[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a question concerning linguistics (I guess), so if you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Apple.jpg (16KB, 741x478px) Image search: [Google]
Apple.jpg
16KB, 741x478px
This is a question concerning linguistics (I guess), so if you are one of those people who

>not real science,

please move on.

Now I've noticed a certain quirkiness of language that I've thought to be specific only to my own native language (Serbian) but I've just realized that it's something prevalent in English too.

>I ate an apple.

Now in this sentence, people would say that the word "an" is FOLLOWED by "apple" or that "apple" FOLLOWS "an". In my head, I can't realize how is that true because for "an" to follow "apple" would require that the part of the sentence be "apple an".

This is the same in Serbian, we would say that "an" is in front of "apple".

But consider the following. Sentences in European languages are read from left to right, as illustrated by the poorly-drawn image I made in paint just now. If you imagine yourself standing on point A of the axis, and you are heading in the "normal reading direction", towards point B, wouldn't anything that you have yet to encounter be IN FRONT OF YOU ? English and Serbian speakers read left to right, but yet they use terms for the imagined spacial distribution of elements in a sentence, as if they read right to left and I was wondering why is that.

Or am I just overthinking this ?
>>
>>8309543
/sci/ is basically natural science, engineering and math (and CS, in a smaller capacity).

Linguistics (or the study of languages, more appropriately) is mostly studied in the humanities, which belongs to >>>/his/. They are definitely the ones more likely to help you.
>>
File: 1451811150127.jpg (222KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1451811150127.jpg
222KB, 1200x800px
If you say "an apple" (aloud or in your mind), the following happens:

1. You first say "an".
2. You then say "apple".

So the state 2 follows the state 1. Therefore "apple" follows "an".
>>
>>8309562
>humanities
k

>>8309543
Just think of it like the first words are first in line. Or when you're reading, you read the word "an" first.
>>
>>8309543

Serb here.
Words that come earlier(Are to the left) than another word, 'lead' so to speak.
While words that come later(Are to the right) than another word, 'follow'.
>>
>>8309589

Also, you can compare this to mathematics concept of leading zeros and trailing zeros.
>>
>>8309581

I understand, but why does 2 follow 1 and not the opposite ? Isn't it more logical to assume that 1 follows 2 since 1 is behind 2 ?

In my head, behind and in front of are defined as terms that are relative to direction, and since the direction is 1 and then 2 - "an" and then "apple" - I naturally assume that 2 is followed by 1.

My head hurts.
>>
>>8309589
Anglo here
your not white, your dumb XD
>>
>>8309598

Think of it in terms of first place, second place, third place in a race for example.
Which follows and which leads?
Ili ti mozda treba objasnjenje na Srpskom?
>>
>>8309607

Nikada nisam o tome razmisljao na taj nacin. Meni je bilo logicnije da se drzim pravca citanja recenice i da na osnovu toga definisem "ispred" i "iza".
>>
>>8309609

I mene je mucilo to pre nekih 5-6 godina.
>>
>>8309656

Hvala na odgovoru, sve najbolje.
>>
>>8309562
linguistics (linguist here) at the university level in well-ranked departments is largely studied as a natural science; the main overlaps are psychology, neuro, computational modeling, and physiology/motor control; linguistic theory itself is mainly semi-mathematical models of sentence structure, meaning, and pronunciation systems.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.