[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Riddle me this /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Let's pretend I have a girlfriend who bought me a locket that can go on my keychain, however, my keys have been scratching the paint off of this locket.

See picture

Now let's assume for the sake of the argument and because I'm bored, that I'm paranoid and I'm worried about lead poisoning.

How could I.....
1. See if the metal was lead?
Or more likely,
2. See if the metal was made of an alloy containing not lead?

Assume I cannot destroy the locket to test it, for sentimental reasons.
>>
>>8307500
density
>>
who cares, lol? people have been living in lead houses for decades and nobody's died lol
>>
>>8307500

don't be a pussy

lead is not cyanide. If you don't have a rash it's fine.
>>
>>8307500
X-ray fluorescence spectrometry
>>
>>8307548
Energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy would be better. Most SEMs can do it
>>
Side question, is there any kind of law regulating the use of lead in stuff like this that you guys might know of?

>>8307503
How would density help me if it's an alloy?

>>8307534
Nigga I'm bored

>>8307540
I know
You don't do tests and determine the composition of common household items?
Do you even /sci/?

>>8307548
Anything I could do at home would be nice but I'll google that.
>>
>>8307500
A lot of electronics are made of lead and many houses you live in (especially the old crappy cheap ones in college towns) are painted with it. Just don't lick it and you should be fine.
>>
File: 000000000000.png (4KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
000000000000.png
4KB, 1024x1024px
If I were you, I would be more worried about the penny.
>>
>>8307500
ICP-MS my dude
>>
>>8307772
W-why?
>>
File: win-fatex-crash.jpg (34KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
win-fatex-crash.jpg
34KB, 552x414px
>>8307500
>Let's pretend I have a girlfriend
this caused my computer to crash
>>
>>8308136
No one buys a locket for themselves m8 ;^)
>>
>>8307500
It looks like tin, if its an alloy containing lead you have nothing to worry about, if its solid lead you still have nothing to worry about. You can eat the whole thing and nothing would happen solid lead can't be absorbed into the body and be deposited in your brain where it really can't do much damage to you anyways because your iq is so low to be worrying about shit like this.
>>
>>8309054
Why won't /sci/ help me have fun :^(
>>
>>8309060
you could pay a lab to analyze it for you, would cost a fortune though. Also if you know anyone in medicine they would have the ability to run a dual energy ct scan, which will provide two unique attenuation coefficients at different energy levels, which is usually enough information to distinguish most types of metals.
>>
>>8309073
a lot of colleges have the equipment necessary to collect this data, an xray source and a spectroscope is extremely accurate for determining everything down to the percentage of each element contained in a metal alloy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.