[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proxima

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: daedalus1228685544[1].jpg (59KB, 871x626px) Image search: [Google]
daedalus1228685544[1].jpg
59KB, 871x626px
So when do we build a relativistic speed space probe and shoot it towards Proxima Centauri?
>>
How far is Proxima Centauri??

How long a shuttle travel to Proxima Centauri?

If a ship craft travel at speed of 650,000 mph, How long it would take to reach Proxima Centauri?
>>
>>8298263
never
>>
Tomorrow

Actually though I think that starshot breakthrough is going for it within two decades? No idea how they play on not having their probes fry though, and they haven't honestly published anything to make me have faith in the project.
>>
>>8299209
The idea is to send thousands of probes at the same time. You only need one to survive.
Whether that is actually a feasible course of action or not though....
>>
How much energy does it take to accelerate a really small probe to like, 50% speed of light? Something with the smallest possible camera, maybe a sensor for oxygen and co2, and a transmitter plus enough electricity to run all that for an hour or so.

I don't know, what would that weight if you really put your back into making it light, 20 grams? So you flick that to that planet we found in alpha centauri and see what it transmits back, maybe send like 10 or 20 of these so you have higher chances of receiving something back
>>
>>8298943
Are you too stupid to use wolfram alpha
>>
>>8298263
>wants to send a bunch of disposable probes for one mission

>not just building a big ass telescope

we can learn all about nearby solar systems by just looking at them from here.
>>
>>8299307
This my friends - focus on improving telescopes, optics allow us to learn even more.
>>
>>8299273

Still an awful lot. Such a thing has been proposed before, but they rely on drawing power equivalent to dozens of power stations running full tilt to get each probe up to speed.
>>
>>8299273
Look up Breakthrough Starshot.

They are looking at getting energy in the order of terajoules (to get up to about 0.2 c).
The plan is to build a some super powerful lasers and accelerate them over a period of about 10 minutes.
They want to get the array up to around 100 GW but that is not fucking likely.
For comparison, the largest nuclear power plant in the world generates about 8 GW.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.