[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cryonics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (19KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
19KB, 284x178px
Have we made any significant progress towards being able to "freeze" people without rupturing every single cell in their body? I know there's that special liquid that doesn't freeze but it doesn't seem practical to replace every single cell with it and then undo it later.
>>
>>8301023
>cryogenics
>science

Back to >>>/lesswrong/
>>
>>8301023

All you need to do is travel near the speed of light and time will slow down enough that it'll take a few minutes to travel years into the future so just do that OP
>>
>>8301023

http://www.arigosbiomedical.com/

currently our best bet for improvement.
>>
>>8301023
The answer lies within mucous.
>>
>>8301023

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/21/how-the-alaska-wood-frog-survives-being-frozen/
>>
File: holding_ice.jpg (102KB, 1200x913px) Image search: [Google]
holding_ice.jpg
102KB, 1200x913px
I'm probably totally wrong about this but would any technology used for creating clear ice be applicable for cryogenics, assuming the technology doesn't have deadly side effects. There was one company that used sound waves to create crystal clear ice. Wouldn't this work in cryogenics?
>>
>>8301180

Use the frogs method of encasing yourself in mucous.

Make a giant vat like in OP's picture.

Breath in the man made or otherwise mucous after making it bacteria free using an as of yet undefined process.

This would be to coat your lungs and probably good to drink it as well so your other internals get a good amount as well.

Then add the ice.
Clear or not makes no difference but it does look pretty.

When you defrost you will be pretty much dead so you have to have a robot on
standby to defribulate with electricity.

Maybe one to give you the heimlich manouevre to cough and vomit out all the mucous.

I do not remember if the frog dehydrates himself before hand. This would probably be worth looking into as it is key to its cryogenesis.
>>
>>8301193
Basically, we'll need to splice our DNA with frogs before we get in the freezer.
>>
>>8301193
The frogs avoid ice crystals in their cells by loading up on glucose. It acts as an anti freeze and prevents crystal formation.
>>
>>8301023
>Have we made any significant progress towards being able to "freeze" people without rupturing every single cell in their body?
Sure. We've been able to do that for some time now.

>I know there's that special liquid that doesn't freeze
Several of them, in fact, but yes.

>but it doesn't seem practical to replace every single cell with it and then undo it later.
The point is not to undo it later. The point is to preserve things well enough that you can, with sufficiently future tech, put the preserved body in a scanner and rebuild their body from scratch, with any problems fixed in the process. Restoring the preserved body to working order is not the plan at all; the plan is to recover whatever information from your body that makes you you (this is likely *mostly* but not entirely brain contents only), and put that into an all-new body. Hell, there are versions of cryonics where they only preserve your head and throw away the rest of your body; they'll just grow you a new one based on your DNA when it's restoration time.
>>
>>8301272
Didn't a guy survive for a month in the back of a freezing car drinking coca-cola without any food?

Cryogenesis is starting to look more like a ratio puzzle at this point.
>>
>>8301272
Yes but the exterior cells must be preserved in mucous... anything exposed to air.
Hence the inhaling mucous meme.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.