[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys study math? My mind always glazes over when I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20160819-WA0016.jpg (190KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160819-WA0016.jpg
190KB, 1200x1600px
How do you guys study math? My mind always glazes over when I have to read theorems in textbooks/classes.

I'm not bad at math, I do well in my classes but when I am confronted with logic or proofs my brain shuts off. How can I avoid this?

For reference, I found linear algebra much harder than diffeq because of the amount of theorems and terms that you need to memorize and apply.

The reason I ask is because I wish to supplement my engineering degree with a math one but higher level math is all proofs and theorems
>>
File: 1471601441502.jpg (126KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471601441502.jpg
126KB, 900x1200px
We have a name for people like you -- A brainlet. Just let all the hard math to us smarter people.
>>
>>8297144
nice meme
>>
>>8297130
Pretty simple. You don't really like Math. Sure you may have fooled yourself into thinking that you sorta like math, but deep down inside you find it boring, so your brain just shuts off and you daze off into la-la-land.

You're never going to get good at anything if you don't have some interest.

You're never going to be great at anything if you don't love what you do.
>>
>>8297130
You don't want a math degree. You legitimately don't like doing math if your brain shuts off when confronted with logic.
>>
>>8297130
you really don't like math. diffeqs for engineers is very, very different than diffeqs for mathematicians. you're not supposed to "memorize" the theorems and terms, you're supposed to learn what the words are supposed to mean and get a feel for how things are supposed to work, and so gain some intuition about things and interiorize the main results.
>>
>>8297130
Don't do too much. Maths is more difficult than eng. And eng is difficult enough for most people.
>>
>>8297130
>How can I avoid this?
First, come to terms with the fact that this is what math really is. It's all about theorems and their proofs. It's about convincing yourself and others that such-and-such is true with absolute certainty via deductive logic. Determine if you actually like the idea of that.

Second, you have to read math very slowly. Every word in a definition and a theorem is put there for a reason. If you just skim through the text without convincing yourself that you understand what every one of those words and statements mean, you will get lost, and your brain will shut off. Let's say you're reading an obtuse proof, and you come to a statement that you don't understand. Don't just immediately read on, as if it's a minor detail. Every statement in a proof (usually) follows deductively from the previous statement. Make sure you understand how that statement follows from the previous one. If you don't, do some scratch word, refer to the definitions of the terms being used, or whatever else you need to do. You won't get bored if you are actively interacting with the text.
>>
>>8297297
>You won't get bored if you are actively interacting with the text.
Very true. It is, however, quite likely that you will soon become exhausted by it.
>>
>>8297297
Now that you mention it, I think it is more I get exhausted quickly, not that it's boring per se. When I sit down and really try, I get it and it's rewarding. However, it takes alot of effort, more so than physics or EE classes
>>
>>8297690
math is hard
personally, I love the challenge and that's the main reason I do math
>>
>>8297130
>memorize and apply
typical engineer behaviour
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.