[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fell for the biology degree meme, need help transitioning into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (9KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 230x219px
Fell for the biology degree meme, need help transitioning into computer programming

where can I start learning python and java online that isnt retarded khan academy or youtube jargon?
>>
>>8296691
if you have to come here and ask, then I fear me it is not KA that is retarded, but you

now go away and die
>>
>>8296691

If you need to resort to asking an anime forum for help on how to start programming then there's a pretty good chance you're not going to learn.
>>
How did you fall for the Biology meme?
>>
>>8296691
Go to the library, get a Python manual, and work through all of the exercises.
>>
>>8296691
>fell for eating junk food, now I want to eat dog faeces
Kek
>>
File: Jshit.jpg (210KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jshit.jpg
210KB, 1024x768px
>>8296691
>java

Why the fuck are you learning that shit?
>>
>>8296691
No online guide is as good as a good book.
>>
>>8296691
herefam
https://www.codecademy.com

ignore the h8ers, if you gave up because you sucked to begin with you'd never learn anything
>>
>>8296691
>Download visual studio
>Buy or download "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Stroustrup
>Read it and do the exercises
>Buy or download a data structures book like Drozdek's "Data Structures and Algorithms in C++" or Aho/Hopcroft/Ullman's "Data Structures and Algorithms"
>Practice implementing various data structures

You are now a beginner programmer who's allowed to touch code

>[math][/math]Read:
>Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago
>Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective by Bryant & O'Hallaron
>Computer Networks: A Systems Approach by Peterson and Davie
>Modern Operating Systems by Tanenbaum
>Algorithm Design by Kleinberg and Tardos
>Programming Languages by Tucker and Noonan
>The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering by Brooks
>Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, and Vlissides

You are now a journeyman programmer who's allowed to make code
>>
>>8296806
Who's going to hire you without a degree?
>>
>>8296876
>Hurr Durr I need a CS degree to get a job with a computer
>>
File: 1471137573317.jpg (193KB, 1100x977px) Image search: [Google]
1471137573317.jpg
193KB, 1100x977px
>>8296691
Just go into bio-informatics, m8
>>
>>8296876
OP already has a biology degree.
>>
>>8296806

>Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++

You mean the book that requires you to magically know how to use if statements and logical operators to do exercises in a chapter which makes no reference to them at all?
>>
>>8296876

I've been on salary doing programming for six years now and my bachelor's degree was in linguistics. I don't think I've even met one in house developer who went to school for comp sci, though I do know more than one comp sci grad who's stuck working customer service at a call center lol. Think of programming like basketball or guitar playing. Going to school for those things isn't going to mean shit if you suck at doing them when it comes to actual performance as opposed to academic trivia. Companies just want results, if you can make results happen then you'll get a good job. Nobody refused to let Jimi Hendrix play because he didn't have a music theory degree. Normies make out programming to be this mysterious otherworldy thing, but at the end of the day it's simply a question of whether you can make what others want or need happen through the use of your code. The programming is just a tool, the real focus should be on what you want or need to use that tool for. You wouldn't ask how to get good at using a hammer, you'd ask how you can use a hammer to help work on your specific home rennovation task. If your attitude is "I want to learn how to program so I can get a job" I'm pretty confident you will learn effectively nothing.
>>
>>8296691
The fuck? Why did you get a bio degree if you didn't want to do bio?
>>
>>8296953

He probably just wanted to make lots of money and figured a random STEM major would get him that.
>>
>>8296913
You can't instantly grasp how to use if statements and logical operators?
>>
>>8296983

I didnt even know there were such a thing nor did i know those words until i read about them in another book.
>>
File: C++.png (89KB, 395x622px) Image search: [Google]
C++.png
89KB, 395x622px
It's right there
>>
>>8296992

Yes that chapter about selection is right after, not before, or during, the chapter whose exercises require selection structures knowledge.
>>
learn C you fuck
>>
>>8297002

If you wanted to dig like really deep into mud what would you rather use?
C(Just hands)
C++(Shovel)
Java/Python(Dredge)
>>
>>8297007
(You)
>>
>>8297000
>I have never used a TOC before
>>
File: 1378055089492.png (435KB, 1200x500px) Image search: [Google]
1378055089492.png
435KB, 1200x500px
>>8297007
>>
>>8297007
C (Just hands that are very well trained and strong)

C++ (Shovel but if you want you can include the upgrade library that turns your shovel into the master digger, digger of universes.)

Java/Python (Shovel that weighs a lot more than C++ but somehow is able to get less done and the upgrades come in C which implies that at best you can call in a couple of really strong hands to help you dig a little bit before the entire digging operation freezes)

Fixed your meme
>>
File: 1467916833879.jpg (91KB, 439x477px) Image search: [Google]
1467916833879.jpg
91KB, 439x477px
>>8297007
>grouping java and python together

>>>/g/et
>>
>>8297014

I see you are a little slow so ill try to use simpler language so that even you can understand.
In chapter 3 there are exercises that are falsely supposed to help you strengthen your understanding of instruction supplied by that chapter and chapters before it, not after it through application of their instructions.
However in chapters 3 exercises, one of the problems requires you to know the instruction offered by the chapter 4, which is a chapter that comes after chapter 3 not before it.
Using table of contents has nothing to do with it.
The fact is that the book is flawed, as it presupposes knowledge in exercises, that it has yet to give.
>>
>>8297032
>books can only be read cover to cover in order

kek
>>
>>8297046

You have no argument other than pretending that what you say is what i said?
>>
OP here, I received a bio degree from St louis university this past May and I have a few months before my loans go into repayment (22k), I fell for it bc I didnt read the curriculum becasue i was a neet nerd at the time and now I realize my courses arent difficult, I have a 3.6 gpa in biology and I am interested in using computers for bioinfo type business, preferably not research but industry

all the replies are gr8 btw
>>
>taking advice from /sci/
Just get a fucking biotech job you idiot, half the undergrads on this fucking board are going to be pursuing a career as Starbucks baristas
>>
>>8296691
ocw.mit.edu
6.00sc
amazing class, python-based but it's not really trying to teach python, it teaches general computer science concepts, 10/10
>>
>>8297007
what about C#
>>
File: C# java.png (486KB, 1167x4890px) Image search: [Google]
C# java.png
486KB, 1167x4890px
>>8298106
C# is Java with less gay. Still pretty gay though.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.