenced by the addition of extra particles, like, say, a down quark is not an elementary particle, but rather an up quark with an electron and anti-neutrino bound to it?

I literally know nothing of particle physics beyond what I learned in high school and all the big words I just used I learned from Wikipedia last night, so excuse the potential retardation of the question.
>>
>>8311127
>how do neutrons decompose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction
>>
>>8311250
But they decompose into more than they're made of. They're made of 3 quarks, but decompose into something else made of 3 quarks, plus two more particles.
>>
>>8311308
downs are 2x heavier than ups
>>
>>8311323
So then they give up an antineutrino and an electron to turn into an up quark?
If so, why are they considered elementary particles?
>>
>>8311127
Wait a second...am I understanding this correctly? You're a moron who likely didn't graduate from highschool and doesn't possess even the foggiest understanding of basic mathematics. You have then heard though some dumbed down communications channel about this thing called particle physics. Presumably you are also aware that some of the finest minds to have ever existed were not capable of understanding this subject.

Taking into account all this information, you have then the bare faced cheek to imagine that despite your stupidity, your incredible ignorance, arrogance and laziness, your shortcomings too numerous to list are able to pull some shit out of your arse and then post on this site?

Never post on this website again. Cease all communication with mankind and disappear. You are a waste: of oxygen, of time, of space, of the 5 minutes your father spent fucking you mum to make you.
>>
>>8311379
It's not like the neutrino and the electron are somehow 'inside' the down quark. That's not how quantum field theory works.
>>
>>8311387
try taking some pills you sad little creep
>>
>>8311387
what, are you off your ritalin or something? xD
>>
>>8311387
Not OP, but this is basically me. Physics is kind of a hobby of mine and I try to learn about the basic concepts without digging too much into maths. I don't really see the point in getting upset tho.

>>8311478
What are the laws that determine what particles decay into? In pair production for example, does simply the energy released determine the type of pair?
>>
>>8311511
>I try to learn about the basic concepts without digging too much into maths.
Don't.
The math isn't that hard and a lot of physics books dumb it down anyway.
>>
>>8311502
it's an evolving meme
>>8311303
>>
>>8311511
>What are the laws that determine what particles decay into?
Its mass determines which decays are kinematically possible (conservation of momentum and energy).
Properties such as charge determine which decays are possible based on conservation laws.
And finally what kind of forces couple to the particle. Not all processes are mediated by the same force.
>>
>>8311511
The Lagrangian of the theory describes what kind of interactions can occur:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model_(mathematical_formulation)

As >>8311545 said, the Lagrangian is constructed to obey certain symmetries which give you interactions between different types of particles and conservation laws.
>>
>>8311545
Those conversation laws seem interesting, definitely reading up on this.
On a related note, how is the energy of one field transferred to another field? How do different theories explain this phenomena and it's mechanics on the most basic known level? Wouldn't be surprised tho if the explanation is a tad more complicated than what I can handle.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.