[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does smoking tobacco negatively or positively affect cognitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: cigarettes.jpg (4MB, 3500x2325px) Image search: [Google]
cigarettes.jpg
4MB, 3500x2325px
Does smoking tobacco negatively or positively affect cognitive abilities?
>>
>>8298900
yes
>>
>>8298900
bump
>>
>>8298900
Nicotine is a stimulant. Stimulants, by their nature, improve cognitive abilities while you're on them.
>>
>>8298930
>while you're on them
I am aware of that. but on the long term, does smoking actually kill brain cells, thus leading to a cognitive decline or is this minor?
>>
>>8298930
I'm not sure i buy this.

MDMA is a stimulant, but i don't think it does anything to your cognitive capabilities.
Nicotine may simply excite certain parts of the brain. On cognition? Probably null effect.
>>
>>8298935
i don't know about that i was on molly at a party dancing to music that wasn't even playing i could still hear it after it stopped. That's improved brain function
>>
>>8298934
of course it does. you're inhaling fucking vinyl chloride, which causes malignant brain tumors for fucks sake.
>>
>>8298944
>idiot doesn't know what cognition is
Not a surprise.
>>
>>8298944
>That's improved brain function
No, that's the Tumor developing
>>
>>8298946
>vinyl chloride
you inhale that whenever anything undergoes combustion,
>>
>>8298958
You are actively doing this to yourself at a much higher amount than someone who is not.
>>
>>8298958
lol you can't be seriously arguing this
>>
>>8298958

Good thing I don't spend my time standing around chimneys or behind trucks.
>>
If smoking-is-harmless-anon is any indication, negative
>>
Smoking is obsolete for any substance. Get with the times and vape and/or dab, faggot.
>>
>>8298900
You must be a smoker to ask this.

Seriously, you think tobacco is the worst thing is there?

The Empire (aka smoking companies) strikes back with vaping. From now on "smoking" (aka vaping) is innocent, cancer free, the only way to quit tobacco and allowed to infants in many flavors including milk. Vaping disengages smoking from agriculture and ties smoking to the chemical industry. Soon to a vape shop near you: many flavors to attract youngsters including marijuana.

Let's wait another 50 years for the new cancers to manifest.
>>
>>8298900
Nicotine operates in a manner similar to caffeine, so yes. Of course, it's a much more fleeting effect. I'm addicted to dip right now, have been since my sophomore year of undergrad. I love throwing in a lip when I'm in the lab or doing work at home. Marginally better for you than smoking since you don't inhale combusted plant matter, but still a nasty habit.
>>
>>8298947
the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses.

Whatever you wanna call it, he was able to perfectly hear the music even after it stopped. That suggests enhanced temporal lobe capabilities.
>>
>>8299155
The psychedelic effects would render it pointless for that.

>Mmmm, this notebook paper feels sooo good
>Wow, what a beautiful graph
>>
Statistically, nicotine is good for focus and efficiency but I can't recall anything saying that it'll actually make you smarter
>>
>>8299122
>Let's wait another 50 years for the new cancers to manifest.
Well, it will be pretty hard to decide which kind of cancers are caused by vaporizers and which one are caused by the radiation due to the extremely increased usage of mobile phones. Apple will leave Philip Morris holding the baby - and vice versa.
>>
>>8299359
>cancer
>from non-ionizing radiation
So you don't understand radiation.
>>
>>8299368
Sure Mr. Corporate Fag... I
>don't understand radiation.

I'm deeply sorry for my stupidity and the stupidity of other scientists that led the IARC to classify mobile phone radiation as "possibly carcinogenic".
You with your brilliant mind know it better of course.
>>
>>8298900
It boosts focus, memory, and intelligence. This goes away if one quits though.

It also protects against schizoid disorders, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's.
>>
>>8298930
nicotine is unique in that depending on the rate of dosage it can have stimulating or depressive effects
>>
>>8298930
When I smoked, I found that if I chose to chain smoke I could concentrate on dull tasks. That is I could force myself to stay on task by overloading nicotine. Though there is such a thing as smoking oneself sick.

All said and done though the need to take smoke breaks or else your concentration falls to shit outweighs this in most cases.
>>
Smoking is a very outdated practice.

Weed = vape concentrates
Nicotine = vapes/RDAs/etc

Get with the times old man. Also if you want nootropic effects get Tiantepine off the clearnet, works legit well.
>>
What about pipe tobacco by itself? I assume it's much less harmful to your body than any cigarette would be. Am I wrong?
>>
just throwing this out there

I have ADHD-PI which evidence suggests is due to faulty norepinephrine receptors which seems to fit my sluggish symptoms, all the pills I have taken have side effects like dependence, withdrawal, paranoia, priapism and hallucinations

Any suggestions? is there something that will raise norepinephrine or inhibit its uptake a little without adversely affecting anything else?
>>
>>8300205
I have no idea, but it's just nicotine, try it and see if it does what you want it to do. It takes awhile to get addicted
>>
i want to quit but its so hard fml

its easy when im alone but when theres a party and alcohol and everyones having a smoke but me i cant take it
>>
>>8299411
>disagree
>"lol corporate shill"
can't wait for school to start back up
>>
>>8300205
Try shrooms bro.
>>
>>8300511
peer-reviewed proofs of incorrect correlation and misenterpretation of many of them
>>
>>8300538
I'm not sure what difference that is supposed to make.
>>
Why would smoking make you smarter? No known stimulant have been scientifically abled to enhance intelligence, otherwise we'd be writing scripts for these all over the place. There's quite a difference between performance and intelligence in this area. Smoking is incredibly harmful for your health and has not been proven to enhance intelligence, only performance for short whiles. Same goes for other stimulants like methamphetamines, they enhance focus and performance, but not intelligence.
>>
>>8301024
>Smoking is incredibly harmful for your health

I would see that as a very gross over exaggeration of just how bad smoking is. It takes many decades for harm to even start setting in for some smokers and that's not even the majority of smokers.

>and has not been proven to enhance intelligence

Come again?

https://www.sott.net/article/269265-Brain-Researchers-Smoking-increases-intelligence

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-smoke-more-cigarettes
>>
>>8299637
>citation needed
it's bad for the circulatory system, so how can it be good for brain function or anyother thing (unless of course it isn't)
>>
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3151730/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352154615000145
>>
>>8298930
Is it a stimulant even after you've smoked enough to be addicted? With things like caffeine you build up a tolerance and need bigger doses to get the same effect.
>>
>>8298958
>you inhale that whenever anything undergoes combustion,
THEN DON'T INHALE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN COMBUSTED YOU FUCKWIT

no, weed is not okay either. fuck off.
>>
File: 1469925460669.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1469925460669.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
>coat lungs with tar
>reduced oxygenation of blood
>poorer cognitive performance

hurr
>>
>>8299411
This is why I don't visit /sci, or any american 'knowledge' honeypots. You faglords seem to have no education at all.
>>
>>8302072
>citation needed
and kys
>>
>>8303223
You should be afraid as hell when you're walking the street for all those metal boxes around you combusting disgusting cancerous aromatic chemicals, and leaving the combustion gasses and particles all over the street aren't you? Why do you think the burning of largely natural cellulose-based chemicals is in any way more harmful, even when directly inhaling?
>>
>>8302072
>bad for the circulatory system

Then why do so few smokers suffer heart attacks?
>>
>>8304205
Is this sarcasm?
Cardiac arrests and arterial blocks are incredibly common amongst smokers and directly linked to the practice
Are you an idiot?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.