[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lab mice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 110529184047_1_540x360.jpg (12KB, 540x329px) Image search: [Google]
110529184047_1_540x360.jpg
12KB, 540x329px
I've been looking into biochemistry and I was reading some laboratory job descriptions, and almost all of them mentioned working with lab mice. I know I won't be taken seriously for this, but are any harm caused to them? Because I feel like I would worry about being extra safe and caring to them, and if other people were mean to them it would be hard to suck it up. If this is how I feel, should I not persue this career?
>>
I think I answered my own question when I found this.
>>
>>8305118
If you can't imagine being able to more or less torture another living thing, then put it in a device and chop its head off, then pick it apart, no, you shouldn't consider that career.

This is my dilemma as well. Very few cases where there's a feasible experimental design that doesn't involve damaging or killing the mice to have the means to get at the data you're after.
>>
>>8305087
>I know I won't be taken seriously for this
Then why are you posting it
>>
>>8305174
Because I meant I wasn't going to be taken seriously for my own feelings towards mice. Not for my question, which was whether or not they are harmed.
>>
>>8305137
That is pretty saddening. I understand it will happen, but I just don't want to be the person to do it.
>>
>>8305198
>I understand it will happen, but I just don't want to be the person to do it.
>I just don't want to be the person to do it.
I hope this makes you feel a deep sense of shame, entrapment, and self disgust. It is proof that you're self aware, and able to admit you desire the fruits but not the labor to create them.
>>
>>8305204
Alright anon, so if I said animal testing shouldn't happen at all then what would that make me? I'm not a bad person for not wanting to hurt animals, you're just reaching for a dumb reason to make someone feel bad on the internet today
>>
>>8305213
>Alright anon, so if I said animal testing shouldn't happen at all then what would that make me?
Depends. What would it make you?

>I'm not a bad person for not wanting to hurt animals
Of course you're not. I wouldn't say it's ultimately all about actions, but rather honesty and awareness.

Know what I did today? I went and bought some ground turkey in a store. Supposedly it's humanely raised, not bred to the point where they can't move around properly and need to be artificially inseminated, etc, but who knows? So between this posting and the last I was removing it from the plastic tube it comes all nicely packed and frozen in. Throwing it in a pan with some other stuff, and soon, I will feast on the flesh of a dead animal I very likely wouldn't have the spine to kill myself. I'm feeding on fruits I myself would have psychological difficulty producing, I am reliant on someone who has -done it for me-.

This is, within my own logical framework, inarguably disgusting. I accepted this long ago, but can't remove turkey from my diet. But at least I'm honest, and not willfully ignorant of the grand chain and the nature of my place in it.

That's what it's all about. Honesty. The desire and actions to free oneself from comfortable delusion when given the means.
>>
>>8305236
>I accepted this long ago, but can't remove turkey from my diet.
Yes you can.
>That's what it's all about. Honesty.
Congrats, you're still lying to yourself.
>>
>>8305253
I can't. I have many allergies and SIBO, as well as other dietary stuff to work around.

You need to bear in mind that your idea of the typical case is not universal, you're a being of finite mind and your heuristics can be wrong. I've starved down to nearly skin and bones, and it took years of iteration to manage to eat.

Congrats, you've encountered the means for mind expansion.
>>
>>8305198
I would say you could work on one of those computer simulations that is going to replace the need to kill mice, but I imagine making that will require lots of dead mice.
>>
ITT: the reason biology is a soft science
>>
>>8305338
you're a sad little boy
>>
>>8305423
and you are what exactly
>>
>>8305087
It's ok, you don't have to kill the mouseys to get their blood. You just politely ask them to donate a little bit at a time.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.