[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternate methods of making amorphous metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1469915226043.jpg (129KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1469915226043.jpg
129KB, 707x1000px
If heated to just above the melting point of its crystalline form, would clusters of atoms in metal solidify as soon as they were in an amorphous arrangement with a melting point slightly higher than the temperature of the molten metal?

Or would you have to let it heat and cool repeatedly, perhaps while bombarding with radiation to disrupt the formation of crystalline structures or by only cooling it to the melting point of the crystalline form?
>>
>>8305104
no.
>>
>>8305104
Are you drunk right now?
>>
>>8305305
No, I'm legitimately curious about alternative methods of metallurgy.
>>
post more sneks
>>
>>8305104
>tfw no qt3.14 snek gf
>>
File: Sanic.png (19KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
Sanic.png
19KB, 870x870px
>>8305104
OP it's almost impossible to heat a metal homogeneously without different regions of the melt reaching different temperatures (e.g. the edges of the mould are much cooler than the centre).

Your premise is pretty much impossible to obtain, but in reality what happens is certain regions solidify causing defects, chemical segregation and heterogeneity. Electromechanical stirring is a thing and pretty much used for what you suggested (radiation to break up crystal structures)

In order to make amorphous metals (metallic glasses) you need to rapidly cool the entire melt

>pic related
>>
>>8305104
>>8306782

oh no just you need at least 100,000,000,000,000C/sec cooling if want the metal to be amorphous
>>
>>8306782
Then what if, for a metal that has a crystalline form which melts at 1500C, you had a sample heated to 1499C at one end and 1501C at the other?
Presumably the solid metal would want to keep adding onto itself, but there'd be a point where crystalline growth would be impossible.
>>
>>8307279
Then when you cool it back down you will get crystals. Molten metal is sort of useless.
>>
>>8307294
If amorphous forms can survive higher temperatures though, then would they not spontaneously form once the crystalline form reaches the barrier for temperatures it can survive?
>>
>>8307314
They don't survive those temperatures. No go read a book on metallurgy
>>
>>8307366
Do all amorphous forms have lower heat resistance than the crystalline form?
I'd be surprised, because some structures in metal with unusual heat-related properties (altered black body radiation) have been created before.
>>
File: fig1.gif (16KB, 670x526px) Image search: [Google]
fig1.gif
16KB, 670x526px
>>8307388
Amorphous metal is not thermodynamically favorable. If you get it past a certain temperature for a certain amount of time it will form crystals
>>
>>8307434
Doesn't answer my question.
>>
>>8307521
Then go learn about metallurgy and figure out the answer on your own.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.